Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When should the spark plug be replaced? If its working fine should i mess with it? Should i get Platinum? Really, whats the difference? I dont read too much about this subject but im considering this since i will be doing some P.M. on my bike soon.

Thanks guys....

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I replace em' at 10K.. The last one I did was fine, but if you go throught effort to get to the plug, just change it..

I've heard of people having problems with expensive plugs. The KLR isn't the height of technology, and the factory plug isn't, either.. Just spend the $3 for the one the factory calls out for.. Then, in 10K, throw it away and spend another $3.. :)

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I replace em' at 10K.. The last one I did was fine, but if you go throught effort to get to the plug, just change it..

I've heard of people having problems with expensive plugs. The KLR isn't the height of technology, and the factory plug isn't, either.. Just spend the $3 for the one the factory calls out for.. Then, in 10K, throw it away and spend another $3.. :)
Thats the plug I go with...factory. But go out on a limb and buy two. One for the tool bag. Only assurance that you will never need it.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Thats the plug I go with...factory. But go out on a limb and buy two. One for the tool bag. Only assurance that you will never need it.
Always flashing money around... I buy TWO spark plugs.. So there, paper...

:character00271:

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Always flashing money around... I buy TWO spark plugs.. So there, paper...

:character00271:
I know. Sometimes my extravagance embarrasses me. My only saving grace is that I have about 26,000 miles on the plug in the bike now.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I aint changin it after all............... but i will carry a spare if someone can front me the cash......?.... thats funny!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck borrowing money from a KLR rider. Thou shalt easier squeeze blood from a rock....

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
AutoZone Champion equivalent. I dunno the number yet.......only at 5k on my '09.

I like Champs because they are generic priced but are as good as any brand-name plug.
(Or better. The high grade steel electrodes wear forever.)

Scream,
to answer another question: More than a few members here have found thru direct
experience that platinum and iridium, splitfire, etc. are a waste of money and often
don't have the right resistance/ conductivity to match the new-generation ignition
systems. It has resulted in misfires, faltering/ farting at steady cruise, and loss of
performance and fuel economy. The general consesus at KLR Forum since I joined
seems to be that of just using a quality stock replacement sparker and be done with it.

"Thou shalt easier squeeze blood from a rock?" LOL The Cheapster is in very good company here.........
(I'm gonna go read the neighbor's paper now before he gets home.)

Ride safe and often,
CheapMark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts