Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, in a SHTF scenario and we experience a EMP (electromagnetic pulse) what all would burn out in the KLR and what would need to be replaced. Definitely the fully transistorized breaker less ignition, but anything else?

I know that ANY modern car would be down and out for the count since they are so complicated, but our bikes only have the ignition as far as I know that would need to be replaced.

My idea, get everything needed and keep in a conductive anti-static bag, so that it wouldn't get fried and then replace the burned out components on the bike.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I will be watching this thread, interesting question...

Everything I have read is saying most EMP'S will effect the grid, cell tower, satellites, etc.... It would take a EXTREMELY STRONG EMP to effect anything not hooked up to the grid. They don't "think" a EMP from the sun can be strong enough..( but there are other ways to get a EMP )

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will be watching this thread, interesting question...

Everything I have read is saying most EMP'S will effect the grid, cell tower, satellites, etc.... It would take a EXTREMELY STRONG EMP to effect anything not hooked up to the grid. They don't "think" a EMP from the sun can be strong enough..( but there are other ways to get a EMP )
from the sun it would be a CME (Coronal Mass Ejection) the small stuff causes northern lights etc, a big one, like the one that hit the earth in 1859 would definitely destroy our entire infastructure. (But it also knocked out the leading technology of the day throughout all North America and Europe: the global telegraph system. The CME was so strong it literally gave telegraph operators electric shocks and created auroras more brilliant than the moon.)

but your right, a few hydrogen bombs detonated 100 or so miles above the earth would completely fry ALL electronics, including ones not hooked to anything, such as our vehicles, bikes etc..

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
Lol, I think in a real SHTF EMP episode a bicycle would probably be the most practical transport... Obviously not for long distance though! :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
According to an article I read on Spaceweather.com, yes, It should be fine.
But it's never happen since we had a grid or cars, just telegraph, so it is all speculation.
Canada and South Africa may have been hit, only effected grid, think that is still being debated, not sure...
"Supposedly", even with a nuke EMP it is a "line of site" thing. The higher it is the more area it effects but less effect on things not hooked up to the grid.

I will post effects after it happens and let you know... lol

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
EMP of sufficient magnitude disables all non-shielded semi-conductor components (solid-state diodes, transistors, thyristors, etc.; critical components in both Generation 1 and Generation 2 KLR650s). Kiss your CDIs/"Fully-Transistorized Breakerless Ignition" igniters, safety switch matrix diodes, etc., GOODBYE!

Your LED lights probably won't work, either!

Get a bike with points/coil/condenser ignition to survive atomic doomsday.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Plan for the worst, hope for the best...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EMP of sufficient magnitude disables all non-shielded semi-conductor components (solid-state diodes, transistors, thyristors, etc.; critical components in both Generation 1 and Generation 2 KLR650s). Kiss your CDIs/"Fully-Transistorized Breakerless Ignition" igniters, safety switch matrix diodes, etc., GOODBYE!

Your LED lights probably won't work, either!

Get a bike with points/coil/condenser ignition to survive atomic doomsday.
or have spares in a faraday cage.. and install after the EMP.

My thing was, your hundreds of miles from "home" and need to get there. The KLR will go almost anywhere, sips gas and you'll be able to get more from cars stuck on the road. Even if you have to cross the entire country, you could with less than 100 gallons of fuel.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Get a bicycle, guns, food, water, just in case nothing else works. I've been prepping for years. Not paranoid just want to be prepared for any scenario. Weather, econ. collapse, Hag in office, terrorist issues, etc...

Reactions: 650Stew

·
Registered
241 Posts
Way the last night went and now today, may get to test our SHTF readiness then we would like...

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm about as ready as I can be. Food, a good, clean water supply, ammo, very good camping gear, guns, maps of all dirt roads in the 5 state area, etc...

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
The US government did a test years ago with a dozen vehicles and subjected them to EMP; the results were that a good number of them did just fine.....even with their electronic ignitions, etc. I think there was only one or two in the test that needed parts replaced. I think the KLR would be just fine as is....depending of course.

Dave

1 - 19 of 19 Posts