Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have seen skid plates for 1st gen / 2nd gen and some that fit all years. what is the difference between the 1st and 2nd gen when it comes to skid plates?
i did a search of the forum but did not find an answer.

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
the front mount is different due to the front motor mount difference IIRC. You should be able to use on either with a change of mounts

Dave

·
Administrator
3,565 Posts
Generally the skid plate is the same but as @DPelletier mentioned the mounting is different. If you check Happy Trails’ offer at the bottom of the page they have instructions that mention the differences. A mount kit for the 2nd Gen models is an additional $6.

https://www.happy-trail.com/skid-plate-klr650.html

·
Registered
97 Posts
Aluminum Snow shovel ? Ahhhh ,back in the day....Many a enduro bike got a skid plate made from an aluminum snow shovel. In fact, a Bultaco would not be correct without this homemade component !. However ,what are some of the pro and cons of the different brand skid plates out there that fit the Gen 2 -KLR ?

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
material, thickness, fitment. I've been happy with my Ricochet's (also sold under a few other brands) but the collective opinion is that the JNS skidplate is the best.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts