Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find a shift lever that works with my enduro boots. I cannot get my foot under either the stock or happy trails lever (I think it's 1in longer than stock). Unfortunately, you cannot really adjust the lever upwards as it will hit the stator cover. Need something that bends outwards, I guess. Who has found a lever that works with good protection boots?

· Registered
2006 KLX300S--2022 KLR650--2017 Z650
65 Posts
ZZnoTOP ran into the same thing with the Happy Trails lever on his 2022. He went to an IMS shifter, and he stated it allowed him to use full off road boots. I have that bike now and am repairing some wreck damage so I haven't had opportunity to test it myself. However, it definitely appears to be long enough, and that's my comparison by looking at my KLX300S with an XR650L shifter which is a long lever for off road boots. The distance is pretty much identical from the large IMS footpegs to the shifter tip, and my Gaerne and Alpine Stars boots.

· Registered
Clipped beak, raised windscreen, bars, guards, 2500 lumen lights, low pegs, slip-on, deletes + more
45 Posts
Trying to find a shift lever that works with my enduro boots. I cannot get my foot under either the stock or happy trails lever (I think it's 1in longer than stock). Unfortunately, you cannot really adjust the lever upwards as it will hit the stator cover. Need something that bends outwards, I guess. Who has found a lever that works with good protection boots?
Tusk has a great shift lever. Fits my size 13 moto boots perfectly. $25.00 if memory serves me correctly...

· Premium Member
321 Posts
I just got the IMS but due to weather I have not installed it yet. I couldn't find Tusk shifter.

· Registered
65 Posts
As a refereence, I have a tusk and it won't fit my size 16 MX boots.
Size 16? You're gonna need one of those old Harley style suicide clutch shifters that reaches up past the fuel tank...😁

Now, I'm just kidding obviously, but I do speculate that someone with a 16 boot may need to cut and weld a somewhat custom shift lever. That's a huge boot to be accommodated by any shifter on the market.

· Registered
82 Posts
Size 16? You're gonna need one of those old Harley style suicide clutch shifters that reaches up past the fuel tank...😁

Now, I'm just kidding obviously, but I do speculate that someone with a 16 boot may need to cut and weld a somewhat custom shift lever. That's a huge boot to be accommodated by any shifter on the market.
Yea, I normally wear 14wide, but nobody makes that in an MX boot. Tried Forma 15 because everyone said they are wide. They are not. The Alpinestars Tech 7 fits at size 16.

I think Africa twin DCT may be my only choice. I don't know if an even bigger shifter would hold up under a drop. I will be taking my boots along when I bike shop. Ha.

· Registered
4 Posts
a heel..toe shifter will solve that problem

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,411 Posts
Yea, I normally wear 14wide, but nobody makes that in an MX boot. Tried Forma 15 because everyone said they are wide. They are not. The Alpinestars Tech 7 fits at size 16.

I think Africa twin DCT may be my only choice. I don't know if an even bigger shifter would hold up under a drop. I will be taking my boots along when I bike shop. Ha.
You could try bringing the factory shifter to a local fabrication shop.
I’m sure they could make it longer without much hassle.

· Registered
82 Posts
You could try bringing the factory shifter to a local fabrication shop.
I’m sure they could make it longer without much hassle.
I can probably do it myself, I may mess with it since I have the tusk on there . now. I'm still thinking about picking up something more interstate worthy for doing long fast miles with gravel and dirt road capability. I'm not interested in hardcore off road. Too painful.

· Registered
65 Posts
I can probably do it myself, I may mess with it since I have the tusk on there . now. I'm still thinking about picking up something more interstate worthy for doing long fast miles with gravel and dirt road capability. I'm not interested in hardcore off road. Too painful.
You've probably already come to the conclusion that most anything with a shift lever...except for the odd bike out there that might have toe/heel shifting...is going to be not ideal for your boot size. This is where something like an 1100cc Africa Twin DCT would be ideal. That bike will scream on the interstate when desired and yet be capable of decently rough gravel and dirt roads. I rode with a guy for a week with an AT standard transmission down in the Big Bend area. He had only ridden Harleys prior to that AT. He was able to manage and handle that bike even on one horribly muddy 2 track ride. It gave me a better respect for the AT in not so ideal conditions. It ain't no KTM 690 by any means, but it will do more than I thought it was capable of. Sure, the Yamaha T7 is probably better off road than the AT, but the AT will be better on fast highway...you mentioned interstate...and still retain some off pavement prowess. Then there's the AT's DCT transmission. I have a close friend who I used to race the Texas state enduro circuit with and he has the AT with the DCT. He's gone all the way to Alaska and back, and elsewhere, and won't go back to the standard trans. I've not ridden a DCT bike, but his vote of confidence tells me there's no problem with that system.

· Registered
82 Posts
You've probably already come to the conclusion that most anything with a shift lever...except for the odd bike out there that might have toe/heel shifting...is going to be not ideal for your boot size. This is where something like an 1100cc Africa Twin DCT would be ideal. That bike will scream on the interstate when desired and yet be capable of decently rough gravel and dirt roads. I rode with a guy for a week with an AT standard transmission down in the Big Bend area. He had only ridden Harleys prior to that AT. He was able to manage and handle that bike even on one horribly muddy 2 track ride. It gave me a better respect for the AT in not so ideal conditions. It ain't no KTM 690 by any means, but it will do more than I thought it was capable of. Sure, the Yamaha T7 is probably better off road than the AT, but the AT will be better on fast highway...you mentioned interstate...and still retain some off pavement prowess. Then there's the AT's DCT transmission. I have a close friend who I used to race the Texas state enduro circuit with and he has the AT with the DCT. He's gone all the way to Alaska and back, and elsewhere, and won't go back to the standard trans. I've not ridden a DCT bike, but his vote of confidence tells me there's no problem with that system.
I have been looking at them. Test road one and I think that is the way I may go. I can see the benefits of DCT when riding standing.

I don't think anyone has a heal toe on a any more capable bike. I am going to take my boots to look at a used Tiger 1200 explorer.

My Yamaha Stratoliner has a heal toe shifter and I had to remove the heal section because I couldn't fit my foot between the front and back. it make me sit too far out on the floorboard. ha.

· Registered
13 Posts
It looks to be possible to loosen the tightening bolt, pull the shift lever off the splines, replace it back on the splines angled up 5 or 10 degrees, and replace bolt, no?
Is this not possible?
I only wear a size 9 1/2, yet there is not quite enough room under the shift lever to place my left foot on the peg when wearing my Alpine Star riding boots.
Help anyone?

Billy

· Premium Member
321 Posts
Installed the IMS extended shifter and it was ez and looks like it will give me the room I need.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Bumper

· Registered
13 Posts
Okay, you guys.
After reading your postings, and considering the issue for a couple of days, I have decided not to mess with the shift lever, as a solution to my inability to comfortably place my left foot under the shift lever while riding with my foot squarely on the footpeg.
Instead, I am going to lower my footpegs.
Here's why:
I do not have large feet.
I only wears a size 9 - 9.5 (European 43).
As such, the reason that I cannot get my left foot under my shift peg when wearing my Alpine Star Ridge Waterproof Black riding boots is NOT because the shift lever is too far back (too close to the footpeg).
Rather, it is because the footpeg sits too high!
Replacement shift levers such as the Tusk, are 10mm longer than the stock shift lever, but not much lower. They bring the point of contact of boot with lever forward, not down.
I therefore decided to order a set of the JNS Gen. III KLR650 Non-Dampened Footpag Lowering Mounts.
This will also solve a second problem.
Which is - - - I hate the squishy rubber dampers of the stock footpeg mounts.
Now...I have heard of KLR650 owners replacing BOTH!

Let's try lowering, and undampening my footpegs first.
I'll let Y'all know how I make out. 👍

Billy

· Registered
13 Posts
Okay, you guys.
After reading your postings, and considering the issue for a couple of days, I have decided not to mess with the shift lever, as a solution to my inability to comfortably place my left foot under the shift lever while riding with my foot squarely on the footpeg.
Instead, I am going to lower my footpegs.
Here's why:
I do not have large feet.
I only wears a size 9 - 9.5 (European 43).
As such, the reason that I cannot get my left foot under my shift peg when wearing my Alpine Star Ridge Waterproof Black riding boots is NOT because the shift lever is too far back (too close to the footpeg).
Rather, it is because the footpeg sits too high!
Replacement shift levers such as the Tusk, are 10mm longer than the stock shift lever, but not much lower. They bring the point of contact of boot with lever forward, not down.
I therefore decided to order a set of the JNS Gen. III KLR650 Non-Dampened Footpeg Lowering Mounts. As a matter of fact, the JNS not only lowers the footpeg, it also moves it back!
This will also solve a second problem.
Which is - - - I hate the squishy rubber dampers of the stock footpeg mounts.
Now...I have heard of KLR650 owners replacing BOTH!

Let's try lowering, and undampening my footpegs first.
I'll let Y'all know how I make out. 👍

Billy

1 - 20 of 30 Posts