Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

161 - 180 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Been looking for an appropriate tent and sleeping bag for a while, but I'm terribly cheap! (Hey, I'm a KLRista, Brother!)

Anyway, I'm out of time for internet deals, so I saw this smallish tent at a swap meet this morning. Looked like it had never been taken out of the stuff sack. For $7, I decided to gamble. Hey, it's only 2 nights!

Got home, opened it up, and found a child sized tent with Mickey Mouse and Pluto emblazoned on the sides, following bear tracks. Not one to be deterred easily, I climbed in to see how I fit. At a diagonal, it's just big enough. So, no laughing (too hard) when I set up in my Disney tent that first night!~

I took some photos, but had a system crash a couple weeks ago, and so far the only things I can't get to work are Photobucket and Tinypic, the two programs I use to get IMG files for posting!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
That is awesome

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Hmmm....Same mistake I made last summer but I didn't get the cartoon version!. I bought what I thought was a small one MAN tent on the way out of town on a trip. I should have read the package better!!
I also got wet from condensation from my breath due to the poor ventilation. No screen window or door to let air circulate.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Not really sure how I would pull this off, but if Cliffmeister wants a solo tent...

I could get this one down there somehow and let him use it.

It's about 3 lbs, and I've used it a few times. It's more of a bivy type, I'm 6' and fit fine but you have to slide into it from the end. Can't sit up in it, but keeps the elements out.

(edit)------------------

Started to load the bike. Anybody else need this tent before it goes back on the shelf?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Welcome Jim, long ride from Colorado! I think you may have campfire beat by a few miles!

·
Registered
298 Posts
My boss generously gave me Friday off. So I will be riding up in daylight. What time is early enough, vs. too early to arrive?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
I'd prefer if it wasn't before 5, gotta pick up the boy from the bus, then get here to meet everyone and set up to burn some burgers!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
ALL, I plan on firing up the BBQ around 6:30. This will be BYOB. I'm gonna have burgers and fixins here. If you choose to bring something different, we can surely throw it on the grill. I have either gas or charcoal (I use solid mesquite coals) The store is onl;y a few minutes away if you need or forgot something.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
There are no amenities of any kind at the camp area. All riders should be prepared to eat/drink what they brought. Like I said at the beginning of this thread, if you didnt bring it, it aint there. You will see some of the most awesome backcountry AZ has to offer but that comes without a waitress or shower.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm planning to be there shortly after 5:00 Friday.

So far, I have purchased for this trip:
an Ozark Trail small sleeping bag from Walmart, $40

a cheap kid's tent at a swap meet, $7

a footprint for the tent, $10

a very nice self inflating sleeping pad from Costco, 3" thick, $34

a not as nice self inflating sleeping pad from Wal-Mart, 1" thick. but less than half the size $34.

(need to decide which to take. If I can carry what I need and bring the big one, that's what I'll do.)

2 self heating MREs from Cabela, $6 each. Ate one for lunch today. Not great, edible

2 giant Payday candy bars, 2 jumbo Slim Jims

some beef jerky

3 small rolls of camp toilet paper

a 12 pack of disposable pre moistened wash cloths

some coffee flavored drinks

Had to remove 2 pics, so on those you will be required to use your imagination. :)

bottled water (quantity to be determined)

2 quarts oil.

Considering taking a chair.

Need to add:
2 pair underwear
2 pair socks
walk around shoes
a pair of pants (I like rip stop Wrangler cargos for this sort of thing)
a couple T shirts
1 Long sleeved shirt
my trusty wind breaker, I wear it over my Fly Racing jacket in cooler weather, as it stops the wind and makes the summer weight jacket quite warm! Doubles as a nice jacket for in-camp.

Also going to pick up an LED array flashlight at Harbor Freight for light at the camp.

I always bring a spare key and my Spyderco knife.

Shouldn't need to carry extra fuel.

Will add to this as I think of it, as space (on the bike ) allows.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
heater meals! my God I haven't seen those in a while. We used to get those once in a while in the Army. Survival food is what I would call them, although handy. Looks like you're pretty well prepared, as long as you can get it up here! I would suggest doing your best to dust proof the sleeping and clothing gear.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
going to load everything up tomorrow, i know i have enough room and such been on longer trips than this but it is always nice to know what things will fall off IF and when they do. just gotta make sure i got it all synched up enough for some offroad fun.

161 - 180 of 204 Posts