Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, alright, this ain't about motorcycles. But it's important. It seems to me, and I could be wrong, that an evil mist is descending on this forum. I've seen it happen before. People start sniping at each other. Everyone's gotta be right. Egos get involved. I'm not trying to claim I'm an angel. I think this is something that just happens every once in a while. But I think we should be aware of it, because I'm starting to not like coming here. And I don't want that to happen.

This is a great place. I've met cool people through here. Shit, yesterday TOBJ took me fishing on his boat, brought lunch, and I caught a 70" sturgeon. Where else does that happen. You can focus too much on being right. Or nitpicking. Or getting defensive. And it can happen to all of us. And once it starts it breeds.

So, I just want to say, I would hope that all the members here think a little about what they want. I see new members posting quality stuff and then getting dumped on for dumb shit and it makes me want to just leave. But I don't want to do that.

This is a community just like any other and it is up to us to decide what kind of community it is going to be. The winds are shifting. And I don't like the smell.

My .02

·
Registered
815 Posts
I haven't seen the level of stuff you mention at all... where have I have been? Eventually people will work things out though. The only time I see negative outcomes is when moderators start deleting posts and leaving arguments hanging. Let people finish and the problems will get resolved. Censoring has never solved anything, that's why Glenn's site is a total POSNGFLAS. The mods always have the last say and that stings and it's also BS. Leave people be and things will eventually get resolved even if it takes a little bit. People may bring their kids on here, which I don't really understand unless it's pictures and most picture threads don't go south, so kids really shouldn't have much chance to see anything negative. And adults can make their own decisions to click out of any thread they want.

·
Registered
650 Posts
If everybody does everything I say... :46: we'll all get along swimingly...:character00271:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I'm tripping. I hope so. Could be the sunburn from the fishing trip addled my brains. (there weren't many to addle in the first place).

Not trying to be all preachy...I hope it didn't come off that way. I'm by no means perfect. I just like this place, that's all.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! But how come everyone goes on rides when I have to work. :50: :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Riding

I ride every other weekend. Usually one day 2up, and one day out for something challenging. I've posted quite a few rides here - some good, some EPIC - doesn't seem to attract much interest. The forum I frequent is centered around riding together. Although I could have it all wrong, I'm still new here. Do you all start riding a lot when the nice weather rolls in?

I grew up riding sport bikes, you think this forum is getting bad - check out BARF for good laugh.

:)

Sean

·
Registered
194 Posts
I just want to say as new comer, this has been a good forum. I figure when someone is getting testy, they are just trying to be cute. This is a KLR brotherhood. I wish I lived out west where I could go on some of your adventures and see what real KLR's do. :63a:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ride every other weekend. Usually one day 2up, and one day out for something challenging. I've posted quite a few rides here - some good, some EPIC - doesn't seem to attract much interest. The forum I frequent is centered around riding together. Although I could have it all wrong, I'm still new here. Do you all start riding a lot when the nice weather rolls in?

I grew up riding sport bikes, you think this forum is getting bad - check out BARF for good laugh.

:)

Sean
Yeah, I go on there sometimes. And I go for rides sometimes, too. ;) Keep posting em up, man. I'm kinda limited to day trips right now cause of my little girl.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I just want to say as new comer, this has been a good forum. I figure when someone is getting testy, they are just trying to be cute. This is a KLR brotherhood. I wish I lived out west where I could go on some of your adventures and see what real KLR's do. :63a:
That's what I'm talking about! Brotherhood. :)

(And sisterhood, sorry) :ashamed0001:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Don't know if you are a Niner fan but I am. My house has tons of memorabilia. I live in Dallas, I'm from Cleveland, Ohio, never been to San Fran and yet I am a hugh Nine fan, go figure. I have taken a beating by Cowboy fans. Supercross is in new stadium this Saturday, I plan on making it. When I was younger, they held it in the Cotton bowl and I went every year for about 10 years. Remember Bob "hurricane" Hanna?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't remember Bob, sorry.

I don't follow pro sports, but my wife's family does. Her Dad (passed a year ago) was a die-hard niner fan. I go to a Christmas party for work with Ronnie Lott, Harris Barton, and Willie Mays every year. I got to give him some signed stuff before he died. Pretty cool. Got to hold their rings. Ronnie is nice, but one intense dude. Harris is super nice. Willie is hilarious. If you ever come out this way I'll buy you a beer and tell you the stories. ;)

I work with kids...just so y'all don't think I'm some high roller who goes to star studded parties. I get enough shit for keeping my bike clean. ;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
That's cool to meet a few of the players. Bob was a dominant motorcrosser years ago, just haven't thought of that name in a long time.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
The only time I see negative outcomes is when moderators start deleting posts and leaving arguments hanging. Let people finish and the problems will get resolved.
Posts are deleted when they're causing an uprising that is getting out of hand, and should have been taken private to PM's in the first place.

Stopping arguments that are getting out of shape is part of our job. If you don't like it, bitch to the owner of the site, since it was his directive to do so. It was opened ONLY because the starter of the topic asked for it to be re-opened. If he hadn't made this request, it'd still be deleted.

Good times..:)

·
Registered
111 Posts
It's actually very cool of you to start this post. I agree with what you're saying but I don't sense the same dark cloud you're referring to. Not yet anyways. I'm not one to go out of my way to talk trash about others and I don't want to turn the thread into a "other KLR site" bitch fest (just making a comparison), but the other KLR site definitely seems to have that cloud. IMO, that place has gotten too big for it's own good. The sense of community just isn't there anymore. I don't even remember the last time I posted there. But the last 2 posts I did start ended with threats of vioence towards me (literally!), simply for asking honest questions. One of them was a prominent member who's very well respected. As Neil Peart would say, "What you say about his company is what you say about society". The information there is plentiful but this place has all you'd need to know, too! I mean c'mon.... it's a KLR. Not many components involved.

I think this site is cozy.... and so far the people have been generally nice and respectful. There doesn't seem to be an agenda here, other than the common interest in the KLR. All the other cool things that come with it, like new friendships, is a bonus. I've seen bickering here but it's been slight and always respectful. Folks can agree to disagree here and go on with their bad selves. I gotta agree about one thing, though, someone said in the "Post your mug" thread that KLR'istas are one group of fugly individuals! :) I guess I fit right in!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I for one like this site, I havent witnessed the problems you have. I come here because its small and has a good feel to it. The larger sites get a little outta hand and you never really get to know anyone. Ive posted on other sites and then couldnt find where I posted so I never knew if anyone responded.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks John. That's why I like it here, too. And that's why I want to preserve it...you're right, nothing major...just been a few things lately got my hackles up. I have no stake except I don't want move out of the neighborhood.

Dude, I just shaved my head. You wanna see fugly. :)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
The fish like it. ;)
That's because it smells like bait.

I have seen a bit of what Lockjaw has said, and I have to say that I don't like to see it. I am new to forums, and was asked from previous owners to be the "automated Welcome to the forum guy". Whatever. I do read everyone of them, and respond when asked to. I have recruted all of the current moderators, and am very proud of what they have done for this forum. I have asked others, but they have declined ( which is their choice) I have thought about things having to do with ths forum in the last few days, and I think I (peraonally) have figured it out. Three common factors. A bike, and a whole lot of people with knowledge about it. And a whole lot of people wanting to learn about it Wow, what a concept.

When we get into oil threads, and tire (tyre) threads, and other small detail threads, and start to have pissing contests I seem to sit back, and ask myself why? Is this really for the common good? I am by no means trying to calm things down with this reply, but, rather to break it down to the lowest common denominator. The bike, and the riders.

I have a huge respect for the Guru's here such as Paper, theotherbigjoe, Tomatocity,Larryboy, Tom Schmitz, Eaglemike,SLO-KLR, Big Iron,and the list goes on... Listen, and you will learn, if you don't agree, find the forum that will tell you want you want to hear.

Take care, and ride safe!

Mark B (4)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts