Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

I'm looking into buying a used post 2008 model year KLR. I came across a 2012 KLR with just 494 miles, asking $4,600. This is in Hebron, Indiana. He said he used it a pit bike when he took his street rods to car shows and was in his enclosed trailer.
What do you folks think?

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
despite opinions to the contrary; a bikes life (if properly stored and maintained) is measured in miles.....age is largely irrelevant so I'd consider that bike virtually new. Exceptions are tires, batteries and possibly the carb (depending how stored) which may need a full cleaning.

Dave

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Exactly. That's a good find. Not sure about the price, but for me, a fresh bike is definitely worth more.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My Craigslist in Western Virginia (not West Virginia!) has a 2017 w/755 miles & includes some crash bars, manual and a few blah blahs for $5,200. Just so you can think some. I'm sure prices vary dramatically according to locality and the seller's ability to deal with Craigslist whackadoos! Go get it. A current 2008 here with 10,200 miles with typical goodies is offered at $3,400, so it shows to go you!

·
Premium Member
6,841 Posts
The Top 10 list of Mistakes is to be used as confirmation of proper up keep or a bargaining chip to lower the price.
I did not even suggest as to whether the bike was priced fairly for the area or not. It could be an ugly POS for all we know, but it probably is not.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 2012 was 6 years old with a little over 300 miles on it when I got it. The guy I bought it from had knee problems right after he got it. He could only ride it around the neighborhood a little every year so it did not sit and the carb was not messed up with old fuel. It was kept inside and taken care of. It looked like it just came from the dealer. I have almost 5K on it now, and am glad I got it.

I would at least take a look at it.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I just saw a nice 2012 with 6000 miles here in central Arizona for $3200 and change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts