Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sidestand of my '09 rubs on my swingarm when it's up; enough that it's wearing off the metallic label there. Anybody have any quick and easy ways to get it to stick out away from the swingarm a little more when it's up?

I'm going to be bypassing my sidestand switch here in a couple of weeks and thought this might be a good time to take care of both problems at once.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

·
Registered
94 Posts
same problem here. eventually going to take a grinding wheel to the back of the stand and remove a little material off the foot.

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good idea; actually never thought of that. I use one of those sink-no-bobs that I've got flush with the back of the stand foot, but I could just trim it off, too. I only need another 1/4" or so of clearance, probably not even that much but thought I'd go for a little more.

I don't have any welding capabilities, but was thinking of maybe finding a spot where the stand passes the bracket and maybe JB-welding a washer or something there so when the kickstand goes up, it rests on the washer and sticks out farther.

Might just be easier to remove some material as you noted.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Is the sidestand bolt tight?

I would think you could bend the big honkin' bracket the side stand is mounted on. Get a big crescent wrench on it or whack it with a hammer.

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the sidestand bolt tight?

I would think you could bend the big honkin' bracket the side stand is mounted on. Get a big crescent wrench on it or whack it with a hammer.
Haven't checked the tightness of the pivot bolt, but there seems to be a lot of slop/play in it. I'll do that before I proceed further.

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same thing happened to mine. Eat your Wheaties and bend that mofo back about an eight of an inch.
You're talking about the bracket, right? Sounds fun. I like beating things with hammers.

Had a class at work and they asked us how we relieved stress. One guy said, "A bag full of kittens and a hammer.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but just notices that my sidestand has taken a nice slice out of my swingarm from the same rubbing.

Fixing the rubbing, probably not an issue, but what to do about my new swingarm notch? It's about 2mm deep. A little Quicksteel or similar epoxy to cover the damage or take it to one of my welder friends and have them draw a nice bead down the slot?

·
Registered
303 Posts
If there is a hole... just fill it to keep water out.

other than that... it's charactor
Oh, she has plenty of "character" already, if by character you mean battle scars, and ground in dirt. Just seems to be a failry key structural member, then again with some searching, I have found pictures of far worse without seeing any breakage.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Oh, she has plenty of "character" already, if by character you mean battle scars, and ground in dirt. Just seems to be a failry key structural member, then again with some searching, I have found pictures of far worse without seeing any breakage.

He's right. Both the rider and the bike have earned character. My camera shutter speed is messed up, or the operator needs more schoolin'. The bike was about up to the levers in the drink last Sunday when I squeezed off this shot. The delayed shutter response missed the best of it......

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
303 Posts
The bike was about up to the levers in the drink last Sunday when I squeezed off this shot. The delayed shutter response missed the best of it......

Welcome to the forum!
I really like that shot, plenty of pics around where the rider is armpit deep, but that one works so well with the wake and me already on my way out of the shot.

Thanks for the welcome.

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I kind of forgot about this thread. I think I made available a photo of my "solution" to this problem in another thread, but forgot to put it here.

I just rolled the KLR alongside my Toyota pickup and kind of leaned it up against it so it couldn't move sideways, then extended my kickstand and attached one of those ratcheting cargo straps to it. I attached the other end to the trailer hitch on the Toyota and ratcheted away.

Probably kind of a "high risk" operation, as I have no idea where the stress was transferred to: the bracket, the kickstand itself or the pivot bolt, but it worked and has held together for a few months now. No more rubbing.

I wouldn't really recommend this technique to anybody, but it worked for me. "A simple solution for a simple man."

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but just notices that my sidestand has taken a nice slice out of my swingarm from the same rubbing.

Fixing the rubbing, probably not an issue, but what to do about my new swingarm notch? It's about 2mm deep. A little Quicksteel or similar epoxy to cover the damage or take it to one of my welder friends and have them draw a nice bead down the slot?
Hi,
Did you get this sorted? I have exactly the same issue.
James NZ

1 - 16 of 16 Posts