Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well....it is time to start planning our Fall Rides! We normally get things moving with the SM500 around the end of September. To help create some smaller groups, we decided to have 3 loop rides on this weekend.....'Smokey Mountain 500', 'The Bootlegger' (northern half), and a loop I have been working on for the past year.....'Over-Mountain Loop'. Unfortunately, due to the flooding and the destruction of Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground on August 17 from TS Fred, I feel I need to postpone the OML. The BRMC and the FS roads south of the BRP, is a big part of the OML, so I will keep it in my back pocket for awhile and see what happens.

As for the SM500, this option for the Loop Weekend is a staple in the Adventure Riding world! We have had this ride for the past several years and are happy to have it on this weekend again. In the past, one of the campgrounds has been the Ironhorse. For the time being, we are going to replace it with Kickstand Lodge (KSL), also in Stecoah, NC.

Our friend Lee will be leading this ride! He will be posting up details as to where the starting point will be and in what direction he will be taking the loop. Thanks Lee for all your efforts!

What: Smokey Mountain 500
Where: TWoS --> KSL --> CMTC
When: September 24-26
Who: All welcome......dirt and twisty pavement!

RIDER..........................RIDE..............DAYS
Lee Carpenter...............T7.............Thur(pm)-Sun

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well....it is time to start planning our Fall Rides! We normally get things moving with the SM500 around the end of September. To help create some smaller groups, we decided to have 3 loop rides on this weekend.....'Smokey Mountain 500', 'The Bootlegger' (northern half), and a loop I have been working on for the past year.....'Over-Mountain Loop'. Unfortunately, due to the flooding and the destruction of Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground on August 17 from TS Fred, I feel I need to postpone the OML. The BRMC and the FS roads south of the BRP, is a big part of the OML, so I will keep it in my back pocket for awhile and see what happens.

As for the SM500, this option for the Loop Weekend is a staple in the Adventure Riding world! We have had this ride for the past several years and are happy to have it on this weekend again. In the past, one of the campgrounds has been the Ironhorse. For the time being, we are going to replace it with Kickstand Lodge (KSL), also in Stecoah, NC.

Our friend Lee will be leading this ride! He will be posting up details as to where the starting point will be and in what direction he will be taking the loop. Thanks Lee for all your efforts!

Where: CMTC, TWoS, KSL

[/QUOTE

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Updated.....

Where: TWoS ----> KSL ----> CMTC

dbrown....................KLR650..........Thur(pm)-Sun
tdcanada...............weestrom........Thur(pm)-Sun

·
Registered
46 Posts
if you have ever been to Holly flats campground on FS 126 you can understand the difficulty with the alternate route . Especially the section going east past the waucheesi mt road . Think of getting fire and ambulance service through there and being able to get around on coming traffic that could include large RV's . Can't leave Green Cove cut off for an extended time . Getting that road work done will be as big an undertaking as building the bridge I'm thinking . Peace ya'll .

·
Registered
46 Posts
For what it's worth , 126 from 384 has been graded and heavily graveled . That must not be the holdup on the bridge replacement .

·
Registered
192 Posts
I MAY be skipping out to go west the following week.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
2 weeks to go!!! Anyone else looking to go on this fun route?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I called kickstand lodge, and they do not allow one night stays. The owner was rude too. So, we can stay either at iron horse for $40 a person or primitive camp at Stewart cabin just outside Joyce Kilmer. What would y'all like to do?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Stewart cabin has a primitive camping area with a privy but no running water. I'm going to two day quick ride the SM500 starting in Suches in the morning. I'll stop by there and see when the Forest Service locks the privy for the season. Anyone want to join me?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts