Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what mileage are you getting out of your spark plugs?
are you using something other than the stock plug?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
NGK plugs. I've replaced mine twice and have a little over 20K miles on the bike. Don't get the iridium. Just the nice cheapo NGK. :)

I went iridium once and was underwhelmed.

·
Registered
269 Posts
i figure when you check your valves is a good time to change the plug. pretty sure i used a regular NGK too

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I changed out the OEM plug at around 15K miles, still looked good. I replaced it with a regular NGK. Changed that one out at about 35K, still looked good.

Spark plugs last a long time these days. If there's no visable electrode wear it's good to go.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree with Spec, the KLR is easy on plugs. My previous bike (a non-KLR so I won't quote a miles-per-plug number to confuse the issue) did seem to need a plug much more frequently. On my KLR, I tend to replace them about every 16-20 K and they always look good and the bike was still running just fine.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I've been replacing mine at 10K, and it's only because I have the tank off and am doing a full service to the bike anyway.. Truthfully, the plug at 10K looks darned close to new..

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've been replacing mine at 10K, and it's only because I have the tank off and am doing a full service to the bike anyway.. Truthfully, the plug at 10K looks darned close to new..
I agree........just did mine at 10K since I was doing the 22 cent mod. Plug looked good and ran the same after the change. Used an OEM NGK.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I just put a E3 "E3.36 plug number" in my bike. I have done a bit of reading on it so decided to give it ago. I will let you know how it works out if the snow ever stops. It's April 27th and we are getting a huge snow storm right now... Grrr. But otherwise I was just running the good old NGK plugs and they were great.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

1 - 8 of 8 Posts