Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2am. Hear a crash. Go out to the driveway and the bike is on it's side (kickstand side). My mother in law heard guys talking and had called the cops. The bike was in neutral. (I don't leave it in neutral) Bars locked. I assume they tried to roll it and dropped it because it wouldn't roll straight.

There was blood on the trunk. Hope the bastard(s) got a nice cut from the bike somehow. No damage that I could see last night (loose mirror and scrape on the crashbar - I think the crashbar is bent in a little, too). Gonna hose the blood off and check it out more today.

Uncool.

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
2am. Hear a crash. Go out to the driveway and the bike is on it's side (kickstand side). My mother in law heard guys talking and had called the cops. The bike was in neutral. (I don't leave it in neutral) Bars locked. I assume they tried to roll it and dropped it because it wouldn't roll straight.

There was blood on the trunk. Hope the bastard(s) got a nice cut from the bike somehow. No damage that I could see last night (loose mirror and scrape on the crashbar - I think the crashbar is bent in a little, too). Gonna hose the blood off and check it out more today.

Uncool.
Definitely uncool.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if they were REALLY trying to steal it. It was suspiciously close to bar closing time. Either way, though, lame.

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
People who steal or mess with other peoples' stuff make me want to puke. I'm a mild-mannered guy, but if I caught somebody going after my stuff, I would be more than willing to wind up in jail if I got arrested for beating their ass. It just unfuriates me. But, they're always cowardly enough to do it when they know you're not going to be around, like 2 in the morning in your case.

I live in a small town and as recently as, say, six years ago, I would have left my KLR sitting on the sidewalk in front of my house all night with the keys in it without worrying about somebody taking it or kicking it over.

Not any more, though. Even here, those days are gone. I used to leave it sitting down back outside my basement door, but I noted, on a couple of occasions, passing vehicles (usually kids) slowing down to eyeball it. So, now, I roll it inside when I get home.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm pretty calm and nonviolent, too, but I was definitely the guy with no shirt and jeans walking down the sidewalk with a hunting knife when I heard that bike go over. Not to hurt anybody, but I couldn't find the bat quickly and you never know. Dumb, in hindsight, but that's why you shouldn't mess with peoples bikes at 2 in the morning. :50:

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Been ripped off myself; know the feelings of violation, and the anger generated.

But . . . macho-man, testosterone-heavy rants notwithstancing, think a moment: Is even a precious KLR worth your life? Good guys don't ALWAYS win fights over property (or anything else).

And, depending upon the circumstances, local law, and social climate, injuring or killing a thief could lead to criminal charges, including murder.

Think about calling 911, and being a good witness. And, an insurance premium will cost a you a lot less than your lawyer's retainer, should you mix it up with these thugs.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Sucks.

Glad they didn't get far with it. Maybe they were just playing around and sitting on it when the shit hit the fan.

I would have been pissed.

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
Been ripped off myself; know the feelings of violation, and the anger generated.

But . . . macho-man, testosterone-heavy rants notwithstancing, think a moment: Is even a precious KLR worth your life? Good guys don't ALWAYS win fights over property (or anything else).

And, depending upon the circumstances, local law, and social climate, injuring or killing a thief could lead to criminal charges, including murder.

Think about calling 911, and being a good witness. And, an insurance premium will cost a you a lot less than your lawyer's retainer, should you mix it up with these thugs.
Wolves love sheep, and for good reason.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Wolves love sheep, and for good reason.
Hey, if "trial-by-combat" is your thing; and, you don't fear criminal and civil prosecution for use of deadly force when no imminent threat of death or serious injury to the innocent is present, do what you gotta do.

If you consider the death penalty appropriate for Grand Theft, Motorcycle; and, you consider yourself competent as judge/jury/executioner, then . . . your day is made.

Making a decision precipitating criminal and/or civil charges against yourself, risking a human life (maybe your own) over a motorcycle, might not be a sheep-like act; another animal may offer a more appropriate allusion.

Regardless, the choice is yours--call the police and be the best witness you can, or . . . live out a violent revenge fantasy, with its attendant risks.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
Sucks that somebody knocked you bike over, hopefully he got a good scrape/cut to teach him a lesson. I'm always paranoid about leaving my bikes out... My fire and theft insurance on the bikes is so high that I don't put it on. I just try to make sure that I park it somewhere safe all the time (like in my garage, where I work the whole plant is fenced so I'm safe there). Hoping the bike is fine and if there is a bright side, it's that they didn't get away with it.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I completely agree. Hence, the 'dumb in hindsight' remark. If someone threatens my family or me, that's different. Knock over my bike, I should have stayed inside. I was half asleep and not thinking clearly. The neighbors don't need to see a half dressed, tattooed, shaven headed dude walking the streets with a knife and a flashlight at 2am (they don't all know me, and that's not something I would want my daughter to see whether the guy was me or anyone else). And a MC is not worth violence or even the threat of it. Hindsight. You're right, I was pissed, but I would not have enjoyed a confrontation had I found one anyway and it would have ended badly no matter how you look at it.

I did not mean to condone my actions. It was a dumbass move.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hey Lockjaw, I'd get a XENA alarm disc lock for the bike as most bike thieves try more than once. Some thieves deactivated my car alarm on the 3rd try before getting my stereo years ago.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sucks that somebody knocked you bike over, hopefully he got a good scrape/cut to teach him a lesson. I'm always paranoid about leaving my bikes out... My fire and theft insurance on the bikes is so high that I don't put it on. I just try to make sure that I park it somewhere safe all the time (like in my garage, where I work the whole plant is fenced so I'm safe there). Hoping the bike is fine and if there is a bright side, it's that they didn't get away with it.
Thanks brother (and Cabrito). Bike and I are good...just took a ride. Had to adjust the rearview mirror, that's all. Crashbars did their job (thanks SW Motech). Cops were cool. No one got hurt. Well, someone got hurt. But it wasn't me, and they shouldn't have messed with the bike. Funny part...the way the blood got spotted (it was dark)...I have a sticker on my bike that says, 'messing with my bike may result in bodily harm'. I pointed the flashlight at the sticker to show the cop as a joke and that was where the first blood smear was. Irony. Then we took a closer look. I'm guessing they got a few stitches.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Lockjaw, I'd get a XENA alarm disc lock for the bike as most bike thieves try more than once. Some thieves deactivated my car alarm on the 3rd try before getting my stereo years ago.
I have one someplace. Of course. :character00271:

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
What WOULD you do; you macho, macho man (apologies to, The Village People)?

And, what have you DONE, in similar circumstances?

Using deadly force with no threat of death or serious injury to the innocent comprises what's laughingly called, "murder," in most jurisdictions; what's the law where you live, planalp?

Extract from MO SB 62, 41:
2. A person may not use deadly force upon another person under the circumstances specified in subsection 1 of this section unless:

(1) He or she reasonably believes that such deadly force is necessary to protect himself or herself or another against death, serious physical injury,[ rape, sodomy or kidnapping or serious physical injury through robbery, burglary or arson] or any forcible felony; . . .

·
Registered
166 Posts
Glad your ride didn't disappear. Probably a good thing that you didn't find yourself in a situation you would regret later (ass woopin or wooped ass). Never know what will catch someones eye. One year my weenie Dodge Carvan made the top ten most stolen list. Tomorrows another day. :character00268:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, and yep. The minute I grabbed a knife, I bit off more than I really wanted to chew. My wife has been giving me shit all day. She hears weird noises all the time and I say its nothing. My bike goes down, I go vigilante psycho. :character00271:

·
Registered
70 Posts
That would have gotten my blood boiling as well. And certainly your wise hindsight to this episode will prevent you doing anything stupid in the future should that happen again... a good lesson for us all, and thanks for sharing.

I so often forget about the risks/concerns that folks like you-all have to deal with. I am so fortunate and I sometimes forget. I bought my car new 9 years ago now, and have not only never locked my doors, but have never taken the keys out of the ignition. Likewise, I've had my KLR for 2 years now and have never taken the keys out of the ignition. But I live in a remote Alaskan town of 500 people, where everyone knows everyone, and there is one road... one end of it dead-ends at a fjord, and the other end leads into Canada where you have to clear Customs. So I suppose there is no incentive for anyone to do something as dumb as stealing a vehicle. Still, even if there were an "easy" way to do such a thing, I will never be able to understand that kind of thinking... and I'm a law enforcement officer.

Glad your property is alright, and even happier to know that no one got hurt.

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
What WOULD you do; you macho, macho man (apologies to, The Village People)?

And, what have you DONE, in similar circumstances?

Using deadly force with no threat of death or serious injury to the innocent comprises what's laughingly called, "murder," in most jurisdictions; what's the law where you live, planalp?

Extract from MO SB 62, 41:
No comment.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts