Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Sidi Adventure Rain boots - anybody have them?

13K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  Cabrito 
#1 ·
I've been looking at the Sidi Adventure Rain boots. I like how the upper part is velcro and not latches.

Does anybody have these boots that can give any feedback?

I've been using my old Matterhorn waterproof combat boots forever.

#2 ·
.... and if you could post what your paid and where, that would be cool. i am thinking about getting these boots too, but my local stealership wants $640 plus tax.

#3 ·
$640? Wow that is expensive. You must be talking about the Gore-tex waterproof ones. They are over $600.

I'm looking into the non gore-tex ones. They run $375 everywhere that I can find them. They call them Adventure Rain boot, but only advertise them as water resistant.

I tried a pair on today at a place called Motostrano in Redwood City, CA. They have a website. They only had a size 10 but suggested I try them on. I'm usually a 9 or 9.5. They were too big. They are getting a shipment tomorrow with my size so I'm headed back to check them out tomorrow or Monday. They look rad. I've been wanting a decent pair of motorcycle specific boots forever. Tax refund is sort of burning a hole in my pocket.

I found quite a few threads about them over on ADV.

#4 ·
I ordered and received the SIDI Adventure Rains (non Gore-tex) from Revzilla this week and found that my normal size (13/48) was a bit large, so I ordered a second pair 1/2 size smaller (12.5/47) to compare them. Should be here mid next week. Chris at Revzilla has been very helpful. Paid $375 but received $15 in-store cash. Just looking at the boots they seem to be of excellent quality. Not too heavy, all buckles work well and are replaceable, not like wearing ski boots at all and like Cabrito mentioned, they look rad - man! Looking forward to giving them a workout.

#5 ·
yeah i plan on the gortex. my area is rain not snow, and my bike trips always seem to land in september showers. but $600 bones is a lot of cash for boots. just seems out of control to me. i get that they are really well built boots, but come on.

#6 ·
The price for the gore-tex is way extreme.

From the reports on ADV the basic model seem pretty good in the rain. I'm sure there are a lot of cheaper boots that would be water proof.

I think that the $375 price is too steep, but I've got this tax refund burning a hole in my pocket and I've always wanted a nice pair of real MC boots.

The Combat boots that I wear are water proof and it's been great to ride in the rain and be able to take them off and have dry feet.

#7 ·
Somehow, SIDI seems to hold the line at $ 375 US on the Adventure Rain Boots; all Google hits quote that price.

Fortunately, my local dealer give club members a 20 % discount across the board . . . MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Yet . . . can't bring myself to spring for 'em; bought a pair of closeout O'Neal Elements at Pep Boys for $ 20 . . . maybe the additional protection's worth the difference in price.

I have hurt my ankle in a fall with the Elements; would the hinged joint of a robust pair of SIDI's or equal have prevented the injury? If I knew, for sure, yes; I'd pay $ 500 for 'em.

#8 ·
Bought them yesterday

Okay, I sprung for them.

The first thing that came into my mind as I drove off with them was that I AM A TOTAL POSER! Why the heck would I drop this sort of coin on boots?? Mostly because I'm getting a pretty good Tax refund and I've never had a real pair of MC boots. I do have a pair of MX boots but they do not work for everyday riding. Also, since I'm planning on more off pavement riding I wanted something a little tougher than my Combat boots for ankle protection and shin protection. These seem like a nice dual purpose boot.

Another feature that I like is that the top flap just velcro's and does not have latches so that you can get your pants over them easier. I'd met a guy last year that has them and noticed that singe feature.

They sure look cool too.

The fit for me is really good.

Now if it would just stop raining....

#10 ·
I've actually been thinking about that. Of course I have a ton of excuses, like the fact that I have to move two cars to get my bike out of the garage.

I also want to take a rain ride because the bike stalled unexpectedly last week when it started to rain. It started right back up, but it was weird.

The funny thing about them is that they are only advertised as water resistant. The Gore-tex version is twice the price.

#12 ·
From what I can tell there is not waterproof treatment on them.

#13 ·
two of my riding buddies wear them. one set is broken in and when we were swamp riding, his feet were dry. the other guy just got them and found em stiff at first and looked like a idiot trying to shift. i hope to be both of those things if i can scrape together the cash. how do they fit size wise?

#16 ·
These comments fall right in line with everything I've read on ADV.

They fit me great. I tried a size 10 because I heard they run narrow, but I'm really a 9.5 so that is what I ended up with and they fit me perfectly.

I took a quick look at the litterature for these boots and they do have a waterproof (resistant) fabric in them similar to Gortex but there was no name listed for the fabric.
I was on the Sidi site or what I thought was the Sidi sight (might have been the Italian one) they listed only the Gore-tex ones.
Do you happen to have a link?

Here's what SIDI's website says about the liner: Membrane equipped to add a water resistant yet breathable barrier between the elements and the rider's feet. Have not found a review yet that mentions that their feet got wet. One guy claimed that they leaked but later found that it was his rain suit that leaked and the water trickled down into the boots.
I think I read the same stuff on ADV about the guy's suit leaking into the boots.

#15 ·
Here's what SIDI's website says about the liner: Membrane equipped to add a water resistant yet breathable barrier between the elements and the rider's feet. Have not found a review yet that mentions that their feet got wet. One guy claimed that they leaked but later found that it was his rain suit that leaked and the water trickled down into the boots.

#19 · (Edited)
Gore has strict quality control conditions for the label, and for the GUARANTEE Gore-tex offers.

Gore-tex controls the seam-sealing machine availability, I believe.

All labeled Gore-Tex garments must have Gore design approval and samples submitted for examination and testing at their Maryland facilities.

I do not address any, "worth it," discussion; I only discuss the policies and the facts.

"You pays yer money and yer takes yer cherce."

Here's the story, straight from Gore-Tex (I had the opportunity to catch the "original cast production" myself, oncd):

http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellite/home

-------------------

Now I'll talk about something I know even less about: How SIDI has held its MSRP of $ 375 for the Adventure Rain Boots.

Most products have some variability of Internet pricing; not these babies--$ 375 or forget about it.

Not saying they aren't worth it; just curious how they hold that retail price.

#20 ·
SLO,
Thanks for the links. Now I do recall seeing that on the RevZ site. They do provide a ton of info on lots of stuff.

Damocles,
I have heard that Gore has a lot of restrictions before you can use their name and products. In some circles though it's known as "wet-Tex". I suppose it's because as with any product it will wear out.

All that's left for me is to stop being such a poser and get out and ride with them!

Thanks again guys.

#21 ·
... or at least stand in a bathtub full of water for a few minutes and tell me if they leak

#22 ·
I had the tub half filled and the girlfriend chased me out. Oh well..

I did wear them today for the first time. Nice and warm and fit nicely under my riding pants. It was 43 at the house when I left here in SF.

Stiff as hell and a lot like my MX boots. I must have blown at least four shifts. :(

I hope they break in a lot.

#26 ·
Now, what kind of armor do these suckers have?? I need to replace the boots I currently use which have none.
This is one of the reasons I wanted them. I've been wearing Matterhorn Military boots -Similar to these, but with the non metallic safety toe -
http://www.corcoranandmatterhorn.com/ItemDisplay.asp?Style=4007831&CategoryID=34
They are comfortable, warm, and dry, but they have no ankle support or armor besides the toe.

The Sidi have shin guards, replaceable ankle pucks, and much more ankle support.

Motorcycle Superstore has a good sale on them right now, and free shipping.
MC Superstore does have a lot of Sidi's on sale, but not these ones. (yet)

#28 ·
All broken in now

I got a little discouraged with my Sidi Adventure Rain Boots because of how stiff they were so I went back to the old Jump boots for a while.

Well... This last weekend I took them on a 17 hour ride in the dirt, mud, country roads and freeways.

I can tell you that they are officially all broke in and I'm not sure they are waterproof. They are totally comfortable now and I like the added protection over the army boots. Mostly the Shin and Ankle protection.

After multiple water crossings none of which were over the top of the boots and the top was covered by my pants and gear anyway my feet ended up being soaked. I had knee high socks that were soaked from the toes to the top of the sock.
I'm not sure though that it wasn't just my sweat. It was pushing 80 degrees and during the dirt portion of the ride my whole body was soaked. My pants under my riding gear were wet, my shirt was wet, my jacket was wet. I must of lost a few pounds from perspiration. So it's not conclusive on if they are waterproof or not.

I can say for certain that I'm liking them a lot. They do squeak like hell though when I walk.

#30 ·
Nice, sounds like a great deal there Paper..

Do your boots squeak? Mine squeak like crazy, but I hear that some of them do.

#34 ·
Those books look killer. I love the Revzilla videos.

The reason I went with the Adventure was the Velcro closure on the upper half of the boot. My thinking was that I could easily get my pants over it.

I found one about how the Adventure stood up to a crash. In the video he mentions the squeaking and he also says they are leather and plastic, but I don't think that is true. From what I've been able to find is that they are not leather.

#36 ·
I think there are leather components but the bulk of the boot is made out of some sort of plastic.
"Top grain leather and Lorica construction"

I need to go look at them closer, but they don't feel like leather.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.