Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got spoiled over the summer. 53 degrees and windy today seems chilly. Be wishin this was back a month from now.:(

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Got spoiled over the summer. 53 degrees and windy today seems chilly. Be wishin this was back a month from now.:(
+1 Froze my hands solid just doing a little 50mile run on the KLR today in the rain. Last I looked it was only 45 degrees here in Western Ohio.:animal0034:

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I know how you guys feel.. Time to prep bikes for winter.. :(

But Saturday's supposed to be in the 60's around here.. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Lookin forward to winter... I LOVE blastin around my pasture in the snow on the ATV..

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yeah those three day when the snow is deep enough to use a snowmobile in Ohio really rock. I love chasing them down the road in my truck! LOL

If we can skip the three months of cold wet rain and ice it wouldn't be so bad. I liked winter a lot more when I lived in the Adirondacks.

·
Premium Member
5,513 Posts
I'm hoping to stretch some more days of riding before the snow flies. I can do my commute as long as it's at least in the mid-40's on the way home in the dark.

When commuting, I can only gear up with what I can keep in my tote thing so that limits the amount of warm clothing/boots I can wear and still store.

If I just ride around here, I can tolerate some pretty low temps wearing my Walls insulated coveralls.

A little easier to stop riding this year since I've got a rather large laundry list of projects for the KLR and a heated basement to keep it in to get them done. At least if I can't ride it, I can work on it and I need to familiarize myself with the machine at levels beyond where I've gone so far

Since it would be a real pain to get it back outside to start it, I'm in the process of rigging up an exhaust vent using an old dryer vent in the basement so I can at least start it up and make sure it still runs after I finish what I'm doing. Don't want to wait until Spring and take it out and not have it fire up and have no idea what one of my multiple projects might have caused it.

So, if I disappear over the Winter, you guys can rest assured I died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

·
Premium Member
5,513 Posts
just make sure the other end of that dryer vent goes to something other than the dryer. lol
The challenge is slipping the vent pipe over the actual exhaust. It shouldn't get that hot if I just run it for a minute or so, but don't want a bunch of plastic melted to my pipe if it does. The first three feet or so are going to be one of those flexible metal dryer vents and I'm going to try to use that fiberglass muffler-repair fabric stuff in the end of the vent pipe to try to get a snug fit around the muffler.

I doubt if anybody else here is stupid enough (unlike me) to try this but, if you do, you didn't hear any of this from me.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I've seen it done several times. Best one had a small fan at the exit to draw exhaust outside. Plus it had some negative pressure on the intake so a perfect fit was not required. Worst one was a metal pipe that got inserted into the muffler that was attached to 30 ft of garden hose.

·
Registered
73 Posts
California weather

We will be getting a few more camping trips in before Thanksgiving and get the opportunity to ride the whole year.

I would not know how to act if I was in snow!

" the snowmobile did look fun"

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Stopped whining, layered up and went for a spin; life is good. :)
I rode to work today, too.. It was 31 degrees and the ground was white with frost.. I will admit that I took the BMW to work, and that was because one thing I don't have on the other bikes..

Heated grips!!!:)

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I rode today too. A bit nippy this morning (36°F) but the ride home will be great! The weekend is supposed to be nice in the upper 50°'s.

The biggest problem here in Wisconsin during the winter isn't the snow, it's the darn salt. They seem to try and match the snow depth with salt depth. Wouldn't think of driving the bike after a snow till after we have the first really good rain in spring to wash the roads off.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I
The biggest problem here in Wisconsin during the winter isn't the snow, it's the darn salt. They seem to try and match the snow depth with salt depth. Wouldn't think of driving the bike after a snow till after we have the first really good rain in spring to wash the roads off.
Absolutely! At stop signs, I've seen salt piles that are 2-3" thick because they forget to shut the spreader off.. I don't like corroded motorcycles, so I don't ride after they salt, and the issue is that the road will be white with salt all winter long..
First GOOD rain, as Sardog mentioned, is when I'll kick around getting the bikes back out.. And not until..:animal0034:

·
Premium Member
5,513 Posts
I rode today too. A bit nippy this morning (36°F) but the ride home will be great! .
It's the opposite for me: the 32-mile ride to work at 2:00pm is nice, but it was dark and 40 out when I headed home at 11:00pm and it was a tad nipply. I need to pick up some gauntlet-type gloves to keep air from infiltrating my jacket sleeves.

The windshield helps a lot and I wear those "cop-type" leather/nylon boots from work, but as long as I keep them tucked up close to the engine, my feet stay warm.

I've noted that when I first head out to come home at night, it seems cold, but after that, even though I'm riding faster, for some reason I seem to warm up. I guess it's just adapting to the cold a little.

40's about the cutoff for me on the commute. 40 in the dark seems a lot colder than 40 in the daylight.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts