Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a speedometer that shows you're travelling faster than you actually are result in an odometer reading that shows you've travelled a lesser distance than you actually have?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I am so tired. It made my head hurt to even read that. :)

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Typically, every speedo that I've owned that reads fast, is still geared correctly for miles.. My KLR reads 4-5mph fast at 60, but is only off less than 2 miles for every 100 recorded.. Can't remember which way, though.. Been a while since I checked.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Does a speedometer that shows you're travelling faster than you actually are result in an odometer reading that shows you've travelled a lesser distance than you actually have?
Pretty sure that legally the odometer has to accurate.

The odometer is directly driven, gear in hub to gear on odo by cable. The speedo has a magnetic cup type deal that has a pickup off the odo.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
My speedo is out, the odometer is bang on, but I like the way the question is worded.

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the answers, guys. I rode the KLR the same route to work that I usually take in my vehicle: 30 miles down the Interstate. I've measured it a couple of times in the Tacoma and it's always 32 miles. On the KLR, the exact same route was 31, but common sense should tell me that it might have just been getting ready to flip over to 32.

I wasn't sure of how the speedometer/odometer mechanism worked, but should have guessed that government regulations wouldn't allow an odometer (at least with factory-spec tires) to be off as much as some speedometers are.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Just reread the original Q. I feel like we just got SAT scores back and everyone is going to college and I'm destined to be the rat killer at the scrapyard. :)

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
It's the whole "time warp flatulencebender" phenomenon that you are experiencing. Very common occurrence, especially in northwestern Missouri.

Seriously, had to read that one three times!

My 09 speedo seems to show ~ 5mph faster than the Speed Wave radar boards read. Haven't correlated it to the odometer.

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's the whole "time warp flatulencebender" phenomenon that you are experiencing. Very common occurrence, especially in northwestern Missouri.

Seriously, had to read that one three times!

My 09 speedo seems to show ~ 5mph faster than the Speed Wave radar boards read. Haven't correlated it to the odometer.
I don't have a GPS, but would say, based on my daily interaction with the traffic flow on the Interstate while driving, the KLR's speedometer is probably about 5-10% off, so if I'm riding on the Interstate, I usually run around 80+ MPHIGS (Miles Per Hour Indicated Ground Speed) to flow with the traffic and keep my distance from semis.

If I run 70 or 75 on the KLR, I get a lot more people passing me. If I run about 80, no trucks, but maybe a few cars will pass me and I rarely have to pass anybody else. Speed limit's 70 here.

Therefore, I don't ride on the Interstate at those speeds any more than I have to because I'm well over 5K on the tach and even though it's supposedly okay, I really don't like doing that as it seems like the engine is just screaming, even with earplugs in. Just personal preference; not saying it shouldn't be done.

If I wanted to regularly maintain those speeds on the slab, I would have gotten something besides a KLR. Give me a KLR and a two-lane road and 60-65 or so with the engine just humming along and life is the way it should be, at least in my book. Fortunately, I can get all the way to work and back on roads like that.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
If I wanted to regularly maintain those speeds on the slab, I would have gotten something besides a KLR. Give me a KLR and a two-lane road and 60-65 or so with the engine just humming along and life is the way it should be, at least in my book. Fortunately, I can get all the way to work and back on roads like that.
Amen brother!

·
Registered
65 Posts
stock ODO verse GPS

ODO is only as accurate as the tire diameter
as it wears and gets smaller it will revolve more times per mile
changed out the front tire a few days ago
so
checked the ODO against a GPS
134.5 on the ODO = 132.85 on the GPS
1.65 mile difference or about 1% accuracy