Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I have to admit...I was skeptical at best. I've fallen prey to bloated claims on internet forums before so it's easy to see why, even though it is free, it took me a while to try the 'Smile Maker' mod.

Well, I'm experiencing some downtime due to a brake problem so I went ahead and bit the bullet.

I added the washers drilled the slide and pulled the snorkel.

WOW!

This mod lives up to it's name. Before, I had to rev the engine pretty good and let the clutch out relatively quickly while pulling back on the bars just to pull the front wheel. After completing this mod I just about landed on my ass just by twisting the throttle and leaning back! Surprised the hell outta me........and put a BIG smile on my face!

There have been plenty of writeups about this so I'll keep mine brief.

Here's some pics.

Pieces Removed:

This is what the carb looks like after you take everything out:

This shows two different sized washers. The total thickness of these was .050" which was what I wanted but the larger of the two washers would not fit down in the white plastic piece so I actually used two of the smaller OD washers which are actually thicker than the larger OD washers:

In the end I ended up with a total washer thickness of .065":

Here's a view of the diaphragm and slide that I don't remember seeing on any of the other writeups:

I used a 7/64ths bit as recommended to drill the slide:

If your on the fence about this.....DO IT!! Well worth it. Only took me about 30 mins but I should say I'm pretty handy with the tools and I had everything I needed right nearby.

Here's a link to the gallery where you can see these pics in hi res:

http://photos.digipenguin.com/GalleryThumbnails.aspx?gallery=166952

·
Registered
147 Posts
Excellent job with pic's and procedure thank's alot. I really amazed how much the klr is restricted until you get it some air and fuel and also an exhaust will make a big difference thank's for posting

·
Registered
63 Posts
So just to confirm, you drill out the "port" from the "bottom" of the slide only and its the "port" closest to the edge of the slide.
Dont want to drill the wrong place and have to fess up to my mates that I willingly messed up my baby.

cant wait to do the mod, hopefully wont fall....again!

Humpty Dumpty

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
So just to confirm, you drill out the "port" from the "bottom" of the slide only and its the "port" closest to the edge of the slide.
Dont want to drill the wrong place and have to fess up to my mates that I willingly messed up my baby.

cant wait to do the mod, hopefully wont fall....again!

Humpty Dumpty
You are correct.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is there any benifit to doing this mod if you already have a "Dynojet" kit installed?
My '04 has a dealer installed Supertrapp IDS exhaust and a dynojet kit and I seem to recall reading in a thread (and I have no idea where) that there is no need/benifit to doing this if a kit has been installed.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Turbod98

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Enlarging the hole in the slide will give you quicker throttle response and removing the snorkel will let in some more air but the Dynojet kit is better overall for the needle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a K&N filter with "OuterWears" cover, and the snorkel was removed and airbox top mod done last weekend (noticeable improvement).

While the bike seems to be running fine, I believe that I will need to make a fuel correction as the bike should be somewhat "lean" now.

At this point I do not know what jetting the dealer installed, but they did provide me with the remaining kit/parts for future adjustments. I will need to do some checking and research before I do anything else.

Turbod98

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've done this mod, and if I had it to do over, I might reconsider drilling the slide. It's true the throttle response will help you loft the front end, but it is more difficult to ride the wheelie with the decreased ability to feather the throttle. Further, the abrupt throttle response can upset the bike when rolling on the throttle while going through a turn. KLRCary mentioned the lack of neutral throttle somewhere, but I can't find the links. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but the trade-off is rarely mentioned in these threads.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi tas2,
just as well I waited a while, throttle control coming out of dirt corners is VERY important to me as most of my riding is done on dirt roads where dropping a gear into corners, powering through and out is essential, I dont enjoy the back end sliding out unpredictabley which it seems you have experienced with this mod, will just lift the needle and remove air box snorkle to start with, and hold on drilling the slide.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The best way I can explain it is like this. Between accelerating and decelerating due to engine brake, there is a narrow range of neutral throttle. By drilling the slide, you gain throttle response, but make neutral throttle more narrow or even harder to find. Both setups have their advantage, both on and off-road. I guess we have to each decide for ourselves what works for us.

For me, the added difficulty of finding neutral throttle can be annoying while off-road, but it is never to the point of being unpredictable. On-road, especially in the twisties, rolling on the throttle a little too quickly coming out of a turn can give you a good scare.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sorted, thanks for the "heads up" info...at least I know what to expect and watch out for....will let my mate who is always mouthing off about "oh just crank it hard out the corner" take it out first and see if he comes back with big eyes!!!! he, he.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts