Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea...my 2015 klr has 1,340 miles on it. Suppose to take it to service first 1,000. Do i have to do it or just wait to 3,000 miles? The dealer i got is from is 1hr and 30min away...do i take it stone cold over there or can i just ride it there? Plus what do i do to avoid doohicky on my 2015 klr?

Sent from my Z959 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
The first service is 600 miles (1,000 kilometers). The initial maintenance steps are in the owners manual. Many owners opt to do (and document) the procedures themselves, but let your comfort level dictate what you do. You really need to get that slug of factory oil changed out along with the filter.

If I may suggest you take a peek at the air filter to see if its properly oiled. It's not a procedure in the initial maintenance; mine was dry as a bone when I took delivery. Also, a member here insists that the balancer chain tensioner adjustment should be done during the early miles. I think that's a reasonable (and easy enough) thing to do. That's your doo adjustment.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Your call (dealer or do-it-yourself) first service.

I took mine to the dealer as insurance, i.e. proof, initial service responsibly performed in case of a future warranty claim.

Again, your call; wouldn't hesitate, myself, in riding the bike to the dealership if I chose that option.

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
39 bikes so far; I've never had the dealer service even one of them once. Up to you but it's not exactly rocket science nor is it required for warranty reasons (keep your reciepts)

2 cents,
Dave

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Up to you but it's not exactly rocket science nor is it required for warranty reasons (keep your reciepts).
Not required, I think; however . . . bona fide dealer service removes a burden of proof from the warranty claimant, should such a claim ever be made.

Again, customer's call.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have found that if you document the maintenance of each repair or service with date and mileage the manufacturer will honor the warrantee claims. If it is a part failure, take that to a dealer so they can submit it and Kawasaki will replace the failed part.
Bill10 was right, that Kawasaki maintenance is setup for increments of 600 mi or 1,000km.
Looking at the owners manual under the Maintenance section you can see the regularly schedule maintenance items listed that will keep your KLR running in top shape.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
My service manual paid for itself first time I used it.

The bike has never been inside of a shop in 7 years.
Runs perfect.

This site, Youtube, and a real manual are all you need.
(well, maybe a few tools) We'll walk you thru anything
ya get stuck on.

Basically an oil n' filter change, drivechain adjust, and check every exposed fastener.
Everything from handlebar clamps to shifter lever nut to frame bolts. Everything.
Most dealers change the oil and give it back to you. It'll be done more thoroughly
at home. We tend to pay closer attention as it's our life, not the techs' on the line.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
If the dealer doesn't provide the first service free, I certainly would not pay to have it done. Also, if I had to take it and leave it and make a return trip (6 hours), I would do it myself. Actually in my case I would still do it myself because I don't know the quality/experience of the guy they use for oil changes as compared to a service tech. The dealer has payroll, rent, insurance, taxes, etc, so he has to charge a price higher than your free labor.

You can't avoid the doohickey. It has to be in there. Gen1 owners manuals show a maintenance schedule the the doohickey. My gen2 manual doesn't mention the doo. I am sure someone with a gen1 manual will comment.

I recommend adjusting the doo at least every other oil change and every oil change is better. I just loosen the adjuster bolt 1 1/2 turns and tap on the end of the socket extension to jar any sticky parts loose and re-snug the bolt. DON'T TAKE THE ADJUSTER BOLT ALL THE WAY OUT, or some parts may fall out of place.

Within the first 10,000 miles, I suggest that you replace the doohickey with an aftermarket one with a torsion spring so you don't find your self with no spring tension to actually adjust the doo when you loosen the adjustment bolt.

·
Registered
541 Posts
You're right, the balancer chain tensioner adjustment procedure isn't in the owner's manual. It's only in the service manual. :serious:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree with all of them. The basic maintenance items are easily done with basic tools from a home shop. When it comes to the Doohickey, Eagle Mike has an excellent complete kit, including specialty tools for the change.
All too soon, you will learn what is within your skill sets and what you are comfortable in attempting. If you are ever worried, ask around the forum for advice on how to do something, or where to take your bike.

Bottom line, welcome to our little family of KLR owner/riders.

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
Yea...my 2015 klr has 1,340 miles on it. Suppose to take it to service first 1,000. Do i have to do it or just wait to 3,000 miles? The dealer i got is from is 1hr and 30min away...do i take it stone cold over there or can i just ride it there? Plus what do i do to avoid doohicky on my 2015 klr?

Alex863,
Most of the plastic bodywork is removed for access to other parts if the 'Break-in' maintainece is done anywheres near properly!
Check and or tighten ALL the nuts, bolts and screws that you can get a wrench on. (Tighten the L.H. rear NUT on the BOTTOM Rear engine MOUNT, to prevent the bolt from 'twisting' the lower chain slider out of place.) It really 'F's' up the chain adjustment if IT twists-UP out of position.

Check that lower chain slider if you allow the dealership to do the service!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know nothing of much of motorcycle maintenance , so what should i tell to my motorcycle mechanic guy such as "hey, check this this and this." i dont really trust a mechanic to really do his thing. I want to go sound bit smart when i go because if i dont, they might not even try check. Basically, i wont know if they service it or not. I have trust issues...il will take it to service this weekend or next week.Ty

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
Alex863,
Put a little Pink finger-nail polish on the exhaust header nuts, the air filter door screw, the lower sub-frame bolts, the drivers footpeg bolts, the front motor mounts and a few random spokes!
The mis-aligned paint will tell if they checked!
I give EVERY spoke at least a 1/4 turn!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Alex, In the owners manual there is a section called Schedule Maintenance. It begins with showing you each of the milestones in km of what maintenance should be done. If you follow through the section, immediately after the matrix of maintenance there are sections describing each of the difference maintenance to be preformed. These are not great how-to descriptions, but the give you a lot of information you can learn from. Reading through this section will give you more knowledge so you are not pointing at your KLR and saying "fix it".

·
Registered
171 Posts
i do all my repairs and maintenances myself for my cars and bikes except the first service. I ALWAYS do the first one at the dealer.

I believe it's good to have a pro look at it, make sure everything is set as it's supposed to be and there was no mfr issues that will grow with time

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
i do all my repairs and maintenances myself for my cars and bikes except the first service. I ALWAYS do the first one at the dealer.

I believe it's good to have a pro look at it, make sure everything is set as it's supposed to be and there was no mfr issues that will grow with time
While there is some rationale for that, unless you know your dealer very well, there is an equal chance that a high school kid working at the dealership for the summer is the "pro" who is doing your first service! ;-)

I feel better doing it myself but everyone has a different level of confidence in their mechanical abilities.

My dealer knows me well enough to sell me several bikes still in the crate so I had to do all the PDI stuff...

Dave

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
While there is some rationale for that, unless you know your dealer very well, there is an equal chance that a high school kid working at the dealership for the summer is the "pro" who is doing your first service! ;-)

I feel better doing it myself but everyone has a different level of confidence in their mechanical abilities.

My dealer knows me well enough to sell me several bikes still in the crate so I had to do all the PDI stuff...

Dave
After getting my KLR back from the shop with the handlebars so loose they dropped on the Golden Gate Bridge (the plastic was all put on wrong, too), I have not even considered letting the dealer touch my bike. Depends on the shop, but some mechanics are butchers/young and inexperienced. Dave makes a good point. Just cause they have the right shirt doesn't mean shit. And they don't care about MY bike as much as I do. :)

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
As an example the front brake caliper on my Versys fell off in the first 200 miles...I blamed myself for not double checking but the dealer was supposed to have just gone over it for the PDI....

Dave

1 - 20 of 34 Posts