Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After mush research and WANTING, I plan on getting a new KLR in the very near future (possibly this weekend). I'm a former Triumpg Tiger 1050 rider and looking for some dual sport adventure (nothing much rougher than well maintained forest service roads). Several dealers in the WA State area have some left over '12s, with some Kawasaki rebates in effect until 3/31.

I have not dome any negotiating, but I have asked for their OTD price. I was quoted $7050, $6800 and $6850 from three different dealers. What's a low end offer I can shoot for a stock bike? Or should I should for a higher price and request luggage, extended warranty, etc??

Looking forward to this!

- Michael

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
for a new bike leftover i would say 6k or give them the option like you said of thier asking price with some goodies thrown in, however, that being said there are plenty of good used klr's out there. but if you want to buy new thats up to you.

·
Banned
277 Posts
I just bought a nice '09 with lots of upgrades for $3600 and low miles if it helps your negotiation. It should help you be ready to walk out the door of you don't get what you want.
Also, get a counter offer on the (fortunately cheaper) competitor 650DR. Tell them that's your budget, and you've got an option. Make them bend. Absolutely be ready to walk, and if you do, don't return for over a week. The bikes will still be there, so will their memory. Play hard.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
901 Posts
I got my 2012 last September for $6500 OTD. Was that a "good price"? In my eyes, yes - but I'm sure there are others out there who would disagree. And that's their prerogative.

As for me, I'm just glad I got the bike I wanted - in the color scheme I wanted.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
my 09 was bought in 10 it was 6200 otd registered plated and all that jazz, but buying a 12 when the 14's are going to be coming out i wouldnt pay what they are asking for.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

If you are a Costco member you can call different dealerships and ask if they participate in the Costco deal. A friend of mine here in Oregon just bought a new KLR and got a Costco gift for $250.00 and then also upwards of $500.00 off the MSRP.
I bought mine in December and wasn't aware of the deal so I paid $6500.00 out the door with klr bags and a helmet thrown in.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Welcome to the site....I always tell people, pay what you are comforatbale with paying and do not tell us......you will always be told by some arsewipe you got screwed. If you are happy, you didn't get screwed.
As for add ins etc....do not buy or accept the extended warrantee as it's not worth the paper it's written on. IMHO, and that is all it is, my opinion. The KLR is a simple bike to work on and very little ever goes wrong with it and if it does there are many sites similar to this one which do nothing but try and help you get it fixed. If you can't work on it yourself there are also many people like me who charge next to nothing to do the work for you, so even doing simple work or warrantee servicing isn't necessary to go to the dealer to give them more of your hard earned cash.
Grab a beverage and use the search function and learn all you can about the bike and you local area for like minded folks.
Now make the best deal for you and keep quiet....just enjoy your new baby!

Buy crash bars and get yourself some gear to protect your skin too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
6k is probably pretty good. I just bought a left over red '12 for $5700 plus $285 sales tax. Lots better than $6500 for a new '13 than around $6800 OTD. I do like the new green color though. This is my second KLR. You'll have fun with the bike. Just be careful. Blessings B

·
Registered
32 Posts
Agreed. It's a great bike regardless of shaving a couple if hundred in the price here and there. I'm loving mine more and more while learning its idiosyncrasies during the break in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts