Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have a total of three bolts that have apparently vibrated out of both my side covers on my 2007 KLR 650.

I went to the local shop but they have to order them.

I wanted to try and find some elsewhere tomorrow since I would like to ride. But I do not understand the size reference. The Kawasaki parts description is "Bolt, 6x16" Can someone explain what the 6x16 means? Or any additional details that might help me locate it elsewhere.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are small I would say. There is a plastic tab with a screw hole that is on the side cover and a metal one connected to the side of the edge of the radiator.

I may try to load a photo if i can find my cable to connect my camera.

I got some screw at Advance Auto parts that are M6-1,0 x 16 mm, but they seem just slightly too big for the hole.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess so. That was a closest they had. I thought I would give it a shot. So pitch is short for pitch diameter?

·
Registered
522 Posts

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Garden-variety, 6 mm bolts; got a generic replacement in my own '07 right now!

Once went to a Kawasaki dealership; the parts counterman looked and looked and looked for the EXACT replacement; couldn't find it . . . we substituted a Honda bolt from its plastic factory packing . . .

Latest, ACE hardware's closest clone, with a washer, to replace the button-head bolt.

6 mm by about 16 mm long; not precision tolerance or fit. (I think the pitch is 1.0; take in a surviving OEM bolt, find a compatible nut to confirm the pitch.)

·
Administrator
3,674 Posts
I replaced my side cover bolts with stainless allen head bolts and a stainless washer. Any bolt supply house should be able to set you up. Use a drop or blue loctite on them but don't get any on the plastic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts