Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to replace my tires. Some questions:

--If I'm only replacing them because the tread's gone, is there any reason to replace the tubes, too?

--Which tires do you personally like for 80-90% street, 10-20% dirt, and why? I've been browsing some of the guides that are already out there, but would also like to get input from you guys. I'm leaning toward the Avon Distanzia, but hope I won't regret that if I find myself back on dirt trails for any reason.

--Is this an easy job to do yourself?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I replaced my stock with Continental’s Escape. They are 80 on 20 off. I really like them. The only off road I do is seasonal roads and I don’t have any problems. Much better on roads, most noticeable cornering.

I can’t remember for sure but I don’t think I replace the tube. It’s probably a good idea to do so while you have it apart anyway and the tubs are the least expensive part.

I had a friend do it who has a tire machine. I’ve heard stories about how difficult it is, so I wouldn’t even attempt it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My tires of choise are brigstone trail wing 41/42 , on road it's great but in the case of the rear tire if your using 120 and if you use your bike on long distances , above 60mph the tire will get so hot that you will see the bubber glued to the tarmac :D , great grip i'll say but it won't last long , i use 130 on mine and let me tell you that problem is gone , maybe i will loose that ''extra'' grip but the tire will last longer ; off road use is great tire .
The job os changing tires is doable but will have to put some efford on it , great way for practicing when you out there , far from home , alone and you got a hole in your tube ...
The tubes i usualy do small inspecion before putting the again , also if you've done some hardcore offroad with it i would exchange it for obvius reasons . I don't know about you guys but on my country is cheap so i prefere to get new one's

Cheer's

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
It's time to replace my tires. Some questions:

--If I'm only replacing them because the tread's gone, is there any reason to replace the tubes, too?

I change mine every other tire change.

--Which tires do you personally like for 80-90% street, 10-20% dirt, and why? I've been browsing some of the guides that are already out there, but would also like to get input from you guys. I'm leaning toward the Avon Distanzia, but hope I won't regret that if I find myself back on dirt trails for any reason.

Completely depends on your riding conditions.. I've been way off road in mud on 90/10 tires, but I used to ride offroad a lot and had the experience to get out.. Some else might have had a problem running full offroad tires in the same stituation.. If you're only riding street w/ occasional 2 track fire roads or gravel, a 90/10 tire will be fine..

--Is this an easy job to do yourself?

Yes!! Buy the tools once, and you can pay for the tools within the first couple tires.. After that, you're paying for tires with money saved!! I typically take about 30-40 minutes to mount a tire.. I was just thinking about this, as my KLR needs two tires, my BMW R80 needs a new front, and my VFR needs two tires.. I'll be changing all of them this week..

Check out YouTube on dirtbike tire changing.. It's really not that hard and it saves a lot of money!! If nothing else, it forces you to become more familiar with your own motorcycle. That could be very valuable if you were to have an issue out in the middle of nowhere..:)
And no, my bold letters are not YELLING!! Just wanted to answer in your quote..:character00286:

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
I change my tubes every time I pinch them when swapping out tires. So I guess that's every tire change. HA!!

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I change my tubes every time I pinch them when swapping out tires. So I guess that's every tire change. HA!!
I've been known to pinch a few myself..:character00271:
Cross your fingers for me tonight.. Changing out front and rear on the KLR.:64a:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have about 500 miles on shinko 700s they have been through everything and handled it all better than I did. Pack up with mud but did ok in snow, gravel, rain, and dry. Gotta love Idaho 60 and sunny one minute snowing the next.

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
I just bought a set of tires for my KLR. After much deliberating (agonizing actually!) I decided against the cool looking Mefo Explorerers and went for a set of Avon Gripsters. Though I like the tough go anywhere look of the Mefo's, reality is that I ride pavement and gravel roads so I would rather have a more street oriented tire. Heard lots of good things about the Gripsters and they say they last a long time. Think I made the right decision? Hopefully I did, and if not I can always switch to more aggressive tires next time. I also picked up some Motion Pro tire spoons and a bead buddy to make the changes go smoother.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Most of my riding is on road like most but when I do venture off road I want a tire that will handle it well, not a street tread that I hope does well in the dirt. As soon as this set of Dunlops expire I have a set of TKC80's sitting in the garage ready to spoon on. This will be my first set of TKC's but I know a few that run them and they swear by them on and off road.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
I just bought a set of tires for my KLR. Heard lots of good things about the Gripsters and they say they last a long time. Think I made the right decision? Hopefully I did, and if not I can always switch to more aggressive tires next time. I also picked up some Motion Pro tire spoons and a bead buddy to make the changes go smoother.
I've got a set of Gripsters on one of my KLR's and I really like them - accept for the price. The rear will probably need replacing at the end of this year and it will have about 10,000 km. on it. Not as good as the Kenda 761 on the other bike that currently has 14,000 km on it.

Hope you picked up some spare tubes too. Where did you get the tires from?

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Oy, I didn't pick up any tubes... Am I that likely to pinch one? I was trying to get a set of Duro Medians because I heard good things about them and they were cheap, but the 3 or 4 big mail order companies in the States wont ship tires to Canada, something about USPS size restrictions?

The Gripsters weren't too expensive (compared to the Mefo's that I was considering). Shipping was $50 though. I bought them from aviciouscycle.com in Ontario, they are supposed to be shipping them today. I love the look of the tough knobby tires, but I would rather have a more street oriented tire since most of my time is spent on the street. I'd rather drop the bike in a grassy field vs on the highway at 110 kmh :D. The stock Dunlop K750's are not too bad, but I can almost see the back one wearing as I'm riding! I anticipate it being toast in less than a month. Tires are a hard decision, hope I chose right!

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Well, looks like that tire order fell through too, I must have screwed up punching in my Visa number. Bummer! Oh well, maybe I will just get a new rear thrown on at E&S in Ft. Sask in a couple of weeks time when it's smooth. I think they quoted me something like $130 installed for a trailwing since they don't make the Dunlop anymore. Any other good local sources for tires?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tires and tubes

If the tires are older than a year and worn out you should replace the tubes. They get stuck to the inner wall and weakened by heat. When you install the new tubes put talkem powder, (baby powder) inside the tires before you mount them, it keeps the tubes from sticking to the tires and if a sharp item punctures the tire it allows the tube to sometimes move out of the way and not puncture so easily.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
If the tires are older than a year and worn out you should replace the tubes. They get stuck to the inner wall and weakened by heat. When you install the new tubes put talkem powder, (baby powder) inside the tires before you mount them, it keeps the tubes from sticking to the tires and if a sharp item punctures the tire it allows the tube to sometimes move out of the way and not puncture so easily.

Don't agree about the tubes. Inspect them when you change tires if they look good there's no reason to replace them. I've had the same tubes for about 5 tire changes by now. There's no friction on the tubes and they can stand to get warm.

BTW if your tires are getting hot they need more air in them!

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Well, looks like that tire order fell through too, I must have screwed up punching in my Visa number. Bummer! Oh well, maybe I will just get a new rear thrown on at E&S in Ft. Sask in a couple of weeks time when it's smooth. I think they quoted me something like $130 installed for a trailwing since they don't make the Dunlop anymore. Any other good local sources for tires?
Stew:

We're kinda jacking this thread but send me a PM with a phone number. $130 at E&S is pretty pricey and Trailwings aren't that great a tire from what I have read but that's just someone's opinion. I just bought a SET of Kenda 761's for $120 all in. The place to buy tires locally is Alberta Cycle in Edmonton. By the time you figure shipping and all, even from the US, the price is about the same. You just have to decide what tire you want and get them to order it.

Some info about tires here although it's a bit dated:

http://www.standoutnet.com/extras/mike/motorcycles/klr650/tires/#contents

Also you can try Dual Sport Plus in Ontario but Alta Cycle will be slightly cheaper when all is figured in.

http://www.dualsportplus.com/index.html

http://www.dualsportplus.com/PDF_files/DS-tires_prices-12-2009v4.pdf

And lastly. Buy tubes when you buy tires if you plan on changing them yourself. You WILL pinch a tube and if you don;t have a spare you're driving back to town.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Stew:

And lastly. Buy tubes when you buy tires if you plan on changing them yourself. You WILL pinch a tube and if you don;t have a spare you're driving back to town.
That's for sure!!:)

I love installing a new tube, pinching it, and installing the old one back in..:(

Does Motorcycle Superstore ship to Canada? Right now a set of Kenda 761's are $85, shipped in the U.S. so I'm wondering what the charge is to get them just north of the border??:confused:

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
that's for sure!!:)

i love installing a new tube, pinching it, and installing the old one back in..:(

ya, been there done that too.

does motorcycle superstore ship to canada? Right now a set of kenda 761's are $85, shipped in the u.s. So i'm wondering what the charge is to get them just north of the border??

They ship to canada but not tires. They only ship UPS for other stuff and they kill us with border charges.
klr4evr

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Oops, I apologize for the thread hijack, I should have started my own thread. Looks like the tire deal for the Avons is back on, I must have punched in the wrong visa number but we got it sorted. I thank you kindly for the local tire info though, those are good prices! I'll be sure to check em out next time around. Again, apologies to the original poster for hijacking your thread... We will now return you to normal forum broadcasting... :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tire change

Don't agree about the tubes. Inspect them when you change tires if they look good there's no reason to replace them. I've had the same tubes for about 5 tire changes by now. There's no friction on the tubes and they can stand to get warm.

BTW if your tires are getting hot they need more air in them!

I am leary on using used tubes, in my 35 years of riding I have had 2 blowouts, one front and one rear and both at 70 mph. I managed to ride them both to a safe stop but it was a hairy ride especially on the front one. I am very fussy on my tire pressures and keep them at spec or slightly higher.
So that is why I suggested changing tubes but I must admit it does get a bit pricy if you go through tires fast.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts