Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have an 03 KLR 650 that I bought used about a year ago. At that time it had 4600 miles. After buying tons of aftermarket parts and pieces I finally have the motorcycle set-up. But, I now have a problem and don't know what to do.

One of the aftermarket parts I bought was a K&N metal mesh airfilter. During a 3 day offroad trip in extremely dusty conditions my bike started running rough, eventually dying completely on the trail. After checking everything, (fuel, spark) I pulled off the airfilter and it was totally blocked with dust. And with no air getting into the engine I fouled the plug. I cleaned it as best as I could in the field and made it home eventually, with the bike running rough and underpowered the whole way.

Once home, I went back to the stock airfilter and installed a new plug. In the month since that trip my bike now blows blue smoke especially on deceleration. What kind of damage do you think I did to the engine? What tests should I do? Anything specific I need to look for?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Ed

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I am NO mechanic, but I would think the valves could have gotten burnt. Hopefully a mech will chime in with some better info on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do a compression test to check the leak down on your cyclinder, If thats within spec then I would change the valve seals first, (it's pretty simple to do if you're mechanicaly inclined). If your compression isnt within spec then it's either the rings,or burnt valves.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Blue smoke while the engine is running that gets worse on decel is a symptom of bad rings.

Look on the bright side though.
Looks like you'll get a chance to replace that weak kawa oil ring soon.

Daniel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts