Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Hope to.understand why this is happening. I have recently had the choke pop out of the carb so reattached that thinking it was the cause of difficulty with hot starting, which included some backfire action.

Since, it starts better hot, but every day 2nd time, there is a stroke which is a subdued backfire.

It has a new iridium plug (which required tank and associated line removals), changed oil, cleaned air filter, LED bulbs and relay and that’s about it. It has 9900kms on the clock and all on sealed roads so far.

Any insights please folks? What would you check with that symptom?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
I would double check the 4 fingers on the plastic choke ferrel (choke nut) and the threads on it. It should not just be able to 'pop-out' of the carb.

Also, Please tell me that you properly / Thoroughly RE-Oiled your air filter after cleaning? It is the oil that stops the dust!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would double check the 4 fingers on the plastic choke ferrel (choke nut) and the threads on it. It should not just be able to 'pop-out' of the carb.

Also, Please tell me that you properly / Thoroughly RE-Oiled your air filter after cleaning? It is the oil that stops the dust!
Ok will check first, thank you. The thread going into the carb was fine, but I understand what you’re saying as being the other end of that nut.

Yep; oiled the filter too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What happens if you start it without touching the throttle?
I don’t tend to use throttle to start it. What’s your thinking?

I note when taking off from first an ever so so so slight pop which I can feel in the delivery as well.

Has to be related and must be choke i feel, but again eager to hear yours and others’ views.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Ok...the small rubber cap was off that part, but it wasn’t the problem.

I checked the connection at the carb and that was still fine....turned out to be the choke adjustment was to far adjusted down-wise.

Took it back up and presto-problemo-disappearo.

Thanks for taking time to share your thinking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts