Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short of paying top dollar from one of the rental companies....
Does anyone have a KLR in decent shape to make a trip from SF to Reno and
back the weekend of the 16-17-18 Sept.

I have an experienced buddy who wants to ride up with us but I am not confident in my spare DR right now, he's considering renting from a few places but I figured if someone was interested in making a few bucks I would rather keep it in the family...

Let me know if your interested.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
I guess this means you're not making the ride with us next weekend. Bummer. :(

I'm not sure I'd want to take that risk myself. Maybe if I had a few bikes.

What's wrong with the DR?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess this means you're not making the ride with us next weekend. Bummer. :(

I'm not sure I'd want to take that risk myself. Maybe if I had a few bikes.

What's wrong with the DR?

The Reno Air Race motorcycle camping thing is the same weekend and it looks like thats going through, so no I wont be making it to ride with ya'll.

Maybe Im being paranoid about the DR but...I just got it back a few weeks ago from my brother who had it for about 2yrs, it sat for a year and when it wouldnt start for him he took it apart and put it back together.

He's a much better mechanic than I am but it seems he didnt take the time to finish this up before returning it to me. I got the Insurance and registration all sorted finally (point of contention:( ) and have been riding it to work and back the last week, about 70mi R/T.

The first ride up to work the top engine mounts came off and luckily I was able to salvage most of the hardware before it became lost on the highway.

Ive buttoned up some oil leaks and have now gone through most everything with a socket to make sure its all tight. Lots of little issues but I think Ive got em all. New tire on the way from Bikebandit for the front which has dry cracks.

The motor is super sound though, 1000mi on a new piston, fresh valves, new jets, it should run fine for another 30K. Im just worried about the little things and the tire until I can suss it all out with some good rides.

Maybe if I get the tire here in time he can ride it. Im comfortable commuting on it, just not sure if its ready for a long haul..although, maybe Im just being paranoid :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts