Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I posted questions about lowering the bike using lower seat, lowering links and perhaps some combination of both (I really want to get the seat height down to 31" which is about 4" lower than stock). My next question, is there a good aftermarket lower side stand that will work well?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Ok, so I posted questions about lowering the bike using lower seat, lowering links and perhaps some combination of both (I really want to get the seat height down to 31" which is about 4" lower than stock). My next question, is there a good aftermarket lower side stand that will work well?
I believe so, but I don't know where to find them. My 08's stand was too long. Made the bike stand too tall (common). Hack saw and some JB weld fixed it.

Here ya go: http://www.klrforum.com/2008-klr650-wrenching-mod-questions/6555-08-kickstand-mod.html

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Can't help on the sidestand (most just cut and re-weld) but be aware of the impact of lowering on the suspension settings and geometry. Lowering links exacerbate the already weak spring rate and dampening (dependant on year, the 2014 NE + are stiffer) so you may need to address your shock depending on load. Stock 2008-2014 is good for 160lbs or so and starts to become "less good" the higher the actual load turns out to be.

I know 4" isn't an easy modification but I always recommend starting with a seat and taller boots first!

Dave

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am starting with the lower seat first but I sat on a lot of bikes in the showroom and I am comfortable at a height of approx 30.5-31.5" which probably means that I will be lowering the bike around 2"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has anyone tried the adjustable side stand made by Soupy? I wonder if that would be the best solution.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have the adjustable side stand made by Soupy. I haven't lowered the bike, but I experienced several tip overs using the stock stand on my Alaska trip because the stock stand causes the bike to stand too upright.

In 18 months of use, I haven't experienced anything that makes me regret the change. The footprint of the Soupy side stand is smaller than the stock footprint and I worry about the stability sometimes but I've not had any bad experiences with the smaller footprint yet.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
I carry a 3" circle of 1/4" aluminum in my tank bag that I throw under the stand if I'm on loose ground.....I'd rather not have a huge "foot" getting in the way or rubbing on the swingarm.

just another option,

Dave

·
Registered
206 Posts
My next question, is there a good aftermarket lower side stand that will work well?
"Good"?
What is the definition of good? JK!
I cut and welded mine. Previous owner did the suspension lower and didn't change the stand. Took me awhile to figure that out! Got practice picking it up though. Helped me lose 3lbs.
If you can yank it off, cost a lot less to have a shop do it then repurchase IME.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts