Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
A spark arrestor is supposed to protect the environment. We just had a rather large forest fire which was believed to be caused by quaders with modified exhaust systems.

Hopefully the authorities have more important things to do then check for spark arrestors.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I completely understand why they are on the bikes, just wondering if it has ever been an issue for anyone. None of my bikes have had them left in place and I have not seen a spark come from an exhaust since the early '80's. On the other hand my head pipe will glow red and easily start a fire, so....
me me me me me me me oops a burnt forest me me me me me me

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Ok, great. Thanks! Glad to see someone had the answer to the question I posed. :41:How about some ideas as to how to stop the head pipe from glowing red there tomatocity. And just to be clear, I have never been to ANY forest with the bikes. Just asking if it would be an issue. Not off-road but on-road through the parks.
If the head pipe is glowing red hen you are way too lean and you need to richen the air fuel mixture. Lean can be caused by not enough back pressure or too much flow. Reinstall the spark arrestor and see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
"FYI I have had my muffler checked for a spark arrester by a ranger before."

What was the outcome?

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Turned the screw out 3 turns and can smell the unburnt fuel yet the head pipe still glows red at the bend in the front. Floods very easy too. I have also done the .22 mod and drilled the air box. Could it be living between 5-7k rpm causing this? And if so what other options have I got to keep the head pipe from glowing?
If it was lean enough to glow the head pipe before you made the changes:
Turning the screw out 3 turns will help off idle and on deceleration to stop the lean condition popping.
Not sure how much you raised the needle but that helps more on early throttle and not as much at WOT.
Drilling the airbox will only cause lean in all throttle positions.

If it was me I would...
...tape up the airbox and see if that helps.
...adjust the idlejet between 1.75-2.25 turns.
...make sure the head pipe was seated correctly and not leaking. If it leaks it usually is on the bottom and you should be able to see exhaust marks.
...if you are consistantly running between 5000-7000 RPMs you might need to increase the main jet. If so you might consider changing to a KLX (OEM) or Dynojet (aftermarket) needle and jet.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
MetalBender

Is your bike a +08? Reason I ask is the headers are different than the older models. If so, '08 in stock trim glowed the pipe red. No change after the 22 cent mod either. On other KLR forums this is considered normal. Not saying it's right, just is.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
'08s also have an air pump which can cause more of a lean condition.

Make sure every exhaust connection is tight.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
'08s also have an air pump which can cause more of a lean condition.

Make sure every exhaust connection is tight.
Right, fresh air is introduced into the exhaust to reduce NOX emissions. Most single wall headers will glow in low light conditions even if the AFR is correct.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just to add my 02 cents. Checked the valve clearance and changed the plug with oem on my 09. Test run in low light condition found header glowing after idling a few. Bike runs fine and the pipe cools once moving.
I find this disturbing as I ride in tall dry grass on occasion.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Just to add my 02 cents. Checked the valve clearance and changed the plug with oem on my 09. Test run in low light condition found header glowing after idling a few. Bike runs fine and the pipe cools once moving.
I find this disturbing as I ride in tall dry grass on occasion.
After polling many sources I discovered this is common with many four cycle single cylinder motorcycles. This condition happens during idle or off throttle so there should be much concern about fires. Plus fires usually are started by a spark from the tailpipe.

My question is how long can one of these engines idle before damage?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tim, a bit off topic but I see you have a 685. at 10k my 09 is using a lot of oil. I am thinking 685 and wondering if you have some one in the area to do the bore.
Thanks, Robert. P.S I am in Tracy.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Tim, a bit off topic but I see you have a 685. at 10k my 09 is using a lot of oil. I am thinking 685 and wondering if you have some one in the area to do the bore.
Thanks, Robert. P.S I am in Tracy.
Robert your best bet is to contact EagleMike. Mike has good (proven) people that can do the work correctly and you can purchase everything you need through him.

Decide what you want to do before you get to far. How much KLR down time do you have? Do you want to have your cylinder bored or do you want to buy another cylinder and have it bored? This would be done by the shop that will fit the piston to the cylinder.
Buying the cylinder will save on downtime. You can always sell your cylinder afterwards or trade the shop boring the cylinder.
Another decision is the compression you will be using. You will get a .010 and .020 base gasket so you have a choice of...
... .010 High
... .020 Stock
... .030 Low
Most people choose Stock.

The down time provides time to do any of these projects...
...carburetor mod - KLX needle with 142.5 main jet
...right side clean out
...replace the Doo or Doo spring
...lube the swingarm
...ugrade the forks
...electical project(s)
...PCV mod
...fill the battery and clean the battery box
...???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tim, I did the 22 cent, EM Doo. I run the bike hard on commute and need to get the oil use down. Down time is not an issue as I have other bikes. I am out of the loop, but a cylinder bore used to take about an hour.
I am not familiar with the right side clean up but appreciate your time on this project.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Robert,
I was just re-reading this thread and caught the last message. The pressure on the seals if any will be a slight vaccuum. They won't blow out and puke oil. Never read about that happening to anyone doing the PCV.

In my spare time I.E.: Waking up and having the morning coffee, I read this site just for pleasure reading and over time will have my bike and this entire site memorized.
Just a personality quirk, but a beneficial one,
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaap

P.S. Doing this with the service manual and my Holy Bible too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts