Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Who does your service?

• I do EVERYTHING!

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • I do a lot of stuff, but know my limits.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • I take care of the basics. (lube, air pressure, bulbs)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I'm sending my service guy's kid through college.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Service? What's that?

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who does it?? Do you do your own? Have a mechanical buddy? Let your dealer get dirty hands?

Just wondering what everyone does when it comes to wrenching, be it oil changes, tire changes, valve adjustment, farkle install??

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, I do almost everything, but I admit I paid for my last valve adjustment. Oddly enough, I'll do a valve adjustment on my BMW in less than 20 minutes, but am chicken to touch the KLR..

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I've done everything so far except put a new rear tire on. (Often...OFTEN with a little help from my friends, although my confidence is growing.)

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh come on paper! It's not hard at all.
I know.. I even have a video on the entire process. The reason I didn't do it last time was that I was having FI mapping done on my V Strom and the mechanic that was doing it needed some welding done on a race quad exhaust, so we traded service for service..
I just rode down to his place and TIG'd the exhaust at the same time he adjusted valves..

We both appreciated the work the other guy did, so it was a win/win situation.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
I do all my own wrenching, and I do all my own stunts.
BUT......Anyone qualified that's teaching me walking me thru a process can wrench away.

I don't leave my bike at a stealership for a 10 dollar an hour tech to do a job half
right hurrying to stay in his/ her alotted time quota labor time that the factory
thinks a job can be done in.

CheapAndCarefulAndThorough

·
Registered
206 Posts
I usually do my own work, Im hoping to get involved in a few Tech days to learn all I can about the KLR.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
I do it all myself. If I had to pay I couldn't have the toys I have.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did the Thermo-Bob, doohickey and 1st valve lash inspection myself. Two valves were more than 50% toward the tight side at just 600 miles. (1st inspection at 15k? Oh, heck no!) So, I went online, found some clear instructions and brought them all closer to the middle/slightly loose end. The doohickey upgrade took longer but was not really that hard. All accessories like crash bars, Scottoiler, LED lighting,etc... are fun afternoon projects at home. Like Paper, I've got a 08' GL1800 a.k.a. Half an Acura. It requires less upkeep than my car. The KLR keeps my wrenching skills in tune. =)

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
I do it all with the help of beer, and Bacon. And yes with friends who have beer, and Bacon... Here piggy...piggy

CheapMark... We want to see pics of the doo change dOOd.All the best.

MB4

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was graciously provided with a free work lift and all the tools of my buddy's m/c repair shop when I did the Thermo-Bob, valve adj. & doohickey upgrade. Not wanting to tie it up any longer than I had to, I worked steadily and didn't get any photos. THe bike was too new for anything to be amiss yet. It was a simple remove/replace with a torsion spring upgrade.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Photos will accompany, bloody knuckles and all. I gotta work on my pic posting skills tho. All I can do so far is attach a thumbnail that enlarges when clicked on. That's a good enuff start for a wannabe computer nerd, biker, husband, friend, dad, etc.

Slowly getting better at all of them,
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've done everything so far except put a new rear tire on. (Often...OFTEN with a little help from my friends, although my confidence is growing.)
I and a buddy spent the better part of an hour getting a new Kenda 270 on the rear. It was like wrestling an anaconda! I would have had someone else do it had I known. Suprisingly, it took me twenty minutes by myself getting the new Kenda on the front. Other than that, I've done it all by myself. Good tools help. I've got almost all of those. Even still, there's always more better tools to have. The money pit my wife loathes.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I think you should have included "I do all my own work with the help of Tech Day assistance".

I know some of you would have never attempted your services without having someone assist you at a tech day or another location. I definitely was/am one of those KLR riders. My previous 685 and recent 705 upgrades were completed at EagleMikes because I know my limits. I cannot see very well or at all in low light situations plus I have never mastered the C-clip for the new pistons. I also enjoy spending time with Mike and Geneva. Another repair I am getting help with is the removal of the broken bolt pieces in the rear sub-frame mounts. Frank of MotoWizard (a good friend) is helping with this. There is a piece of Easy-Out in the rightside and this has become a nightmare. I pulled the sub-frame off yesterday and will probably get the repair completed Saturday.

I know Joe does ALL of his repairs and has help 100's KLR riders at various tech days. Thanks Joe.

I recently helped a member with his 685 install and whether he knows it or not he did the installation with a bit of advice. Advice, direction, friendship, whatever you call it sure adds confidence.

EagleMike, Wyman Winn, Larryboy, TOBJ (Joe), TubeBender, Stu, SLO, Les, and so many more I did not list are 100%'rs. The rest of us are the ROW and there is nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
650 Posts
THe bike was too new for anything to be amiss yet. .
Your new here.. arnt you.. Have you checked the nut under the handlebars, the subframe bolts, the rear brake movement, the grease in the steering head, the grease in the swingarm, the grease in the wheelbearings.. there's plenty to be amiss. Yes I know, thats lots of stuff that can be wrong... but the bike is almost bulletproof once you've gon thru it. it's just fit and finish form Kaw. that sucks.

you've bought loctite right?

I know Joe does ALL of his repairs and has help 100's KLR riders at various tech days. Thanks Joe.
You and the others are welcome Tim.

The rest of us are the ROW and there is nothing wrong with that.
absolutely right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I lied in my poll answer, I did not balance my tires. Other than that I've done it all. I have a strong mechanical backround, have worked on other bikes a bit, an awsome set of tools, and my Dad is a TV repairman...

Really, with the help of the forums, my manuals, and a little time I have been able to do all of the repairs & maintance stuff myself.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Only thing I don't do anymore is tire changes, just too much of a pain in the arse. Especially with these wimpy aluminum rims that are just asking to be dinged up!

John

1 - 20 of 29 Posts