Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a link for a Shim Calculator if any of you are doing or getting ready to do valves. It works great, did mine with it and was dead on. I have the program, but this guy has it on the web ready to go.

http://klr650.carguy.org/shims.html

·
Registered
64 Posts
Is this valve shim calculator good for all KLR's?

My sons have 2005 and 2008 models and I have a 2007. We need a tech day to check our valves adjustments.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Yes, it does work for them all. Good luck with the tech day.

Just a suggestion: Locate shims locally before you tear into them. BMW motorcycle repair shops often have the same 29mm shims we use on the KLR 650, at less than half the price Kawasaki wants for theirs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks. I may have a little trouble finding shims. No BMW shops around. The Kawsaki dealership said they have a swap program and will trade what I need for what I have. The problem is their inventory is pretty limited.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Keep in mind, you can swap shims around from bike to bike to match up some of what you will need. I've never installed a .260 or larger shim when adjusting. The shim sizes most used have been .255 to .245. I think I used one .240 once. You might check to see what they have on hand in the .245 to .255 size range.

You might consider having cam chain tensioner gaskets on hand. Those gaskets are made of rice paper or something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts