Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a winner of a few slow races.... they really have these....anyway the same trick used for this will work in the woods on tight slow trails as well, i know most folks never take a gen 2 KLR in the woods or single track kind of riding to start with so if you are a 90/10 kind of rider you can go to another thread now.

So here it is turn your idle speed up.....that is it anywhere from 1500-2500 RPM lets you trail brake if you are going to fast..KLRs and other big thumpers have enough torque at low rpm to keep you moving without constant on/off throttle brake throttle slip clutch etc that is required on a bike with tall first gears. I learned this on old BMWs, tractors and a DR 650 which has a salt flats first gear. :frown2:

This idea will work for some , others not in either case its free and easy to change. :character00201:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
On the other side of that coin, if you are on a long steep twisty downhill trail riding in ATV ruts where slow speed and lots of breaking is required, turning the idle way down helps increase the engine breaking and may save your brakes from overheating.

I am thinking of a section of the Piute ATV trail that the Trans-America Trial runs on west of Richfield, UT.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Both are great tips, I have stalled my KLR a few times wishing first gear was about 25% lower. All we need now is an idle speed adjuster on the handle bars!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts