Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "new" bike is going to be primarily a street ride. I'm guessing its got the stocker on the front and a k270 on the rear. I'm going to put a 705 on the rear but don't know what size to get?
What size most running? Any pics of them mounted?
Then I don't know what tire to put on the front? 705 or something a tad more aggressive? (cheaper tires please)
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Rear 130/80-17
Front 90/90-21

I am experimenting with a 140/80-17 for the rear. Currently have a Avon Distanza and it is wearing well. Have a set of Continental TrailAttack's to install when the Distanza's are ready to replace (soon).

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do u prefer the 130 or 140?

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Do u prefer the 130 or 140?
So far, 6,000 miles, all is well. I will have a better opinion after wearing out the second tire.

I would NOT use the 140 for off-road.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you want cheaper than the Shinko, maybe look at Kenda K761s?

When I wore out my rear 705, I could not get another Shinko in time, and spooned on a Kenda.

The front 705 still has plenty of life in it.

The Kenda rear tire was a little spooky on wet pavement for a couple of thousand miles, don't know what a front Kenda would be like.

If Shinko 705's are available when I need new, I'll probably go with another set.

Still waiting to find out what kind of mileage I'll get out of the Kenda.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered the 130/90 17 but I'm wondering if I should of got the 130/80. I didn't notice until now that the 80 is a Radial tire and the 90 is not. I'm assuming it is Bias.

What is the difference? What does it matter? What should I do? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I ordered the 130/90 17 but I'm wondering if I should of got the 130/80. I didn't notice until now that the 80 is a Radial tire and the 90 is not. I'm assuming it is Bias.

What is the difference? What does it matter? What should I do? Thanks!
The 130/80 is offer in both radial and bias ply. The radial is more expensive. The 90 will be fine, it's just a little taller.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got'r done.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Curious?... Why not the 140 offroad? (TOM-CITY).....
Gearing would be one reason. I am feeling the difference on-road. Enough to change the rear sprocket down one tooth.

It is a larger tire and "I don't know" if a knobby tire will clear the swingarm when clean or with mud. If someone is running a 140 in the dirt, chime in.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I just took a 140 off my KLR. As TC said it is a lot taller, about the equivalent of going up one tooth. The taller gearing is a real handicap offroad. You would need a 14T to get back to stock gearing.
I thought the larger tire might last a few more miles but that didn't prove out. Bottom line is the larger tire didn't offer any type of performance gain over the stock size.
I think 130 or 5.10 is the largest width in a knobby tire.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
One thing I like about the 140 on the road is bigger bike feel. Since the tire is wider I can feel the rear of the KLR is pitched out more than with the stock narrower 130.

Hopefully this week I will have a Continental TrailAttack 140/80r and 90/90f replacing the very worn Avon Distanzia pair. after the Conti's the next pair might be TKC's with a 130/80 rear.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
My shinko started to come apart at 2000 miles lost a huge chunk of tread on the way home, any one have this problem.
The early 705s did this and were replaced with a different compound. Is your tire the early or late release?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd read that but it seems everyone was taken care of by Shinkos customer service so I went for them.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I'd read that but it seems everyone was taken care of by Shinkos customer service so I went for them.
"Is your tire the early or late release?" By chance did you buy a pair of the original 705's? Check with Shinko. They will want numbers from the chunking tire(s).

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have the Skinkos on my pig and love them on road. I can easily scrape my peg feelers with confidence.
And, their off road performance is acceptable. Been on gravel, hard pack and sandy wash bottoms with them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you want cheaper than the Shinko, maybe look at Kenda K761s?

When I wore out my rear 705, I could not get another Shinko in time, and spooned on a Kenda.

The front 705 still has plenty of life in it.

The Kenda rear tire was a little spooky on wet pavement for a couple of thousand miles, don't know what a front Kenda would be like.

If Shinko 705's are available when I need new, I'll probably go with another set.

Still waiting to find out what kind of mileage I'll get out of the Kenda.
So far I love my 130-80 705s! Better in the rain than my Kendas, but the Kendas lasted for ever! If these last nearly as long, I will be very happy. Also the 705's seem to have deeper tread.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What the heck is the point of those nipples hanging off the pegs?

130 90 17 705

1 - 20 of 33 Posts