Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was tired of the wind hitting me directly in the face coming off the shield, so I cut down one I had laying around. It came out pretty good and took about 15 minutes to make. It is much quieter riding the bike now. I just cut it on my bandsaw, sanded the edge with a 90 degree diegrinder with a 320 disk, hand-trimmed a bevel on both sides of the cut, then flame-treated the edge to polish it.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Looks alot like mine, I cut mine in half, used a lid off of a jar to radius the corners and then lightly sanded the 'inside' of the shield and painted it with satin black. It matches my cowl real nice.
Heres the link to it: http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=2621

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I left mine the natural clear color for now, I can always paint it later. I like it 100% better than the stock windshield. I'm 6'3" and the stock unit funneled the air directly into my face.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I'm 6'3" and the stock unit funneled the air directly into my face.
I know the feeling.. 6' w/ a tall torso and I had the same issue. If my shield was up, it tossed everything right at my eyes, and made for bad airflow around my helmet.

Now, it hits me at the top of my chest and my helmet is in clean air (quiet). Much, much better for me..

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Haven't really seen them do any good, it just dumps all the wind right onto the top of your helmet and creates a bunch of buffeting...I like the cut down short windshield, it lets the wind just hit you in the chest and is much easier to handle. IMHO...

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
OK, you didn't mention an 08....There are some really tall windshields for those new models, but I have not seen any mounted or how well they worked. You might do a bit more searching and see if there are any reviews on the net.

·
Registered
61 Posts
08 windsheild

ive got an 08 with the stock shield, and by no means am i tall.(5 7 on a good day).
dont have any trouble with buffeting wind catches me just under the chin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did about 50 miles today, mostly highway speeds, now my head is ringing. tomorrow I'm going to cut down the windsield a little. when I stood up on the pegs, the wind was much smoother.
Think just cutting the "flip" off the stock screen will help?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did about 50 miles today, mostly highway speeds, now my head is ringing. tomorrow I'm going to cut down the windsield a little. when I stood up on the pegs, the wind was much smoother.
Think just cutting the "flip" off the stock screen will help?

Why don't you take the entire windshield off and try it. I just left an inch or so for looks. BTW, sold the bike..... not enough speed for my needs.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Exactly.. Take it off and give it a try.. I found with the screen off, the bottom of the wind blast was mid chest. Cutting the flip off put it just below my neck, putting my body out of the blast and my helmet in clean air..

·
Registered
257 Posts
man, i thought it was just me cause i thought the wind was horrible too. Was even considering earplugs to help with the wind noise. Maybe i'll try removing the shield entirely just to see the diff.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
As someone who's been loosing his hearing for years, I strongly recommend earplugs no matter how quiet a motorcycle is.. Wind noise will eat your hearing very fast.

The only bike I ride without plugs is my Wing, since basically I'm sitting in a 2 wheeled car. If I'm on my BMW or KLR, plugs are a must!!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Gotta agree with you again Dan. Earplugs. I played loud rock music for years. Riding for years. I can't hear for shit and tinnitus is no joke. Worst part? My Dad was a helicopter mechanic and pilot and he told me what it was like to lay awake at night and listen to the high pitched whine. I said screw it and turned the amp up. Ah, for a time machine.

Also, when I was riding with Dave (Zin) last week we were talking about earplugs and I find I ride smoother and feel more secure on the bike with earplugs in.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I sit in a pocket of clean air behind my parethian (.com) tall screen.
My line of sight is over it, with the wind blast kicking over my visor, just to the top of my helmet.
I can scrunch down behind it to get under the rain, or sit comfy and look over it.
almost two years, 14.5k miles, on and off road, love it.
Call charlie, tell'im I sent ya.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Kent,
I'm speaking only of the pre-08' bikes.. The whole front end is differnt on the newwer bikes and I'm sure the airflow's better on them.. On the old one with nothing more than the little headlight clamshell, the stock shield sucks and most who try taller shields never find one tall enough because of all the air that comes around from the sides. Buffet city.

Going short puts the helmet in clean air on the older bikes, actually allowing the helmet to vent like it was designed.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Paper,
I gottcha, and I understand the differences.
On my v2 bike he madethe windscreen wider at the upper part for that very reason.
It's like wings, above where the mirrors and controls swing at steering stop.
I failed to mention that.
Charly may have something for the v1 bikes too.
But yeah, I agree, clean air is better than buffeting about the hat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts