Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking a nice ride up the coast today and shifted nice and smooth into fourth. About ten seconds later (probably) the bike slipped into third. RPMs shot up. I shifted back up. Rode an hour or so and no further issues. This has happened to me several times, but RIGHT after I shifted. So I didn't think too much of it. There was definitely enough of a delay today that it was in fourth and then slipped. I swear my left leg isn't that weak. Any ideas? Next oil change I'm going Rotella, but I'd appreciate any other thoughts. About 6K miles on the bike and I don't thrash it.

Never really happened to me on another bike that I can recall...

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I've had it happen on various occasions on different bikes, and it's always a sloppy shift to blame..
Usually about once a year I catch myself with a bad shift and the bike lets me know what I did.. This year on the Wing, I was downshifting and I didn't do my job and the bike slipped into a false neutral..

If it starts happening on a regular basis, it's a sign of a worn gear or bent shift shaft or fork.. If it's just every great once in a while, it's a sign of the rider thinking about the ride.. :)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thanks. Yeah, I'm chalking it up to operator error, but I wanted to check and make sure it wasn't clutch gremlins. :50: :)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, that was my 500th post. And an important one it was. :11a:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!

(this one is especially important...a post for the ages) ;)

Seriously though, if any of my posts helped anyone, I am eternally grateful to be able to return the knowledge given me by the folks on this site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's happened to me a couple of times but I just figured I wasn't paying enough attention to riding. I have always been rubber necking the scenery when it happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts