Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My owner's manual recommends periodic removal of the round plate on the end of the exhaust and a brushing to clean the spark arrestor of carbon. I removed the three hex head screws on the back of the circular plate and it is as though the plate were welded on. Nothing short of the utilization of plastic explosives seems to free it. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
2002 KLR 650
59 Posts
Block of hardwood and a hammer. Bang on the flange. Took mine out. Instead of putt putt putt, it goes PUTT PUTT PUTT. Not exactly a sweet tone. New muffler in your stocking this year ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Block of hardwood and a hammer. Bang on the flange. Took mine out. Instead of putt putt putt, it goes PUTT PUTT PUTT. Not exactly a sweet tone. New muffler in your stocking this year ?
Thank you Tomo. I really dislike loud pipes. Yet, I do like a beefy sound. I heard bikes with FMF Powercore pipes, Dominator, et al, and they are way too loud for me. I'm not looking for big volume, but I would like to hear some beef. It sounds like a 200 cc... I have been hammering but not wanting to hurt the flat black paint of the muffler or the center exhaust pipe. I have tried super thin screwdrivers etc., and nothing seems to work... Any ideas??

Anyone else?

·
Registered
2002 KLR 650
59 Posts
I didn't like the way mine sounded either. Had the notorious Gen 1 "tweet". Following others before me, I tapped a 1"? wooden dowel into the exhaust pipe,used a 1-1/2" holesaw and drilled out the stock spark arrestor. Took a little twisting and turning to break the inner tack welds. Bought a generic spark arrestor and a electrical conduit adapter ring, drilled three hole and installed it with sheet metal screws. Sounds way better and easy to take apart. My arrestor has been in for 6K miles. Cleaned it once. Looked the same before and after.
I assume you have a gen 2, but should work the same. Tom.
Amazon.com: Yoshimura Spark Arrestor Kit TEC-SB-B : Automotive
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive wheel system Gas
Tool Nickel Household hardware Gas Rim

·
Registered
2002 KLR 650
59 Posts
Like you, I don't like a loud pipe. This mod just improves the tone. A little deeper. Doesn't make it louder. If you take the spark arrestor out, Tone stays the same, a tad louder. I wanted a spark arrestor in for forest riding. It's required and really don't want to start a fire.

·
Administrator
4,017 Posts
What @pdwestman said, leave it alone. Don’t know why Kawasaki changed the end of the muffler. I think my Gen 1 manual recommends removing the plugs occasionally. I tried that when I bought my bike with 3000 km on it. Sheared the head off the first one I tried. Left the other alone.

Reactions: Torquey and tomo

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like you, I don't like a loud pipe. This mod just improves the tone. A little deeper. Doesn't make it louder. If you take the spark arrestor out, Tone stays the same, a tad louder. I wanted a spark arrestor in for forest riding. It's required and really don't want to start a fire.
1. Hi and thanks again Tomo. This thing is new; it's a 2022 and has a different can. Yet, the owner's manual just says to unscrew the 3 screws and remove the spark arrestor. Just cannot figure out how!
2. This bike is essentially used for street riding as there is precious little area around me to do otherwise. If I get to the woods, I will DEFINITELY have the arrestor in, as I am not into starting forest fires, either deliberately or accidentally!!

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
I haven't seen a '22 silencer but it wouldn't be the first time the Owner's Manual was wrong........on prior years, the screws/plugs are supposedly to be removed to allow you to take carbon out.....the reality is that you will never accomplish anything by removing them other than breaking off the heads. Personally, I'd leave it alone or replace it with a good silencer (like a LeoVince X3) and still leave the stock one alone. LOL

Dave

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't seen a '22 silencer but it wouldn't be the first time the Owner's Manual was wrong........on prior years, the screws/plugs are supposedly to be removed to allow you to take carbon out.....the reality is that you will never accomplish anything by removing them other than breaking off the heads. Personally, I'd leave it alone or replace it with a good silencer (like a LeoVince X3) and still leave the stock one alone. LOL

Dave
Bingo, D. Right on target. 🎯 I like the LeoVince but actually prefer the look of the round (as opposed to Oval) black stock one with the more military look which suits the Adventure model. It's just that the stock pipe really needs a tracheotomy...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts