Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I have a 2012 with a strange problem. The old speedometer cable broke after a tire change. the speedo hub slipped down and cause enough friction from being oriented around 5pm to break the cable. Oops on me. Bought a new cable, lubed it with additional cable lube, installed it, and it works, but wobbles back and forth starting around 50mph about 1mph up and down pretty fast, probably 5x a second. Sometimes it fixes it self and calms down, but other times it is especially bad. These seems cosmetic in nature, but I would like it to work as it should. Thoughts on how to fix it?
Vehicle Speedometer Car Steering part Motor vehicle

·
Registered
324 Posts
Is the washer that engages the gear on the hub at the wheel flat?
If not smash it flat.
The spiral cut gear in the housing that the cable turns has a small washer it rides on, if the washer wears out the spiral gear will dig into the housing and lock up.
Check the housing and make sure it is well lubed.
In my 130,000 miles I’ve ruined 2 hubs from the spiral gear locking up.
I could have bought some warp9s with the money I’ve wasted replacing front wheels.
My needle was bouncing right before it locked up.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
I'll suggest that you should read this thread & note my comments in post #'s 4, 11 &12.

I like to install the Gen 2 speedo drives with the cable exiting near 9:00 position to get rid of the stupid 'S' bend of cable, which gets even worse as the suspension compresses.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll suggest that you should read this thread & note my comments in post #'s 4, 11 &12.

I like to install the Gen 2 speedo drives with the cable exiting near 9:00 position to get rid of the stupid 'S' bend of cable, which gets even worse as the suspension compresses.
thanks for the reference, I swear I did search first but couldn't find this. If this continues to act up I'll take this approach and take it all apart with the roll pin too, but hopefully the grease solution will work first we'll see. The parts don't appear to be worn down after taking it partially apart.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the washer that engages the gear on the hub at the wheel flat?
If not smash it flat.
The spiral cut gear in the housing that the cable turns has a small washer it rides on, if the washer wears out the spiral gear will dig into the housing and lock up.
Check the housing and make sure it is well lubed.
In my 130,000 miles I’ve ruined 2 hubs from the spiral gear locking up.
I could have bought some warp9s with the money I’ve wasted replacing front wheels.
My needle was bouncing right before it locked up.
The hub needed a bit more lube so I added some but it appears the washer was flat. hopefully that fixed it.We will see thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Any chance that the speedometer has dust inside of it? Dust between the spinning magnet & the needle cup can cause needle fluctuation.

·
Registered
67 Posts
No mention of lubing the cable. The housing has a wonderful ability at sucking moisture in and rusting the cable. Riding on warm wet/humid mornings after pulling the bike out of a cold garage condenses water every where.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Bought a new cable, lubed it with additional cable lube, installed it, and it works, but wobbles back and forth
No mention of lubing the cable. The housing has a wonderful ability at sucking moisture in and rusting the cable. Riding on warm wet/humid mornings after pulling the bike out of a cold garage condenses water every where.
DNO,
I believe that you are incorrect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts