Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Gen 3
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My tool kit does not have a spark plug wrench. Is it missing or did it not come with one? I checked the parts fiche and didn't see one listed. Thanks!

· Registered
2022 KLR 650 Pearl Sand Khaki
139 Posts
My tool kit does not have a spark plug wrench. Is it missing or did it not come with one? I checked the parts fiche and didn't see one listed. Thanks!
Didn't come with one. It's just a regular 18 mm spark plug socket. I'm sure you got a few in your garage, lol. If not, they are a few bucks on ebay.

· Premium Member
2002 gen 1 street-ized commuter special--Flatland Flyer--
136 Posts
or... your friendly local auto parts store on the corner.....no freight there.... my 3/8drive 18mm craftsman sparkplug socket fits in the well perfectly no grinding needed but its easier to make the angle work with a 1/4 reducer and 1/4 ratchet and extension...

· Premium Member
12,048 Posts
LOL - that looks like the same wrench that came with my Kawasaki S3 I bought in 1975. I still have one of the open end wrenches. 400CC of screaming 9,000 RPM three cylinder two cycle fun that was.
Yup, basically unchanged forever.
Except that the KH400 used 13/16" hex spark plugs and the KLR650 uses 18mm hex spark plugs.

· Premium Member
2022 KLR Adventure
522 Posts
Except that the KH400 used 13/16" hex spark plugs and the KLR650 uses 18mm hex spark plugs.
And that’s why I said “basically”. Hex size, length, etc are variations.

A lot of that older stuff had 13/16 hex(B8ES comes to mind). More Americana, even though foreign built, that has faded away. I don’t have much experience with Harleys but I wouldn’t be surprised if they have even morphed to metric by now.

· Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Gen 3
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
None of my 18mm deepwell sockets (3/8"or 1/2") would fit, too thick. I ended up using the spark plug wrench out of my BMWs tool kit to remove the plug. Need to find a thin walled one to toss into the kit I guess. Thanks guys!

Regards, Jim.

· Premium Member
12,048 Posts
Grind off the outer diameter of an existing 18mm deepwell socket, about 1/4 inch of relieved area is all that is needed.
It will still be plenty strong enough for spark plugs.

I bevel the thin oem tool kit spark plug sockets to reduce snagging in the plug pockets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts