Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lol, always wanted aluminum panniers. Then I finally get them and I don't really care for them... They seemed to be getting in the way and made it awkward to get on the bike. So, I think if I ever get the opportunity to take a long trip (not very likely though!) I will scoop a set of soft bags and some soft bag racks. Hope the new owner gets more use out of them than I did! :character00201:

·
Registered
576 Posts
Lol, always wanted aluminum panniers. Then I finally get them and I don't really care for them... They seemed to be getting in the way and made it awkward to get on the bike. So, I think if I ever get the opportunity to take a long trip (not very likely though!) I will scoop a set of soft bags and some soft bag racks. Hope the new owner gets more use out of them than I did! :character00201:
I paid like $300 for Happy Trail's best luggage racks a few years ago so I could strap some ammo cases to them.

The Ammo Cases are like 90% done and I never finished them. I have only strapped things to the racks like maybe 10 times.

Ultimately they ended up being an expensive set of handle bars/place to hit my knees. Sigh. I suppose they do offer side protection.....

Reactions: 650Stew

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Don't feel bad guys! The first time you were to lay it down the aluminum hard pannier would turn into a pretzel never to be closed again! I much prefer the Magadan soft bags I use now.
JJ

·
Lifetime Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't feel bad guys! The first time you were to lay it down the aluminum hard pannier would turn into a pretzel never to be closed again! I much prefer the Magadan soft bags I use now.
JJ
Very true! Plus I was banging my darn shin on the things every time I climbed on, lol, not as graceful as I used to be!

I sold the racks with the panniers thinking it would make the sale more attractive. So if I get some nice soft bags someday I'll have to scoop another set of lighter sideracks to hook 'em on. Found some on ebay, buggers are pricey! Lol, I've still got a set of the factory (ick) KLR panniers that I can slap on if I need a little more storage. Still has my WRR beat all to heck, don't even have a luggage rack on that one! :fiddler:

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
AVC has some lighter duty Givi side racks sufficient for soft bags for $180. Lots of people have gotten legs broken under hard cases, put a foot down and it gets drawn under the side case.
JJ

·
Lifetime Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm... $180? I was thinking of maybe some borrowed shopping cart parts and some reusable shopping bags... Too tacky? No wonder no-one wants to ride with me... :(

·
Administrator
8,601 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Extra luggage

I don't do extreme off road riding, so I made a set of side racks from EMT pipe, and bought a set of $85.00 saddlebags.
I made same side racks for my Honda NX250. I can swap the bags between both bikes.
I ride mostly with out the bags, but when I really need the extra capacity, I just slap the bags on, and go.

Here's what my KLR looks like with them on... 2011 KLR650 (Scroll down 3 pix's)

Here's my NX with them on... NX250
( Scroll down 6 & 7 pix sets to the "Custom made side luggage frames.)

I also carry some DeLorme Atlas's, and they are to large for my tail bag, so I made this to carry them. It mounts to the same side racks on both bikes..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO7unOivJG8

·
Lifetime Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't do extreme off road riding, so I made a set of side racks from EMT pipe, and bought a set of $85.00 saddlebags.
I made same side racks for my Honda NX250. I can swap the bags between both bikes.
I ride mostly with out the bags, but when I really need the extra capacity, I just slap the bags on, and go.

Here's what my KLR looks like with them on... 2011 KLR650 (Scroll down 3 pix's)

Here's my NX with them on... NX250
( Scroll down 6 & 7 pix sets to the "Custom made side luggage frames.)

I also carry some DeLorme Atlas's, and they are to large for my tail bag, so I made this to carry them. It mounts to the same side racks on both bikes..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO7unOivJG8
Those are pretty nifty! I like the map holder as well, you are a handy guy :). I do have a new mig welder that I haven't had a chance to really play with so I might try to cobble something up. It's one of those cheapo welders though, and I don't have gas so it could turn out pretty scary! Lol :)

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
With a pair of ACTUAL saddlebags the weight is carried by the straps over the seat. The racks just serve to keep the bags away from the exhaust and swing arm ect. The bags may be fastened to the racks which serves only to stop them from flapping like wings while going over rough ground and stops them from dragging when leaned over in the corners.

Regards....justjeff

·
Lifetime Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With a pair of ACTUAL saddlebags the weight is carried by the straps over the seat. The racks just serve to keep the bags away from the exhaust and swing arm ect. The bags may be fastened to the racks which serves only to stop them from flapping like wings while going over rough ground and stops them from dragging when leaned over in the corners.

Regards....justjeff
The stockers are like that, just sit on the seat with a couple of adjustable straps going to the passenger peg loops. They came with my bike and worked well but they are quite small. And they scratch the plastics, but its a KLR so who cares? Lol!

I remember buying a set of Cobra chrome saddlebag hoops for my Shadow ACE... They were just small diameter solid rod bent into a "U" shape with boltups to go to the fender brace (also chrome of course!). I think they were $150 in 98.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Stew,
You just need flux core wire to run the MIG without gas. It doesn't make as clean of weld as with gas, more like a stick but is capable of welding on lighter steel.
JJ

p.s. I had a Shadow ACE too!
JJ

·
Lifetime Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stew,
You just need flux core wire to run the MIG without gas. It doesn't make as clean of weld as with gas, more like a stick but is capable of welding on lighter steel.
JJ

p.s. I had a Shadow ACE too!
JJ
Aye, I had the fancy praple one...

Lol, I traded her off on my KLR! ;)
Edit: You can even see the overpriced Cobra saddlebag guards in the pic! Sweeeeeet chrooome! Lol

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
That is identical to my Brother's. I had the preproduction model which was black. Both were excellent bikes we put many miles on trouble free.
JJ

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Those are pretty nifty! I like the map holder as well, you are a handy guy :). I do have a new mig welder that I haven't had a chance to really play with so I might try to cobble something up. It's one of those cheapo welders though, and I don't have gas so it could turn out pretty scary! Lol :)
Thanks!
I don't have any expertise in welding. I can "bolt-things-together' OK.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had a set of Givi E45NJ for side cases. They were better then crash bars. Very tough, held a lot of stuff and came off with a turn of a key and push of a button. The black plastic would flex and no scratches that stood out.

Givi E45NJ Junior Economy Monokey Luggage Case (ea) - 45 liters/case (Discontinued) - TwistedThrottle.com

I made side racks and use cheap Walmart soft bags. They hold more then Kawasaki bags. In a back pocket they have a rain cover. Work very well with the racks I made. I'd like to find a set of the Givi cases but they are discontinued. I will most likely go with Solo boxes. Very reasonable and well made. How ever metal cans. I know the first time I go down, I'll be sorry.

I used 1/2 inch tube from the hardware store. For the bends, I cut 1/2 chain links in quarters for the 90 degree bends. Welded it together with a flex core Harbor Freight welder. Little bit of grinding and paint it turned out fine.

I know it's a KLR. But the racks keep the soft bags off my side covers. Yah, I'm one of those KLR riders. I off road it, then take it to the car wash. I treat it like it's a Beemer or Concours 1400.

Classic Accessories 73707 MotoGear Motorcycle Saddle Bags Multi-Colored - Walmart.com

Attachments

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
For me it doesn't have to be all or nothing.. I sport both soft and hard bags on a regular basis. One real concern is having one roll up on you and breaking your leg or hurting it when you put your foot down in dicey situations.

Soft bags can be easily ripped on a branch, or other obstacle and put a real damper on a trip. I think they tend to look frumpy myself.
By Baja trip setup

Lol, always wanted aluminum panniers. Then I finally get them and I don't really care for them... They seemed to be getting in the way and made it awkward to get on the bike
Hard cases aren't for everyone that's for sure, but you might have just needed time to get used to them being there. Muscle memory can make new things challenging.. I don't even know they're the bike anymore.

---

I suppose they do offer side protection.....
Sort-of, they keep the bike from being flat on the ground and make it easier to get a hand under it to pick it back up sometimes.

---
The first time you were to lay it down the aluminum hard pannier would turn into a pretzel never to be closed again!
Sorry, but no. Again, it's not all or nothing for me. Mine have been down several times and are just a little scuffed up. I think it depends on the cases and the situation though because I've seen them munched up like a potato chip before, but that was on a guy's KTM 990 that he rode like a dirt bike in Baja.

I'm serious when I say they've survived more than a few tip-overs, and low speed get-off's...

Not all bags are created equal. TomatoCity found out with the plastic bags on his big Tenere. Held together with my Rok-Strap after they cracked up.

---

I was banging my darn shin on the things every time I climbed on, lol, not as graceful as I used to be!
Just gotta remember they are there and adjust your style..

If you can't fit what you need in that set-up, you have too much shit.
True, but you know that I tend to carry too much shit myself with soft or hard cases..

SnakeBoy's old setup when he was a KLRista.. His ammo cans look bad-ass, and took a beating with a few get-off's on our rides together.

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I got my '09, it came with Happy Trails mounts and aluminum panniers. They were HUGE, and got in my way, so I sold them and bought a set of Duratool plastic boxes from MCM Electronics. They're inexpensive, waterproof, and very tough. I still had $200 left from the aluminum box sell afterwards.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts