Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a used 2007 KLR650 with 1300 miles on it. It looks brand new but after reading about the bike online, should I tear it open and replace the dohickey or just enjoy it for a while. This is my first bike in 19yrs. and it was the only one to grab my attention. I live in a rural area and hope to enjoy many trouble-free miles on back roads. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Welcome.The doo is an easy fix and well worth the time.Cheap fix up front that "could possibly" save you a small fortune later.

Where is your rural area ?

M

·
Registered
153 Posts
These guys are right...if you have the time to do it, why risk not doing it? If you don't have the time to fix it right away, it's ok, but I would get on it as soon as you do have the time. I bought my 05 with 2800 miles, waited until till about 5500 miles and I changed the doo and found a broken tensioner spring that attaches to the doohickey. Wasn't causing any problems, but the bike ran a heck of a lot smoother when I replaced it. Even an average wrench can handle changing it out in less than 2 hours. I'm a novice, and it took me less than an hour, but I had alot of help!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Ditto....and make sure you buy an Eagle Mike DOO.....just for your piece of mind and the fact that you have the best product you can buy inside your engine and not a chinese knock-off!!!

I bought a secondhand bike too...an 04 with 3500kms...changed the DOO at 4000kms and found the spring busted and it took a few hours to find all the bits!!! When you do your DOO also do the oil screen clean out too...you will find it half plugged up with old silicon from the factory.

Buy yourself a set of gaskets for both sides, you probably won't need them but if you don't...you will need them...Murphy's Law...remember!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am not aware there are any made in china ! If you are refering to www.klr650.com there doohickey's are made in the U.S.A. I would be happy to e-mail the info to you if you would like thank's for the attention.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Just some food for thought. I have an 08. I would guess I had about 2500 miles on it when I did the doo. The doo is improved on the 08, but there was NO tension in the spring. I am not that mechanically inclined, but I went to a tech day and got some guidance and it was fairly straightforward. I don't think I would have attempted it without on site help, but you may be more of a wrencher than I. Do it for sure. If you feel like you need help, I'm sure you can find it. You may have to ride a few hours, but it will be well worth it.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
This question has been answered more than any other KLR question out there. Issue is simple, the Tension balancer from the factory is a cold welded piece of metal with springs to hold it. All three items can break and end up in the engine crank case. Technically there is nothing wrong with the stock doo that proper maintance can't control. But there have been cases of the doo shattering or springs breaking.
Easiest sollution is to attend a tech day in your area where someone will have the proper tools to install a new doo. This will also give you a chance to meet other riders and improve the overall experience that you will have on the bike.
Just make sure you talk to the person who will be changing your doo for you so that you know what supplies to bring for them. ie beer, liqure or food. LOL

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Hmmm...??? Where are the studabaker DOO's coming from? Also the copy of the new torsion spring...same maker? I nearly got burned by the torsion spring as I didn't realise they were copying it already...I just happened to ask if it was an Eagle Mike spring only to find out it wasn't!

As it has been said in the past....it's your engine/bike....you put whatever you think you are comfortable putting into it......happy riding. But I'll stick with the proven, tried and tested products. Thanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hmmm...??? Where are the studabaker DOO's coming from? Also the copy of the new torsion spring...same maker? I nearly got burned by the torsion spring as I didn't realise they were copying it already...I just happened to ask if it was an Eagle Mike spring only to find out it wasn't!

As it has been said in the past....it's your engine/bike....you put whatever you think you are comfortable putting into it......happy riding. But I'll stick with the proven, tried and tested products. Thanks.
As been said before yep yep , However to answer your question they are made in (new york) I can get you in touch with the guy manufacturing them if you like. Actually I am pretty sure you already have that info but if you need another copy just let me know.
Just stating the fact's.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As been said before yep yep , However to answer your question they are made in (new york) I can get you in touch with the guy manufacturing them if you like. Actually I am pretty sure you already have that info but if you need another copy just let me know.
Just stating the fact's.

You're pretty vocal about these folks. What's your connection with them? I get the impression it's more than being a happy customer. You own a piece of it?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Get the pitchforks and torches! Why is everyone so obsessed with this? I got an Eagle doo and would again, but to each their own. Is a witch hunt really necessary?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just like you, I am new to KLR's.
I have been riding for over fifty years and I think this is one of the best bikes ever for me!!
I have other bikes but I just can't stop riding this thing!
All you have heard about the "Doo" is not hype!!
Mine just came out of the shop before I got it. The Doohicky broke taking out third and fourth gear as well as a shift fork!! I got the old parts with the bike and they don't look so good.
Just imagine if that happened to you at 65mph or so!!
Change the sucker now and sleep tonight!!!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Just like you, I am new to KLR's.
I have been riding for over fifty years and I think this is one of the best bikes ever for me!!
I have other bikes but I just can't stop riding this thing!
All you have heard about the "Doo" is not hype!!
Mine just came out of the shop before I got it. The Doohicky broke taking out third and fourth gear as well as a shift fork!! I got the old parts with the bike and they don't look so good.
Just imagine if that happened to you at 65mph or so!!
Change the sucker now and sleep tonight!!!
Could you post some pics of your parts please.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Pinoyal, whoah. I want to see pictures too!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Kind of tough for me to send pics but here's the deal.
The worst of the two gears was a "slider". Not sure if it was third or fourth but it looked UGLY!!
The shift dogs were completely broken off!!!! I have blown up a lot of engines during my long racing career and have never seen a gear this bad. Almost like it was not heat treated properly.
The other gear was not that bad and the shift fork only had a scratch in it. I personally would have run the shift fork again.
Was not much left of the Doo at all and a broken spring.
I sure feel better that this happened before I got the bike cause the shop that worked on it is very good.
Strange thing is that there are no teeth missing from both gears. I would think these gears are mighty strong to see dogs broke and no teeth missing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts