Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Finally getting around to some projects. I noticed what I thought my brake light not working, but it turns out it is not shutting off, and discovered it is do to the rear brake switch thing is not retracting the plunger/pin back all the way to signal the light to turn off. Curious if there is
something to fix this, or is this needing replacement?
The second thing is my speedometer hasn’t been working, so I disconnected the cable at the wheel, to discover the cable was broke a couple inches up. Any recommendations as to the best place to purchase a new cable? Anything I need to know about replacing?

Thank you,

Grady

Photo of what I am calling the brake light switch.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim

Photo of broken piece of cable that came out the end when I unscrewed at the wheel.
Eyebrow Finger Chest Knee Wood

·
Premium Member
10,777 Posts
17mm open-end wrench to adjust the plastic nut UP as you hold the main body of the brake light switch with your fingers.

Your local Kawasaki dealership for an oem speedometer cable or any brand dealership for an aftermarket cable.

Reactions: Br549rick

·
Administrator
4,371 Posts
Motion Pro makes a decent Speedo cable.

Reactions: Br549rick

·
Premium Member
10,777 Posts
Yes that is the standard routing on the Gen 2 bikes. If one disengages it from the loop one will have to Shorten & rebend the spring.
We don't know WHY they bothered doing that spring bracket, because they don't make a kickstarter kit to the Gen 2 bikes. And to convert to very early Gen 1 parts is nearly impossible & expensive to find all the parts required.

Reactions: Pig685

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the tips and suggestions. I got a motion pro cable. Should I replace the sheath and all, or just put the remove the old cable and put the new one in the old sheath? Also, I'm overwhelmed on what to do for greasing the cable, seems like there are many options. I don't have anything, so will be making a run to the auto parts store, so what do you recommend?

For the brake light switch, I could not get plastic nut to turn as I could not get enough room to turn the wrench, but was able to turn the body, which did the same thing, though twisting the wires, so I hope to spend some time doing the correct way.
Plan to have this done this afternoon.

Completely unrelated and not really a question. Debating selling afterwards. I don't ride it other than to keep the fuel fresh and battery charged, and am moving, but then working on it and searching other things, keeps me second guessing. My wife and I are moving to Montana where there would be more riding, but I don't see myself taking advantage of it anytime soon. We are expecting our first child in October, buying a house that needs some love, so thinking I can revisit having a bike to explore with later down the road. While debating this, a neighbor randomly asked me if I would consider selling the bike. Not sure their budget or expectations, but interesting timing. Moving in a week so have to decide quickly lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts