Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered another seat option for those who find the "hatchet" effect of the KLR seat less than appealing. Not sure about anyone else, but my mind will enjoy the ride as long as my butt is happy. When the butt runs out of happy, so does the ride. What I can tell you about this seat is a discovery, not an endorsement. Just information I'm passing along.

This seat looks to be built along the lines of the world famous Russell Day Long Saddle, of which I have bought four. I loved every one of them. I still have one on a Concours. The KLR I ride ain't gettin' a $600.00 saddle. That price is the only draw back to experiencing, one more time, the "pride of ownership" of one of the best motorcycle saddles made. This seat I found may serve the purpose without having to ebay a kidney.

I talked on the phone today with the man that sells these saddles. He is Terry Adcox, located in south-central Tennessee. This saddle business is a sideline to his cycle repair shop and franchised Kawasaki Dealership, Kawasaki of Tullahoma.

After we visited a bit, he emailed me some images of some of the work he has done on KLR 650's. He does seats for both Gen I and Gen II KLR 650's.

He requires you send him your seat pan. You might keep your original seat, and send him one you found on ebay.....throwing the stock seat back on when you sell or trade, allowing you to put your custom, broke in saddle onto your next KLR 650.

The features of the seat look good. Wide enough to spread out support. Pressure point "hot spots' are the biggest complaint most riders have, along with riding right on their tail bone. This style of seat relieves most of that.

I asked Mr. Adcox a few questions about custom work. His response: "I do a single bucket, a double bucket where the rear seat is a little bit small and a double where the seat size are the same.
I do different stitches and no stitches. I do custom work so if the customer wants something we will need to talk about what is needed. I also do other bike seat. from HD to BMW'S I can do most seats." "This seat keeps the narrow front for standing up but making the back wider for more street miles. I can do other modifications, lower, wider, and double bucket for passenger."

Seems accommodating. Even better than his willingness to work with you is the price. A single bucket, flat rear, starts at $225.00 plus $25.00 for shipping. He did say he had experience fitting the long legged riders further back and higher to buy some more leg room. Also knows how to help out the vertically challenged.

Mr. Adcox can be reached at:

Kawasaki of Tullahoma
216 W. Lincoln St.
Tullahoma, Tn 37388
931-455-0108

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
That's a sweet lookin' bun hugger.

For offroading I'd need to be able to slide back easily for downslopes
but other than that looks perfect for the Cheapster in the future.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
That's a sweet lookin' bun hugger.

For offroading I'd need to be able to slide back easily for downslopes
but other than that looks perfect for the Cheapster in the future.
But...sniff...what will happen to the wally world...to the wally world...I can't talk right now... :18:

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Been looking at the russle im very interested in this one will be looking for an other pan

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
This has got to be the funniest thread title ever.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
so lockjaw are you saying your back side has never said that?
lol:character00271:

·
Administrator
8,370 Posts
Let's see you wriggle your way out of this one....

T

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
so lockjaw are you saying your back side has never said that?
lol:character00271:
Well played sir! And no, it hasn't. My butt is like one of the guards at the Royal Palace in London. Never flinching. Always in control. Wears a big furry hat. :character00268:

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I think this guy is also selling the service on eBay. A guy at work sent on of the auctions to me and asked if I had heard of the service..

As a Russell rider I'm not in need of a seat, but as VA mentioned, when the butt get's uninterested in riding, the rest of the body follows shortly..

I'm interested in what others have found with his seat modification. I'm guessing he's doing a very nice job. For some reason the cover material looks sorta cheap, but how much can you tell about it from a photo?

Excellent info for those that aren't afraid of having an ugly (but comfortable) seat. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have to chime in real quick and mention that we have the Sargent seat for the KLR on sale for $314.95 (at the time of this post) with free shipping in the continental US.

Sargent World Sport Performance Seat for KLR650 91-10
http://www.bustersdirtshop.com/product.php?productid=8317&cat=78&page=1

I've never heard anyone with something negative to say about the comfort of this seat, and it would appear that the difference in cost is equivalent to filling your truck up with gas here in CA. No butt bucket issue for offroad either. Carry on...

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I figured I'd bump this to the top, since Double A contacted me for the link and info for the modified seat..

Well, for you purists that just gotta have the real thing, I had someone point this out to me:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15180978&postcount=13812

Hell-of-a-deal, if you are a looking to turn your pack mule into a long distance bike, and want to stay on friendly terms with your bottom end.

And just as a head's up, this one's gone... One of my co-workers now has this seat on his 2007...

I discovered another seat option for those who find the "hatchet" effect of the KLR seat less than appealing. Not sure about anyone else, but my mind will enjoy the ride as long as my butt is happy. When the butt runs out of happy, so does the ride. What I can tell you about this seat is a discovery, not an endorsement. Just information I'm passing along.

This seat looks to be built along the lines of the world famous Russell Day Long Saddle, of which I have bought four. I loved every one of them. I still have one on a Concours. The KLR I ride ain't gettin' a $600.00 saddle. That price is the only draw back to experiencing, one more time, the "pride of ownership" of one of the best motorcycle saddles made. This seat I found may serve the purpose without having to ebay a kidney.

I talked on the phone today with the man that sells these saddles. He is Terry Adcox, located in south-central Tennessee. This saddle business is a sideline to his cycle repair shop and franchised Kawasaki Dealership, Kawasaki of Tullahoma.

After we visited a bit, he emailed me some images of some of the work he has done on KLR 650's. He does seats for both Gen I and Gen II KLR 650's.

He requires you send him your seat pan. You might keep your original seat, and send him one you found on ebay.....throwing the stock seat back on when you sell or trade, allowing you to put your custom, broke in saddle onto your next KLR 650.

The features of the seat look good. Wide enough to spread out support. Pressure point "hot spots' are the biggest complaint most riders have, along with riding right on their tail bone. This style of seat relieves most of that.

I asked Mr. Adcox a few questions about custom work. His response: "I do a single bucket, a double bucket where the rear seat is a little bit small and a double where the seat size are the same.
I do different stitches and no stitches. I do custom work so if the customer wants something we will need to talk about what is needed. I also do other bike seat. from HD to BMW'S I can do most seats." "This seat keeps the narrow front for standing up but making the back wider for more street miles. I can do other modifications, lower, wider, and double bucket for passenger."

Seems accommodating. Even better than his willingness to work with you is the price. A single bucket, flat rear, starts at $225.00 plus $25.00 for shipping. He did say he had experience fitting the long legged riders further back and higher to buy some more leg room. Also knows how to help out the vertically challenged.

Mr. Adcox can be reached at:

Kawasaki of Tullahoma
216 W. Lincoln St.
Tullahoma, Tn 37388
931-455-0108

·
Registered
78 Posts
I saw one at a gas station and assumed it was a Russel. The guy told me it wasn't and he payed less than half for it. I guess he was correct. It looked like a very nice seat. I have also seen it mentioned in other forums with good reviews. It may have to go on the list.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have to chime in real quick and mention that we have the Sargent seat for the KLR on sale for $314.95 (at the time of this post) with free shipping in the continental US.

Sargent World Sport Performance Seat for KLR650 91-10
http://www.bustersdirtshop.com/product.php?productid=8317&cat=78&page=1

I've never heard anyone with something negative to say about the comfort of this seat, and it would appear that the difference in cost is equivalent to filling your truck up with gas here in CA. No butt bucket issue for offroad either. Carry on...
I have something negative to say about it. It isn't much better than stock for my rear. I wish that I had spent the 300 on mine towards the Russell

1 - 14 of 14 Posts