Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was taking the tapet cover off to do the valves. One of the rubber/metal spacers for the cover went missing as I took the cover off. Didn't see or hear it drop, and looked everywhere on the bike. What's needed to get into the abyss of doom. I tried running a magnet down there and turned up nothing. The engine doesn't turn over counter clockwise now, so it must be jammed up down there. :t1202: :banghead:

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've just checked and reshimmed the valves on a friends '05, noticed that one of those rubber washer things stayed with the bolt while one stayed with the cover-you might be lucky !
Unless you pull the cam chain up (you have tied it so it can't fall down haven't you?) it will "pool" around the crankshaft sprocket and kind of jam things up down there when you try to turn the engine over. Definitely not a good idea to force things.
If you have dropped something down there, the very least you're going to have to do is to take off the left outer cover and go fishing-again you may get lucky.

hope this helps

iddy

·
Registered
378 Posts
Always my biggest fear as well, when I take of the top cover for any work. Loosing something down in that dark hole with a pool of black oil at the bottom... Ouch. Hope you have luck in finding it.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Are you absolutely sure that it isn't somewhere else? I've had similar happen only to find a screw or washer rolled up against a wall. Hate to see you go to a lot of work for nothing.

However, as you say, you can't turn it over so as mentioned the left side cover has to come off. You may have to go further than that and get the rotor off too. Good time to do the Doo if you had any intention of that.

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. It's frustrating. Keep us posted with a picture or too of what you find.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've just checked and reshimmed the valves on a friends '05, noticed that one of those rubber washer things stayed with the bolt while one stayed with the cover-you might be lucky !
Unless you pull the cam chain up (you have tied it so it can't fall down haven't you?) it will "pool" around the crankshaft sprocket and kind of jam things up down there when you try to turn the engine over. Definitely not a good idea to force things.
If you have dropped something down there, the very least you're going to have to do is to take off the left outer cover and go fishing-again you may get lucky.

hope this helps

iddy
Yea I knew about typing up the cam chain, just had no idea those rubber washers were in the cover. I took off the left side cover and didn't find anything. I ordered the tool to take off the stator and then I'm hoping to find it. Terrible timing because I'm had been planning an 11 day, 4-5,000 mile ride starting on Monday. What's even better is that I paid for 2 day air shipping from bike bandit for the tool on Friday afternoon. As we speak they have yet to process my order.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On a side note, I was suprised to see that kawi recomends doing the valves at 7,000 miles. I've read that a lot of people say to check them at 600-1,000 miles. My bike has 1,000 miles on it and one exhaust valve was at the tight tolerance and another intake valve was not too far behind it. Bad luck that I had, but I'm glad I did the maintence.

·
Premium Member
5,482 Posts
On a side note, I was suprised to see that kawi recomends doing the valves at 7,000 miles. I've read that a lot of people say to check them at 600-1,000 miles. My bike has 1,000 miles on it and one exhaust valve was at the tight tolerance and another intake valve was not too far behind it. Bad luck that I had, but I'm glad I did the maintence.
My Gen2 manual calls for the first valve clearance check at 15,000 miles and apparently every 15,000 miles after that if I'm interpreting it correctly since it runs out at 22,500 miles.

I checked mine at 5K and pretty much found what you did, especially 1 exhaust valve that was outside the tolerance. I can't imagine what they'd be like if I'd waited until 15K. That's coming up and I'll check them again around the 15K mark at the end of this season. I set them all really loose.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: My order from bike bandit shipped yesterday and I'll have the tool for the stator by tomorrow before the end of the day. Hope I can locate that washer then and get the bike back on the road.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I recieved my puller from bikebandit a few weeks ago. They sent the wrong size puller, even after I asked on their website in the tech section under that puller if it would work. They sent me a 20mm puller. Due to it being a close out item, they would only give me in store credit and wouldn't do anything about my $30 I spent for expedited shipping costs. So I ended up ordering from Happy Trails the correct puller and after 12 days they finally processed my order and I recieved the puller today. I know a lot of guys run Happy Trails crash bars and skid plates, but I wasn't impressed with their extremely slow processing time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I got the washer out and tried to rotate the motor to get it back to TDC and it doesn't turn over all the way still. I noticed that there is a big gap between the cams and the valve shims. It also sounds like a thud from inside the cylinder like the connecting rod is banging into the cyclinder wall or something. Anyone have any ideas about what is going on/happened? I'm pulling my hair out with all these delays with crappy customer service with two different companies and my bike being laid up for 6 weeks already.

View attachment 4874

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Well, I recieved my puller from bikebandit a few weeks ago. They sent the wrong size puller, even after I asked on their website in the tech section under that puller if it would work. They sent me a 20mm puller. Due to it being a close out item, they would only give me in store credit and wouldn't do anything about my $30 I spent for expedited shipping costs. So I ended up ordering from Happy Trails the correct puller and after 12 days they finally processed my order and I recieved the puller today. I know a lot of guys run Happy Trails crash bars and skid plates, but I wasn't impressed with their extremely slow processing time.
I know it's too late now but you should have ordered it from Eagle Mike direct. Would have saved you a lot of grief.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
So where are you at now? Can you turn it over? The washer has been contacted by a couple of chain links. Did you reef on it hard when you were trying to turn it?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As the bike sits, I have both cams out and I'm trying to turn the motor over by hand. I have the bolt that holds the starter clutch on screwed into the crank shaft and I'm using a wrench to turn it over. Using the area where the woodruff key goes as a reference point, the crank turns only one revolution before the motor seems to bind up. Turn the motor back clockwise and the same thing. I can't get it to TDC to put the cams back in to get it back together.

·
Administrator
8,284 Posts
If the gap between the cam and the bucket is as big as it looks, and one or more is stuck that way, then the valve(s) are likely bent.

Being bent, they cannot close, and so the piston could be hitting the valve(s) when you approach top dead center. I thought it was a non-interference engine, but I have never tested that.

If you can't get that valve to come up then the head has to come off to sort things out, because there's no sense trying to proceed if that valve won't come up.

What you can try is to take a short length of 5/8" wooden dowel and place it against the bucket and give it a bit of a rap with a plastic mallet. If it comes up it may have been crap stuck somewhere, but if it doesn't that's an indication of a bent valve.

Tom

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
I'm having a hard time with the possibility of this amount of damage from dropping a washer down the abyss.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm having a hard time with the possibility of this amount of damage from dropping a washer down the abyss.
After I had first set the valves, I put everything together and took the gamble that the washer didn't drop into the abyss, and was just lost in the crap on my garage floor. I put everything back together and tried starting the motor. Could maybe possible a valve could have bent then? Seems like crappy luck that'd happen, but I've had nothing but crappy luck with this entire process. :fiddler: :Quit complaining:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I'm going to hopefully pull the head off tonight or tomorrow and see what the outcome is. Seems to point in that direction that a valve may be bent. :think1:

·
Administrator
8,284 Posts
...Could maybe possible a valve could have bent then?...
Who knows what happened at that moment. It wasn't anything good, but might not have been horrible.

Before you pull the head, remove the cams and try to free the valve as suggested above. If it frees up, then put everything back together and remove the spark plug.

Turn the engine over a few times (counterclockwise) and observe the valve train. If, after turning through several revolutions, the valve gap checks OK you may have dodged a bullet and be good to go.

If it does look good, then to be really sure hold the KACR open and do a compression check.

Tom

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
After I had first set the valves, I put everything together and took the gamble that the washer didn't drop into the abyss, and was just lost in the crap on my garage floor. I put everything back together and tried starting the motor. Could maybe possible a valve could have bent then? Seems like crappy luck that'd happen, but I've had nothing but crappy luck with this entire process. :fiddler: :Quit complaining:
Okay I was under the impression that the starter button had not been pushed but I suspected as much when I saw the deep chain tooth marks in the washer. Something has broke somewhere and now the sad task of finding it begins.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts