Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time changing my spark plug. Got out the stock toolkit. Spark plug wrench is not the correct size, is a 12 and the plug seems to be a 18. Anyone ele seen the same with their toolkit?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Sorry man, I think my stock kit is in its little holder under my trunk. I don't think I ever used it for anything.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Tools

I've not had to change my 2011's plug yet, but the first thing I did when getting my bike, was to go over all fasteners to get familiar with the bike.
I had a pad and pen, and made a list of all sizes needed for general take down, and maintenance.
Went to local discount tool shop, and bought whatever I couldn't scrounge from my existing tool supply.

Found an old leather handlebar pouch, and put everything in it. Now when doing anything to bike, I try to use that tool kit.

Here’s a list of what I put together… http://www.powers31.info/2011_KLR650.htm
( Scroll down to just below second pix. )

Note: some items may have been changed or added since this list was made. Been intending to recheck the list, but you get the idea.

Don’t know about your OEM tool kit, but I didn’t find much in it that I could use.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
First time changing my spark plug. Got out the stock toolkit. Spark plug wrench is not the correct size, is a 12 and the plug seems to be a 18. Anyone ele seen the same with their toolkit?
AFAIK, a thin-walled 18 mm deep socket fits the OEM spark plug, as in the CORRECT socket in the stock tool kit.

I think a substitute 5/8" hex spark plug is available, as mentioned on that website with everything you always wanted to know but were afraid to ask about the KLR650.

http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html

·
Registered
376 Posts
AFAIK, a thin-walled 18 mm deep socket fits the OEM spark plug, as in the CORRECT socket in the stock tool kit.
When I first went to change it, I found my socket didn't fit. So I bought another one. That one didn't fit, either. It was then that I realized that spark plugs came in a multitude of sizes and I looked it up. :)

I just bought one at Ace Hardware (I think), and it's thin enough to fit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My Snap-On spark plug socket which worked fine on my 2008 doesn't work on my 2013. It doesn't fit down into the spark plug well. There isn't enough clearance in the head material. The tool kit socket does fit however.

Ron

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After replacing the spark plug should I be able to start it with the tank still off or does the tank have to be on for it to start. It is just turning over with the tank off. I thought there should be enough gas to at least start it for a few seconds.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After replacing the spark plug should I be able to start it with the tank still off or does the tank have to be on for it to start. It is just turning over with the tank off. I thought there should be enough gas to at least start it for a few seconds.
Nevermind.... I put the tank back on and it is starting like a champ.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts