Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed out the Shinko 805 I put on new last spring. Total mileage 7574. I had planned to do a lot more adventure and off-road riding, but it didn’t work that way. Probably 85% road to 15% dirt, gravel, off-road. 32-35 psi on road, 20-22 off.
On the road it handled very well wet and dry for my riding style. Not noisy either. You can only feel the tread at less than 5 mph. Off-road seemed good and always got me where I pointed the bike. I haven’t riden it as he’s off road as many of you do. But I found this a pleasant road tire that was aggressive enough to do what I wanted off-road when I wanted. Didn’t expect to get this many miles out of if burning it mostly on pavement. I just spooned another on to replace it. No flats, odd wear, or missing lugs. Great bang for the buck if you ask me. If I had a mostly road and gravel only trip, I’m sure I could have gotten 8500 out of it.
I have an 804 up front with the same miles. Won’t last a full 2 runs of the rears, but fairly happy with it so far too.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for posting as I've been contemplating these tires. Hard to believe you got over 7K miles on a rear when my best mileage on a 705 was closer to 5.5K miles. Wish the website wasn't acting finicky as I can't open the pics.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KLRed,
Good luck! My second 805 is on hold after my wreck. Also didn’t install another 804. Got to where I hated it on gravel. Ended up with a cheaper 700 on the front and loved it on gravel and pavement so far. And dirt cheap!
Will be curious how you like them both. 👍

·
Registered
105 Posts
805 good rear, good mileage.
804 nope not again, slips side to side before it bites in the gravel.
K60 Scout, best front tire I've tried, 16k and still had tread.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great feedback guys. Thanks!

I'm coming from the lighter DRZ400 and used to always go with the MTs or d606 depending on budget/plans for pavement miles. These will be the first tires I try on the KLR.

There sure is a lot of positive reviews on these. I have I expectations. These will be some of the first negative comments I've seen on the front but I suppose I can see how it would feel a little washy in the gravel... Hopefully it's more of a feel thing that I can get used to.

Also hoping they're not a nightmare to spoon on like the d606 was... About to get started now! 🤪

·
Registered
105 Posts
Easy to put on, sidewall not that stiff.
Yep you'll get used to the front, it does hook up, it just wiggles a little .

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree. The 804 is great on road and quite good off road. I just didn’t like it on gravel where I spend a lot of time. But off road, not bad at all. That’s my take. Hope you like them. And on pavement, keep them aired up in the mid 30’s and they’ll wear great!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks again guys! Yesterday I was off like a herd of turtles... Stripped and remounted the front in no time only to realize I had the rotation backwards! :ROFLMAO: Pulled it back off in a hurry and pinched the tube in the process! :mad:(n)

Ran to shop for tubes and by the time I was back felt I'd had enough fun, and it was late enough that I wasn't getting out for a ride... So, chapter two this afternoon.

Do you guys bother with balancing? I've never done it on a dual sport or dirt bike but I figured the KLR will see some higher speed road miles. Maybe it's important?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man I feel ya there. Pinched a tube last front change to the 700 (luckily it’s an easy change). Sounds like you’ll have it up and running soon!
I always balance mine. I ride in the ride quite a bit and probably still would even if I didn’t, just because.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
910 Posts
I balanced mine using the axle and was able to get within a half ounce or so. My front wheel also has a wiggle in it (rim was bent by the PO hitting rocks or branches or something). Even so, it runs smooth on the highway at 75.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I balanced mine using the axle and was able to get within a half ounce or so. My front wheel also has a wiggle in it (rim was bent by the PO hitting rocks or branches or something). Even so, it runs smooth on the highway at 75.
That's awesome!! I'm curious whether you did that with the wheel on the bike or on jack stands? I've got some motion pro sticky back weights on the way. Planning on giving it my first go. 🤞

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Some years ago, I made a U-shaped bracket thats big enough to suspend a wheel on its axle. It’s a piece of bar steel 1/8” x 1” and about 36” long, bent into a U. I cut V notches in the tops of the U to allow me to set an axle in there. I clamp the U in a bench vise and then put the wheel with the axle in it on the bracket. When I’m not using it, I just hang it on the wall. I use the weights that crimp around the spokes rather than stick on.

you can’t do this on the bike because the friction between the brake rotor and brake pads will not allow the wheel to turn freely.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You can do the front on the bike if you mount the wheel backwards with the rotor on the wrong side.
You can do the rear if you pull the pads or take the caliper off. 2 bolts either way.
I bought a balance stand from Amazon for cheap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You guys are great! So glad to have found a good community, with a decent forum platform! Many thanks.

-Wes

·
Premium Member
8,039 Posts
The thicker grease in the wheel bearings vs the oil in the official narrow knife bearings of a real balancing stand will prevent a very accurate balancing. But it may be a little better than not attempting to balance at all.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
It works well enough to keep the vibes away at 75MPH.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts