Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'm new to KLRforum.com but I have already learned a lot. I am in a predicament; My local dealership has a 2011 KLR 650 on brand new with 0 miles on it on clearance for $4720. I am 19 and am in college full time and I'm looking to get this bike for fuel mileage and just as a second vehicle. I've been riding a 1982 suzuki gs550 for the last year and its been ok until recently. I'm just really tired of the suzuki; its air cooled it maxes out at 65mph and I can go offroad with it. I've wanted a KLR for a long time, its my dream bike. I don't have the money right now so I would have to finance it, until I get my refund for student loans. I have enough money to afford payments until I can pay it off in full but I'm just stuck on wether I should get it or not. Its a pretty good deal for a new one and its THE bike I want. Would I be able to ride it at 55mph during break in? Thats the speed limit on the road I take to class and its about a 25 minute drive. I live in Minnesota and my uncle is a motorcycle mechanic. I'm 6'2 and 255lbs. Is the KLR for me? Should I get the KLR at this price? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Jayson

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I should mention I live in an apartment with outside parking only but I have a private parking spot. If I get a cover would it be fine sitting outside? Will it tip if there is strong winds?

·
Registered
52 Posts
That is a heck of a deal, I might have bought new if I could have found one that cheap. I would ride it like I stole it from new, I don't believe it that break it in easy crap.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
BEWARE the siren song of INSTANT GRATIFICATION, leex6221!

(Not that anyone who has heard this advice ever FOLLOWED it!)

Going into debt, without any substantial salary or career progression likely to sustain pay-off, even for a 'way cool shiny new KLR650 suggests an unfavorable, unpleasant outcome, IMHO.

As to leaving a KLR outside, even with a cover, the plastic FADES notoriously with exposure ('specially RED, seems to me). I have BLACK Generation 1, and . . . even the BLACK is fading! :)

Fuel mileage? Around 50 mpg, but . . . your fuel costs won't APPROACH your DEPRECIATION, on a new bike.

Hey, you've got a serviceable bike; can you not be content somewhat with your PORTION?

If you want other capabilities, you can probably find a more manageable, financially, USED KLR650.

After you GRADUATE; land a plum, lucrative JOB, get your STUDENT LOANS in order; THEN consider a new bike.

Again, I don't expect you to heed this advice. Maybe you will this additional suggestion: Don't worry about 55 mph during break-in; I minimize break-in rituals--just treat her gently during the honeymoon, and you shall have a long service life; again, IMHO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice so far. I know it may not be the wisest decision finacially speaking, but I figured it would be a great way to build credit as I would be able to pay it off in full in December this year. The bike I have is a P.O.S. , I bought it for $400 and the clutch went out, it needs new tires, and it leaks oil like crazy. And if I spent the money to fix it, I still can't go down the freeway or any dirt roads. I am a ride first kind of guy, I have a decent car and a backup truck but in the fall, spring and summer I prefer riding, especially if it will save me money. The dealership has a used KLR a 2010 with 4300 miles and the price is 4500. I figured for an extra 200 bucks I can get it new and not have to worry about how the previous owner took care of it. And I figured hell, I don't need a car, i'm already in debt, and I need to build my credit somehow. Not to mention all the adventures I could have and not have to worry about my bike breaking down. Are y'all happy with your purchase of a KLR?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And I wouldn't care much about the plastic fading, I'd be on the trails a lot anyway, so it would probably get dinged up pretty good. I've heard that the kickstand is too tall and the 2011 model tips easily. Is this true?

·
Registered
123 Posts
BEWARE the siren song of INSTANT GRATIFICATION, leex6221!

(Not that anyone who has heard this advice ever FOLLOWED it!)

Going into debt, without any substantial salary or career progression likely to sustain pay-off, even for a 'way cool shiny new KLR650 suggests an unfavorable, unpleasant outcome, IMHO.
+1 agree with above

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
leex

A BIG part of me agrees with Damocles.....sound financial advice. The compromise is to find a used KLR for half the cost.

The OTHER PART of me thinks you will never say "Gee, I wish I was older before chasing my dreams".

Most likely soon your saddle will be wife, kids, mortgage. Life is to be lived, live it while you are young enough to enjoy it.

That is a great price for a new KLR. However, if you INSIST buying this bike quit this forum immediately. It will only cost you more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
leex

A BIG part of me agrees with Damocles.....sound financial advice. The compromise is to find a used KLR for half the cost.

The OTHER PART of me thinks you will never say "Gee, I wish I was older before chasing my dreams".

Most likely soon your saddle will be wife, kids, mortgage. Life is to be lived, live it while you are young enough to enjoy it.

That is a great price for a new KLR. However, if you INSIST buying this bike quit this forum immediately. It will only cost you more.
That's the predicament i'm in. I can afford it now and I don't have a wife or kids now, but in the future I might. If I wait I may not be able to get one but if I buy it now I'm out 5 grand, which doesn't even compare to my student loans. I have a job in the summer and make around 7 grand per summer. I know I should save to pay off my loans but I'm going into law enforcement and most of my student loans will be forgiven once I score a full time job. I've always wanted a KLR and the dealer has a brand new one for roughly the same price as a used one. Should I buy now or wait and see? Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
901 Posts
Go for it.

If you've done the financial planning and it's feasible, do it. And hell, you could always sell the car or truck that you have if things get a little tight.

You'll love the KLR - just keep in mind that it is NOT a speedster. It's a tractor or jeep with two wheels. It will get you where you want to go, but it may take a little longer.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Methinks you need a long talk with Suzy Orman, leex6221!

She'd say, "DENIED!"

The current offering looks like a good deal, but . . . leex6221, they're working NIGHTS, manufacturing KLR650s! This isn't the LAST one you'll ever see!

When the time comes, and you are financially capable, one will be available, I promise.

Meanwhile, a used KLR might be appropriate for a starving student. Otherwise, you're counting lots of chickens before they hatch (e.g., graduation, prompt selection/hiring, student loan forgiveness, etc.).

Debt's a slippery slope that becomes steeper as it is indulged.

Right now, I gather you've got zero savings, zero emergency fund, considerable student loan debt, and you now propose to add even more debt to your portfolio; discretionary spending debt. Got credit card debt? Don't forget the insurance and perhaps personal property tax burden coming with a new bike.

Now, I think you know the prudent answer to your question already. Are you seeking justification for gratifying your desire for a shiny new bike? Well, I reckon you'll find some, on this thread! :)

My credit union charges 7.5 % interest on motorcycle loans; less than 1 % on automobile loans. A subtle message lies within the disparity of rates, I'd imagine.

DISCLAIMER: As previously mentioned, I do not expect you to follow the above advice at all. I think you've made your decision; and I wish you the best of fortune with it. You asked, and I offer my best effort. No problem if it's disregarded, or "observed in breach!"

·
Registered
123 Posts
The consumer, they call us, we're the people that buy
While everyone else is out to sell, some kind of merchandise
We run to the boss and tell him, we need a bit more gold
Some tax deductions later, and we still wind up in the hole.
Chorus:
Oh, yes we are the people running in the race,
Buying up the bargains in the old marketplace,
Another sale on something, we'll buy it while it's hot
And save a lot of money spending money we don't got

Stompin Tom Connors

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
The fabric of our society is unravelling at a rapid pace and within the next 20 years, perhaps even the next 10 years, the shit is going to hit the fan and you're going to have to choose what side you're on and what you're going to do. Buy it and ride it while you still can.........

The banking systems, communications and government will be destroyed so any debt you might have incurred will disappear. Even cash and precious metals will have no meaning. In most parts of the country, it will just be a free-for-all in the dark until people develop a network to find out what's going on if they can find anybody they can trust with whom to form an alliance.

Our system of roadways and trails will become a highly dangerous No-Man's Land. The only safe form of travel will be off the beaten path on foot. In the early days, you might still find some fool that would trade you food, medical supplies, guns or ammo for your KLR, though, maybe liquor if you're lucky enough. People will seek out their base needs. You'll get farther with a carton of cigarettes than a pocket ful of cash. In fact, an offered cigarette and light may very well save your life.

If you're in law enforcement at this juncture, I would highly recommend you immediately abandon your post because you will be nothing but a target and won't stand a chance.

Life is short and about to get a lot shorter for a lot of folks. In closing, have a nice day!

By the way, hello there, NSA agent monitoring my local IP! "I fully support my government and will stand by it in any way I can!"

·
Registered
123 Posts
The fabric of our society is unravelling at a rapid pace and within the next 20 years, perhaps even the next 10 years, the shit is going to hit the fan and you're going to have to choose what side you're on and what you're going to do. Buy it and ride it while you still can.........

The banking systems, communications and government will be destroyed so any debt you might have incurred will disappear. Even cash and precious metals will have no meaning. In most parts of the country, it will just be a free-for-all in the dark until people develop a network to find out what's going on if they can find anybody they can trust with whom to form an alliance.

Our system of roadways and trails will become a highly dangerous No-Man's Land. The only safe form of travel will be off the beaten path on foot. In the early days, you might still find some fool that would trade you food, medical supplies, guns or ammo for your KLR, though, maybe liquor if you're lucky enough. People will seek out their base needs. You'll get farther with a carton of cigarettes than a pocket ful of cash. In fact, an offered cigarette and light may very well save your life.

If you're in law enforcement at this juncture, I would highly recommend you immediately abandon your post because you will be nothing but a target and won't stand a chance.

Life is short and about to get a lot shorter for a lot of folks. In closing, have a nice day!

By the way, hello there, NSA agent monitoring my local IP! "I fully support my government and will stand by it in any way I can!"
Hmmmm looks a lot different from where I am sitting, funny how we can see things totally opposite. A matter of perspective I suppose.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Hmmmm looks a lot different from where I am sitting, funny how we can see things totally opposite. A matter of perspective I suppose.
It will inevitably spill over into Canda as people seek remote swaths of land away from the chaos down here. Be prepared.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts