Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2022 ABS Traveler- Orange
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazon had a flash 35% off deal on this fender, just installed it today and I was surprised by how much it reduced the highway wobble.

I read someone say it was the "best bang-for-buck mod", I don't know if that's entirely true but I'm definitely happy w/ the purchase (plus it looks gud) ;)

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
2022 KLR
111 Posts
Amazon had a flash 35% off deal on this fender, just installed it today and I was surprised by how much it reduced the highway wobble.

I read someone say it was the "best bang-for-buck mod", I don't know if that's entirely true but I'm definitely happy w/ the purchase (plus it looks gud) ;)

View attachment 32921
Easy install?? Did you just have to drill holes in the fender and call it a day ?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Easy install?? Did you just have to drill holes in the fender and call it a day ?
It was relatively easy, took me 20 min.

1. Remove the bracket for the ABS/brake cables (I cut off the rivets), then remove the original fender. (if you don't have ABS you may not have this)

2. With the new fender all you have to do is drill the 5/16 + 1/32 hole (or just twist your bit around)

3. Figure out the placement for the bracket, then put some 1/8" nuts/bolts on it (at least that's what I did)

3. Wrench the bolts down into the fender w/ the ring inserts that come from your original fender.

5. Put ABS/brake cable back into the bracket

Reactions: ZZnoTop

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are some photos of the bracket:
Grey Webbing Electric blue Automotive tire Metal

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reactions: Toney

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yep! Just did the same to mine with that fender. But to the fork brace. Tapped threads, made a spacer and bolted down.

View attachment 32927
I'll be getting EM's fork brace at some point, have you noticed any handeling change in the fender being mounted on the brace vs the body? Or is it purely cosmetic?

edit: Looks great btw, love the large tank & auxiliary lights

·
Registered
'22 Sand Khaki, non-ABS
172 Posts
It was relatively easy, took me 20 min.

1. Remove the bracket for the ABS/brake cables (I cut off the rivets), then remove the original fender. (if you don't have ABS you may not have this)

2. With the new fender all you have to do is drill the 5/16 + 1/32 hole (or just twist your bit around)

3. Figure out the placement for the bracket, then put some 1/8" nuts/bolts on it (at least that's what I did)

3. Wrench the bolts down into the fender w/ the ring inserts that come from your original fender.

5. Put ABS/brake cable back into the bracket
The non-ABS bike does have the exact same bracket. It's only holding a brake line though. We even have the metal mounting tabs for the cover on the forks ABS bikes have.

I just zip-tied the brake line (around that rubber grommet) to the Polisport fender I put on my Gen 3. The back half of the Polisport fender I used is very vented, so the zip tie was easy. But I might try putting the bracket back on using your methods.

Reactions: RagTag559

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The non-ABS bike does have the exact same bracket. It's only holding a brake line though. We even have the metal mounting tabs for the cover on the forks ABS bikes have.

I just zip-tied the brake line (around that rubber grommet) to the Polisport fender I put on my Gen 3. The back half of the Polisport fender I used is very vented, so the zip tie was easy. But I might try putting the bracket back on using your methods.
Nice, I like the clean look of everything being as close to stock as possible, but it’s a KLR. I already zip tied part of the body plastics down since those grommets are a one-time use

·
Registered
'22 Sand Khaki, non-ABS
172 Posts
Nice, I like the clean look of everything being as close to stock as possible, but it’s a KLR. I already zip tied part of the body plastics down since those grommets are a one-time use
I might attempt to reattach the bracket to the fender. I recently found out that I have a rivet gun and a selection of pop rivets in a box of garage junk I inherited when a friend moved away.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I might attempt to reattach the bracket to the fender. I recently found out that I have a rivet gun and a selection of pop rivets in a box of garage junk I inherited when a friend moved away.
These worked great for me if the river gun gets complicated:

Material property Automotive lighting Font Gas Rectangle

·
Registered
2022 KLR650 Orange
68 Posts
This fender mod looks great. I'm new to the (22) KLR, are there any downsides to this mod?
I wonder, is there a functional aspect to the front of the stock fender being turned down?
I live on gravel roads and I'm wondering if the front tire throws more gravel and dirt with the smaller front fender.
I ride to work and try to stay fairly clean. Other times I don't care.

·
Registered
2022 Khaki no abs, Thermobob 2, tusk panniers gen2, modified crash bars gen2, Tusk D-flex, 16t front
428 Posts
This fender mod looks great. I'm new to the (22) KLR, are there any downsides to this mod?
I wonder, is there a functional aspect to the front of the stock fender being turned down?
I live on gravel roads and I'm wondering if the front tire throws more gravel and dirt with the smaller front fender.
Good question! I know my fender was caked with mud underneath first bath time. It's looks so much better smaller though 😍👍

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also live on a gravel road. I would say that the tire will always throw the same amount of dirt and gravel no matter what fender you have. So the questions is will this fender mod catch the same amount as the OEM fender. I would have to say it should catch way less. On my 02 KLR I had the smaller after market fender, but mounted it to the top of the fork brace. That was the only thing that helped the smaller fender catch as much mud as the OEM fender in stock position.
Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts