Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My main ride is my C14, farkled in so many ways, it's my foul weather bike for commutes, the '05 KLR will be my fair weather ride-aint that something? And of course the KLR will be used off road every chance I get, I'm setting it up as an adventure bike ready to tackle anything thrown it's way. I also have a YZ450F, it's my mid life crisis bike (49). I also have an old 225 shaftie Yamaha quad and three wheeler, an old XT250G almost resurected, and my old trail 90, which sometime in the future will breathe life.
So, who's next?

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
The KLR is it for me. The one I ride will be the last and only motorcycle I buy and ride before I die or can't ride any more.

I've never owned a "street bike" and the only ones I've ever ridden were an old Triumph Bonneville my older brother converted into a "chopper," a Honda 350 my brother restored and a Kawasaki Ninja 750 I had to ride back to post from a city impound lot after a guy that worked for me in the Army got a DWI. That's it. Oh, and a Kawasaki 90cc 2-cycle "mini street bike" that I got when I graduated from my 49cc Honda Mini-Trail back in 1973 or so.

I still don't comprehend the purpose behind that Kawasaki 90-cc 2-cycle street bike other than for old people to haul along on their RV's and to ride around campsites on, but it was the bike that taught me how to ride and is still my personal favorite bike I've ever owned. I remember my Dad telling me I could either pick it up cheap, or wait awhile and get a real "dirt bike" when we had more money. I wanted it bad and chose it and have never regretted it. I rode it like a dirt bike and it never failed me.

Got out of riding for awhile, but then owned a Suzuki SP600 and a Honda XR650L.

Anyhoo, my KLR is the only motorcycle I own. I have no interest in anything other than DS machines. Nothing against street bikes: just personal preference. I've never wanted one. I've never been interested in quads or ATV's.

I have no need for a true "dirt bike" because I'm too old, fat and out of shape to ride one and lack the necessary skills to fully take advantage of it. If I rode one as they're intended, I'd probably wind up in the hospital.

At this point in my life, I'm straight KLR.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
This:

73 CB450 - my dream bike since I was a teenager.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Bicycles. I have nine bicycles and two bare frames in the boxes in my garage.

Hopefully in August the Yamaha Super Tenere will be released and I will be riding one. Barring dealership politics I am first on the list for Sacramento.

·
Registered
34 Posts
2008 Suzuki B-King - Because everyone needs a 180+hp streetbike. 0 to HOLY SHITE!! in just a few seconds. I honestly dont know how i still have a valid drivers license. All of my friends who have ridden the 'King have also been amazed at how good the handling is for a big bike (580lb wet), everyone seems to think it will handle like a pig, but it feels more like a 600 supersport, a pretty amazing engineering feat imo. I do have to say though, the KLR has been stealing a fair amount of seat time from the BKing lately.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I also ride a Buell 2008 1125r. I think the new KLR is going to see a lot more time out of the garage than the Buell this summer. I've got the exploring bug.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have an 06 Suzuki Katana 750 for the street and a 90 KX500 for the dirt. The KLR is for everything in between. I find myself riding the KLR the most as it's just a fun bike to ride. It don't go very fast, ( My Katana does that) but it seems to be able to go anywhere.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Bicycles. I have nine bicycles and two bare frames in the boxes in my garage.

Hopefully in August the Yamaha Super Tenere will be released and I will be riding one. Barring dealership politics I am first on the list for Sacramento.
I forgot I do have a mountain bike, a Specialized Hard Rock. I'm embarassed to say I haven't ridden it much since I got the KLR. At the time I got it, I think it was kind of a stand-in for the motorcycle I didn't have and couldn't afford. I actually checked it over last week and made a promise to start riding it more this Summer.

I can't wait to hear some first-hand, no-BS reports on the Super Tenere from the dualsport crowd and it's good to see an old hand on this forum is getting one. I'm sure we'll hear about it?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
What else?? I forget.. :)

I arrived last night in Spokane to pick up my new toy.. I'll be going to pick it up and start my 2000 or so mile ride home, in about an hour..

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts

I arrived last night in Spokane to pick up my new toy.. I'll be going to pick it up and start my 2000 or so mile ride home, in about an hour..

Have a safe trip and minimal monkey butt. Beautiful bike.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Have a safe trip and minimal monkey butt. Beautiful bike.
Thanks! I've broken the trip up into smaller chunks purely to stop and smell the roses.. I'm only riding to Missoula today, but I'm taking the long way around and riding Lolo pass..:)

Not sure what time I'll get on the road, so I didn't want to do a big chunk today.. Gotta BS with the former owner, mount and wire my GPS, and whatnot..

Luckily, the weather is beautiful and 70 today!!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts

Nice bike! Have fun. :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
i finally got to run my f800 on some logging roads. I like it much better now that i have the crash bars and skid plate on and can treat it like the KLR! didnt take long to thrash the shit out of the stock road tires, lol.

·
Registered
562 Posts
My Bandit is for long distance rides, which haven't been much as of late. Only 4000 miles on it last year. Sad.

Some day I will have my CB360 up and running and I will use that as my Sunday go to meeting bike to go grab pizza and ice cream.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Paper,

Very nice G.S. I have been looking at an F800... So many bikes, so little time..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Buell thunderbolt s2 signature series.
It has the typical harley issues and is really expensive to maintain so I only ride it when I feel the need for some testosterone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts