Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's winter this week, but that's okay because I need to swap out the clutch friction plates and springs anyway.

Here's a few shots from last fall:

I turned 40 the day this pic was taken. Figured it was a good way to spend a birthday. :28:

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I turned 40 the day this pic was taken. Figured it was a good way to spend a birthday. :28:
Great photos, and that looked like a lot more fun than I had the day I turned 40.. I was working at a paper mill 8 hours from home, and I went to Walmart to buy a 6 pack of beer.. They didn't card me..:( I figured I'd at least get a Happy Birthday from the Walmart person checking my ID for beer.

:(

Now to get spring here...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nice pics tumble, like the paint job. Between the scabbard, knobbies, and hi-tech topbox looks like you are ready for some adventure. :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Tell me more about the paint job, did you do it?
How did you do the tank? I mean to keep the gas from staining and washing it away.
Ive been thinking about going solid in the color dept myself, never liked flashy graphics.

Not to rub it in but the weather here has been awsome:

Thursday
clear Clear. High of 72°F. Winds less than 5 mph.

But our rent is higher.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Not to rub it in but the weather here has been awsome:

Thursday
clear Clear. High of 72°F. Winds less than 5 mph.

But our rent is higher.
I'm guessing a few more people to to dodge too ;)

Paint is Krylon Fusion. Gas eats it away, but touch-ups are easy and cheap- around six bucks a can. My bike is an old 1993 that I picked up for $900. It had the finish of the era when I got it, but I'm in agreement with you about bright colors. I doubt I ever sell this bike anyway, so I'm not too concerned about the rattle can finish.

I'd like to paint the tank with a flat khaki automotive paint. Someday. You'd think there would be military surplus stuff available.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Looks sweet!

I've always been a fan of the heat resistant BBQ paint for lots of things.
Especially manifold and tail pipes, keeps them looking good for a long time.
I was considering doing up the wheels in black but somewhere I read that the paint
does something bad to the alloy, anybody got input on this?

Also, not to jack the thread, but....whats the trick to getting paint on the tank to
hold under fuel spills and such? Lots of clear coat.

I'm not a perfectionist but thats the one thing that has prevented me from pulling the
tank and all the covers and going for it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The paint on my tank is pretty well jacked up beneath the tank bag. But the tank bag is always on it, so no biggie. Looks like heck when I lift the bag to fill 'er up.

I found this site as a possible supplier for real paint:

http://www.armyjeepparts.com/order_page/paint_bottom_1.htm

30277 Lusterless Desert Sandust
1970 to present.

Spray cans: $ 6.50ea.
Case of 12 spray cans $ 69.00
+
UPS Charges $ 21.00 Hazardous Material Fee
+
Case of Spray Paint = $ 12.00-$17.50 (Shipping Only)​

So.... case price per unit at the highest S&H rate is only $8.96. Not too bad :character00268:

·
Premium Member
5,580 Posts
tumbleweedracer;96621 I'd like to paint the tank with a flat khaki automotive paint. Someday. You'd think there would be military surplus stuff available.[/QUOTE said:
This is just an educated guess being an ex-Army guy, but if nobody can find any mil-surplus tan/khaki paint, it's mostly likely because all that paint they use on aircraft, vehicles, equipment, etc. is CARC (Chemical Agent Resistant Coating) and is laced with all kinds of weird chemicals and compounds to keep it from soaking up and retaining residue from chemical weapons. I doubt they'd release it for sale to the public.

·
Premium Member
5,580 Posts
I found this site as a possible supplier for real paint:

http://www.armyjeepparts.com/order_page/paint_bottom_1.htm

30277 Lusterless Desert Sandust
1970 to present.

Spray cans: $ 6.50ea.
Case of 12 spray cans $ 69.00
+
UPS Charges $ 21.00 Hazardous Material Fee
+
Case of Spray Paint = $ 12.00-$17.50 (Shipping Only)​

So.... case price per unit at the highest S&H rate is only $8.96. Not too bad :character00268:
I would think that enamel would hold up well to gasoline spills and the general abuse a gas tank is subjected do. I've actually been thinking of going with a vintage Olive Drab theme on mine for next year. I'll bookmark this site as a source for paint.

I guess the challenge is finding matching paint that will work on both the plastics and a paint like that above for the tank.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Cool website!
Also got me thinking more about maybe going with a "wrap" instead of paint.
Has anybody done that with success

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I would think that enamel would hold up well to gasoline spills and the general abuse a gas tank is subjected do. I've actually been thinking of going with a vintage Olive Drab theme on mine for next year. I'll bookmark this site as a source for paint.

I guess the challenge is finding matching paint that will work on both the plastics and a paint like that above for the tank.
I saw one bike that was painted both OD and khaki. Looked pretty good!

Found it! (not my pics- he posted these on his flickr account) This guy goes by 'Gypsysteel' on the 'other' site ;)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Spring can't get here fast enough. I really, REALLY want to ride to work today, but the forecast is 30% chance of precip (with potential for passing snow shower) and since I come home after midnight, it could potentially freeze. Been driving my van around last four days. I need to get back on my bikes. Any time I have ridden when they say 40% chance of crappy weather, it always becomes 100%, but I really feel like taking the chance.... :50:

·
Registered
85 Posts
rode the klr in yesterday. About 20-25 F when i left and 35 F on the way home. I want to get out on the tu250x but just not enough wind protection (plus its a little cramped with all my winter gear on). The klr has awesome protection with the tall screen.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I replaced the clutch plates and springs this morning. It wasn't as big of a job as I had feared. Made a HUGE difference in the feel of the bike. I should have done it sooner.

Here's the new clutch plates just before I put the cover back on:

Here's the springs- top spring was old, bottom was one of the new springs. The old springs were permanent compressed by about one coil thickness. I didn't measure the old, just installed new.

Then, I went for a ride in the 50 degree weather:) There's another snowstorm moving in tonight :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts