Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, like every other guy I'm always looking for ways to improve the garage and work shop.

Post pics of your workspace and what you like or don't like about it.

I have some plans in my head to tear down all the lousy shelving that was here when we bought the house and do something like this:

but with a little more color, a nice two tone on the walls, some good shelving and cabinets and if I'm lucky some cool flooring.

Some day soon when I have time and a bug up my butt Ill dive right in and renovate they way I want ti, but for now, its a nice functional work space for my biddings..

·
Registered
650 Posts
It used to look like this...

then it looked like this...

now it's more like this .. with clutter.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as a quick aside - what's the UK rear number plate about? :)

Just a plate Ive had over the years, used to be on my Rover but it wasnt registered to that vehicle ever, just for looks.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Hate to show you guys up, but here's a shot of my "work space."

Like some forlorn character from a Disney or Pixar movie, the KLR is destined to spend life in a gravel-floored shed along with only way too much lawn care equipment for
company. At least it's inside, I guess.

It has its pros and cons:

Pros: Gravel floor makes it easy to take care of oil/gas/beer spills, etc.

Gravel floor results in lowered appraised value for property taxes vs. a slab.

Distance and location in relation to house makes it easy to act like I don't hear
my wife when she's yelling at me to come do something.

Cons: Distance and location in relation to house makes it easy for my wife to act like
she doesn't hear me when I yell at her to tell her I need more beer.

No electricity. Only light source at the present is a Coleman gas lantern.
(Intend to hang some flourescent shop lights so I can run an extension cord out
there for lights when needed. Really not worth the expense to get the place wired.)

Tools stored in basement of house. If you need something, you have to go get it.

Almost impossible to find dropped hardware in the gravel without the aid of a
magnet. I've learned to put a tarp under the bike before beginning work.

In accordance with town/county ordinances, I have a set of permanent horseshoe pits about 30 feet in front of the shed. Thus, I have to fend off an endless parade of drunken horseshoe players who just want to "take the KLR for a spin." No, I never let them, not even in my pasture. And also endure banter for the rest of the evening between said drunks and their wives as they discuss whether or not it's a good idea for him to get a motorcycle. The wives always win that argument, thus I am destined to ride alone.

Here's a shot of my "Home Depot Bike Lift." (Two concrete blocks with wood shims to put under the footpeg brackets.) It's not much good for elevating the bike to comfortable working levels, but gets it up enough to pull off the front and rear wheels, pull off the swingarm, etc.

Seriously though, enjoyable thread. Some of you guys have some really nice facilities. Thanks for sharing the photos of them. If they ever seem inadequate, just use photos of mine for reference.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Man, stop showing photos of that TW! That thing is too cool. I want one.
See how it is right by the door,It don't go far but it gets ridden just about every day.Great bike to have here on the farm,makes me smile every time I start it up.

Drove my pickup yesterday for the first time in about 2 weeks.

Filled up the TW yesterday, the first time since I got it ,about 1.5 gallons for a couple of weeks of running around the farm.

Farmer

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
See how it is right by the door,It don't go far but it gets ridden just about every day.Great bike to have here on the farm,makes me smile every time I start it up.

Drove my pickup yesterday for the first time in about 2 weeks.

Filled up the TW yesterday, the first time since I got it ,about 1.5 gallons for a couple of weeks of running around the farm.

Farmer
You're lucky to have found it and own it. It's just a da**ed cool bike. Keep riding and enjoying it! I've been envious of it since you posted the first photos here after you found it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts