Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just did the torsion spring upgrade in the doohickey and after the first ride to work I noticed a small ‘werring’ noise coming from inside the case. No adverse performance issues or vibration. I am 99% I did the job right and everything went back in it’s right place and everything was tight.

I was wondering if this is just because the chain is now drum tight and will settle in or has it over tightened.

Looking for advise and options.

Thanks in Advance

·
Administrator
8,479 Posts
It is not possible for the torsion spring to over-tension the chain. Some whirring is normal, as long as it is a happy sound.

I believe it is possible for the torsion spring to contact the starter ring if the spring is not properly pushed up over the hub of the lever, but that would not be described as a whirring (or happy) sound.

Make sure that the adjustment locking bolt is properly torqued, too.

·
Premium Member
7,011 Posts
Hi just did the torsion spring upgrade in the doohickey and after the first ride to work I noticed a small ‘werring’ noise coming from inside the case. No adverse performance issues or vibration. I am 99% I did the job right and everything went back in it’s right place and everything was tight.

I was wondering if this is just because the chain is now drum tight and will settle in or has it over tightened.

Looking for advise and options.

Thanks in Advance
This is totally normal for the near zero slack balancer chain when fitted with the EM Doo & Torsion spring.

This is also partly why I recommend to turn the engine CCW to TDC before adjusting the doo in the future. Positions the sprockets back into the original assembly position, chain slack on the proper side of the system.

And why Eagle Mike has been recommending to only re-adjust the torsion spring equipped doo-hickey every 7500 miles. Instead of every 2500 miles when we used to use the Old Style Extension springs.

Reactions: roadrash83

·
Administrator
8,479 Posts
Andrew,

...This is also partly why I recommend to turn the engine CCW to TDC before adjusting the doo in the future. Positions the sprockets back into the original assembly position, chain slack on the proper side of the system...
Have you seen the video where this is explained? It is a very good practice. I can provide a reference if you have not seen it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I would absolutely describe the sound as a ‘happy’ whirring sound. It is not really audible useless you’re crouched beside the bike. I did do the work with the motor at TDC as suggested in the video and was happy with the position/searing of the torsion spring. The bolt was torqued to spec.

I was never alarmed by the noise but prefer to be safe than sorry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts