Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I ended up buying a set of Progressive fork springs. The more I read though, I'm beginning to wonder if I should bother installing them?

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
I ended up buying a set of Progressive fork springs. The more I read though, I'm beginning to wonder if I should bother installing them?
The Progressive Suspension springs are Quite a bit better than the OEM springs.
I'll suggest that you should change the fork oil, follow the guide lines for spring spacer lengths and ride the heck out of it!

If you are truely dis-satisfied with the set-up, try the next option.

Most 'Tuning', either carburetor or suspension is by "trial & error"!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Got it! I've removed and drained both forks, cut spacers to size and am awaiting oil via mail. One question, why is there no availability of air fork caps for KLR's? I've had them on many bikes, large and small.

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
The Gen 1 bikes had fork air valves as standard equipment, but the more air pressure one puts in the tighter the seals grip the legs. This is currently referred to as 'stiction'. So stiffer springs with proper preload spacers has always been the proper way to go.

But you could drill your caps and build your own air adjustable caps. ;)

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
But you could drill your caps and build your own air adjustable caps. ;)

My PO did that. I’m replacing them with Cogent adjustable caps. So if anyone wants them I’ll swap them for a stock set. I want to be able to return my KLR to stock should I ever need to. Not that I expect to do so.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
All reassembled. There was the proper amount of fork oil removed, (good sign). What color is the factory fork oil? Definitely a noticeable difference in the feel just sitting in the shop! Hoping for decent weather this weekend for a good run. I'll hold off on any other changes for a while and see how she handles. After reading on here on many threads, I am amazed on how many people will ride a KLR long distances. After having more than 1 bike over 1000cc's, I can't imagine riding this 650 like some have commented, but that's just me. I kinda like having enough umph to be able to drop it a gear AT freeway speeds to pass or evade.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I kinda like having enough umph to be able to drop it a gear AT freeway speeds to pass or evade.
Moving to the KLr from a literbike/sport bike you do indeed lose the ability to bend time and space. But, in the trade you get abilities you didnt have before. I avoid the interstate like the plague. As far as passing, you get to use use your skills and racecraft to plan it all out rather than just twisting the throttle. You have to ride the bike :8: I was forced off sportbikes due to health. I have my sorted first gen Klr and a Versys 300 and travel as much and have as much fun as before, just differently. Its all good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I still have the Concours if I do want to have some fun. I ended up getting the Eagle Mike subframe 1 piece bolt kit. It looks to me as a weak point that should be addressed. Any special points on the install?

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
Plenty of cutting fluid & a shop vac. I've never drilled one, but that is a lot of metal. So probably keep the drill speed low and rest often.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Yep, take it easy and step drill it. Different years have different amounts of solid metal to drill through; my 2001 was "solid all the way through" and took some doing; cutting oil and stepping up gradually worked but I'm not going to lie, a bit of a PITA.

Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Finally took it out for a test run with the new front springs, WOW! Noticeable difference, took bumps much better than stock.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts