Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well....hope everyone is having a great summer! I am excited about getting the scheduled rallies back moving for the fall riding season! First up is the SM500!

If you are not familiar with the Smokey Mountain 500 ride, it is a loop on some premium FS roads and mountainous pavement in the great states of Tennessee, North Carolina, and Georgia! The loop can be run either direction - clockwise or counterclockwise. This year, the plan is to run it clockwise. As usual, Steve and Johnboy will be heading this one up! If you cannot make the whole thing (like me), join in when you can.

We have planned the route to allow us to be staying at certain campgrounds when they are serving dinner/breakfast. Gas is normally available nearby the campgrounds. Several riders will either be tenting or sleeping in their bear burrito each night. If you decide you want to rent cabin/bunkhouse from these fine motorcycle campgrounds, you will want to go ahead a touch base with them. Just make sure you have the correct nights you are staying.

UPDATE: CMTC and TWoS currently do not have empty cabins for the date we are there. If you don't plan to tent, give them a call and get put on the waiting list. Also....Kickstand lodge called me and said they don't have enough tenting room on Friday night??? So....I contacted the campground we normally go to, Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge, and they are first come first serve on tent space. They have a bunkhouse as well. I have updated the schedule below.

Schedule:

Thursday, Oct. 1 - gather at the Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground, (Tellico Plains, TN)

Friday, Oct. 2 - depart CMTC ~ 9am, heading to Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge (Stecoah, NC)

Saturday, Oct 3 - depart IHML ~ 9am, heading to Two Wheels of Suches (Suches, GA)

Sunday, Oct 4 - depart TWoS ~ 9am, heading back to CMTC.

Rider____________Bike_______Days________
johnboync........... ....KLR650............ALL
steve.......................KLR650............ALL
cherokee_chuck...... .KLR650..........Fri-Sun

Hope to have a good crowd. We will have multiple leaders in case we want to run smaller groups.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey now, you know I'm in. I need to break this white/blue thing in the right way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well.....be prepared to tent. TWoS and CMTC has their cabins rented out. You can ask to be put on a waiting list, though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Kick it over...

(or let Chuck ride it)

sre
I only fall over after telling the noobs how easy the crossings are on whitt rd.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
There's always one, I'm just trying not to be the one. ;) We will know Day 1.

I'm not sure if this year will be better because more of the crappy loose gravel will be downhill.

sre

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Updated....

Schedule:

Thursday, Oct. 1 - gather at the Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground, (Tellico Plains, TN)

Friday, Oct. 2 - depart CMTC ~ 9am, heading to Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge (Stecoah, NC)

Saturday, Oct 3 - depart IHML ~ 9am, heading to Two Wheels of Suches (Suches, GA)

verboten1................701 Enduro......ALL
RedFunduro............AT1000............ALL

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Updated....

Schedule:

RoRo........................KLR650............ALL
Lee Carpenter.........KLR650............ALL

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ll be there Thursday.
Zach....looks like this was your first post. If you have any questions, please let us know. What bike will you be using on this trip?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Updated....

Schedule:

RoRo........................KLR650............ALL
Lee Carpenter.........KLR650............ALL
Zach........................KLR650............ALL

·
Registered
5 Posts
I plan on being at Tellico on Thursday afternoon/night. Will be riding V-Strom 650. Sorry guys but after 15 yrs riding both Gen 1 and Gen 2 I took a wild hair. Still would love to find a good Gen 1. Miss the KLR. If you remember my 2012 KLR was stolen last October. They actually found it or what was left of it a few weeks ago.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts