Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a KLR. I am real close to a 2010, but I just read that some dealer in Northern VA has new 2009s for a hair under $4K. If so, I may have to pay them a visit..or work it through my local dealer to get one.

I am looking at the used ones of all ages. It is amazing how few of these are up for sale at the moment. I am looking at an early 90s for $1200 to an '07 for $2800.

Is there any reason at all to go with the older line? I was told on another forum to go with the newer line for superior handling.

In any case, hello all!!!

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
The biggest differences between the two versions of the KLR are with the riders, not the bikes. Finding an old version rider patient enough to stop and wait for the new generation ride to catch up is the biggest problem I'm aware of.

EDIT: Welcome to the forum. I seem to have misplaced my social graces, something very important to have on a KLR forum. Worthy of note, our new member is a Virginian. Git cher self some wheels brother. Exciting things are about to happen just north of you. Stand by for developments.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do tell me what you are talking about. Are the older ones superior, or have they all just been modified that much. Remember, just because a rider is new to the KLR doesn't mean he is new to motorcycling. so, given two equal riders, is there much difference from the 87-07 and the 08 up?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
The biggest differences between the two versions of the KLR are with the riders, not the bikes. Finding an old version rider patient enough to stop and wait for the new generation ride to catch up is the biggest problem I'm aware of.
You've been awarded "Post Of The Day" with this little snippet..

I've kicked around taking up smoking, so I have something to do while waiting for Gen 2 riders.. :character00271:

efigalaxie,
VA and I are just messing with ya, and the Gen 2 riders.. There's very few differences between the bikes, and the differences are easily addressed with a few dollars and a couple hours, in either direction..

The Gen 2's are a bit more happy on the road, and the Gen 1's are a bit more happy off road, but not much in either direction..

Put it this way, find a deal you're happy with, and enjoy the bike.:character00286:
Do your investigation on what the bike's been through, how it's been maintained, and use your gut.. If you're buying a used bike, it's your biggest asset.. And this is from a guy who seldom buys new vehicles..

Oh, and my last car was a used vehicle that I bought in VA.. Good folks down there.. :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it is 'use my gut', I will be just fine. Got plenty O that!!! Or I could go get that used K1100lt and yawl wont be waiting no more!! :)

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
If it is 'use my gut', I will be just fine. Got plenty O that!!! Or I could go get that used K1100lt and yawl wont be waiting no more!! :)
We got you covered there, too. Like those guys who beat golf balls around in a pasture, we have more than one way of getting our balls where they need to be. Some of those "ways" are made in Germany, some in Japan, or the good 'ol USA.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Ewww... K1100LightTruck?? You could do so much better!!

And this is from a 25 year BMW owner, and former Wing rider.. :)

And again, I'm kidding.. The LT's have long been a solid bike with very few problems..
I'd love to own a nice used 1200GSA, but I don't trust the final drives..

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
Grab one! Most versatile bike ever! And, awesome support from these forums and the aftermarket :D

Cheers,
Stew

I mean grab a KLR, not the K1100... Lol

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had a K100LT and I test drove the K1100lt. So similar. The K100LT felt stronger right off idle, then at about 2000rpm something in the K1100LT wakes up and it would stomp the K100lt.

I test drove an '09 KLR and I was amazed at the bike. I took it up I-81 at 70mph, and round some back roads right around where I live. I was impressed. It corners very well, it is comfortable other than the seat being an issue for over 30 mile rides, and it had plenty of get up and go.

What was making me hesitate initially is that my wife and I both on there would be too much. So I was strongly leaning to the BMW and she started nitpicking the cosmetics because she knew i would be trying to fix every little broken thing on it. I looked up some of them on ebay and the plastic parts for a BMW aren't cheap. I then thought about how often she has ridden with me ever and figured screw it. I am going to get what feels best for me because she doesn't ride with me enough for it to matter. I would like her to learn to drive one, but she wont. Yet, she would do a scooter. I asked why and she said she wouldn't see the road beneath her as much. Jeez!! If she would ride with me, I would simply get two older KLRs for about 3k.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
As others here are aware, I just sold my Wing (2008 Premium Audio) for 2 reasons.. My fiance doesn't have time to ride with me because of her kids/dogs/small business and I don't like being behind a big windshield when it's warm out..

So, the Wing's gone..

And you're spot on with the difference between the K100 and K1100.. I hated the banging of my knees on the fairing on the 100, and the 4 valve 1100 is a great motor.. I've owned 3 K bikes and they're just not the engine for me.. I'm a single or twin guy.. :)

And yes, the stock seat doesn't work for many people.. I bought my 02' in the spring of 04' and it took 20 miles for me to start looking for a replacement seat.. Since I have a deep seated hatred for the Corbin corporation, (yeah, hatred, and that's saved for very very few) I found the Travelcade Gel seat very nice, and then got lucky and found a perfectly good used Russell Day Long seat..

As you may find out, the KLR is a great bike.. I, and many others find it as a base bike, and with time you may buy odds and ends and make the bike your own.. I'm thinking that I might have more money in farkles on my KLR than what the bike is worth..:)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why the hatred for Corbin? The one on the K100 I had was very comfortable? I have seen this dislike for them more than once. Do fill me in!

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Why the hatred for Corbin? The one on the K100 I had was very comfortable? I have seen this dislike for them more than once. Do fill me in!
I ordered a seat for a R100GS in November. I'd call every month, and every month I would be told it done and on it's way... A month later I'd call again.. Finally in May my seat arrived.. It fit terribly, and was uncomfortable.. A month later the piping started to fall out.. I called about sending it back to get it fixed and they wanted $150 with the seat to do the repairs, even though the seat was only a month old.

After several phone calls to try to get it fixed, I had a local shop fix it for $20.. I sent a letter to Mike Corbin, explaining what went on and how I wasn't a happy customer.. I got a letter back from Mike's brother, telling me that it was tough crap..

So, I've made one of my minor life goals to make everyone aware of just how bad Corbin's customer service is.. On top of that, the seats are barely better than stock.. For the same money you can get a Sargent seat that's actually comfortable, and they'll stand behind it, and appreciate your business..

I sat on a dished Corbin for 20 minutes while swapping bikes, and it was a torture device.. I'd have rather sat on the rear fender.. And yes, BMW riders are known far and wide for hating Corbin for quality issues..

That said, I have a old, well used one on my BMW R80... I tore the tag off of it because I refuse to advertise for them.. I bought the seat over 15 years after it was made, so none of my money went to Corbin.. And none ever will..:)

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Mid Atlantic riders might invest a dime and some time, and call Angel @ 703-583-9600.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am looking for a KLR. I am real close to a 2010, but I just read that some dealer in Northern VA has new 2009s for a hair under $4K. If so, I may have to pay them a visit..or work it through my local dealer to get one.

I am looking at the used ones of all ages. It is amazing how few of these are up for sale at the moment. I am looking at an early 90s for $1200 to an '07 for $2800.

Is there any reason at all to go with the older line? I was told on another forum to go with the newer line for superior handling.

In any case, hello all!!!
Congrats on your soon to be new purchase, and welcome to the forums. I picked up a brand new 09, for the same price you mentioned. Very happy with my purchase! At any rate, congrats!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I called Angel. They are out of 2009s. Looks like the local dealership is right there on the 10s and 11s.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As posted, I got a new 2010 and worked a bunch of Farkles and such into the deal. I will take possession of the bike either the end of next week or mid week after. The fat boy needs to lose a third of himself to get to half the load capacity of the poor bike!!

Paper,
Followed your advice and that of the parts man at my dealership...got the Sargent seat.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It was interesting, the guys at the dealership were really going over the setup that I specified for this bike. (see my other thread on it.) The only truly major thing I want is a better shock and springs, but the '08 I test drove seemed ok with stock pieces, so I am not too worried right now.

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
I'd say wise move on the Sargent as well, I haven't heard any complaints on them. I had a Corbin Dual Platform for a short time, worst seat I've ever ridden. It was hard as a rock and ran your jewels into the tank every time you slowed down... Very very uncomfortable! Grats on the new bike, please post some pics of it when you take delivery, we love pics!

Cheers,
Stew

1 - 20 of 22 Posts