Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Everyday, I get closer to just planning to camp on the side of the trail. Jump in a creek to clean off the dirt and bring lots of TP, some backpacking food to boil in a bag and a knapsack to catch snipes in and I should be good. Save $50 or more.

Other than supporting them, which I fully do, it isn't like I need the campground. I'm glad that they have lot so business, but I'm not a crowds type of person.

sre

·
Registered
85 Posts
I did something dumb in the heat outside, broken the head off the needle jet holder tube and it’s stuck screwed in the carb. Gonna take it to a tiny shop tmw down the road see if they can help me get it out. Replacement is back ordered , should arrive around the 22nd. We shall see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
I still haven't reattached my top box that broke off running through Hurricane Creek back at the Blue Ridge Run. I also have a turn signal that just decided to break off. Needs new grips too.
That dang 2011 is falling apart!

Im hoping to find the motivation and time to get on those this wknd.

sre

·
Registered
127 Posts
I need to install my fatboy suspension and ABS defeat....I'll not be beaten by rear ABS this year.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Less than 3 weeks away.....who's in?

Schedule:

Thursday, Oct. 1 - gather at the Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground, (Tellico Plains, TN)

Friday, Oct. 2 - depart CMTC ~ 9am, heading to Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge (Stecoah, NC)

Saturday, Oct 3 - depart IHML ~ 9am, heading to Two Wheels of Suches (Suches, GA)

Sunday, Oct 4 - depart TWoS ~ 9am, heading back to CMTC.

Rider____________Bike_______Days________
johnboync........... ....KLR650............ALL
steve.......................KLR650............ALL
cherokee_chuck...... .KLR650..........Fri & Sun
verboten1................701 Enduro......ALL
RedFunduro............AT1000............ALL
RoRo........................KLR650............ALL
Lee Carpenter.........KLR650............ALL
Zach........................KLR650............ALL
OPW........................AT1000............ALL
John........................790R................ALL
tdcanada................DL650...............ALL

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Oh, hammocks would be okay there, right? My tent holds 3, so I was gonna leave it if I end up going...

Carb should be ready for new emulsion tube / needle jet holder soon as it arrives from RMATV maybe 22nd (backorder).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hammocks are a bit iffy at TWO. They don't seem to have a problem with folks using them, but they don't have a lot of tree pairs to use them in. I have identified about 4 places that I can hang and 2 of them are sketchy tree layouts. If the campground is "Full" those avaialble trees might be in use or have very close neighbors.

I guess one could go off property up behind the showerhouse and find space more easily, but I don't know how the owner would react to that.

At the Ironhorse, there are trees in the camping area, but I didn't scout that very much. I found a pair and hung it up. The Kickstand lodge is a similar situation, they had a few pairs but I just grabbed one and hung it up.

This week or next, I am going to scour the route and see what I can do about figuring out a roadside campsite that will allow me to hang for free. What I want to do, is ride with the group to the intended campground to get folks settled and then arrive back there the next morning to gather the troops and head out. That offsite camping plan is mostly as a back up. I will stay with the group if the cards fall in place.

Lastly, I have been trying to get in with a portable hammock stnad like the one that I borrowed last year. If I get crazy and buy one of those, then I'm good to hang anyplace. :)

sre

·
Registered
127 Posts
No worry, we will stay on the highway side of the guardrail this year. Unless some folks want to take that detour again :)

sre

New spring and rear ABS dongle installed. As long as we go down the steps I'm cool lol.

·
Registered
158 Posts
At a previous SM500, JohnnyBoyNC and I met up at some random location and rode up together. The first year, we met in Highland, checked out some of the route and had a lunch stop on the way. If we do that again, we will post up and anybody who wants to tag in can do that.

This year, we gotta get to Tellioc Plains, so, we might do a more direct route, who knows. I just follow JBNC.

sre

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well. I did what I didn't think I'd do. I bought a hammock stand. I'm hoping it gets here on Monday and I get a chance to practice setting it up a few times.

sre

·
Registered
158 Posts
There is a strap that goes end to end that hold it all together. A rain fly drapes over that, ties off to the end poles and you stake it to the ground as ususal.

sre

·
Registered
85 Posts
At this point, just hoping to be able to go. The hammock will be a necessity for me unless pitching a tarp tent.

So yeah...I wanna be able to hang out w/ everyone and make sure I’m around, but at this point I figure it’s definitely a hammock trip for me...somehow.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts